MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do most residency programs offer 401k or 403b? I prob should have taken note of this during interviews, but now I'm curious... xD
I would think most offer them. Whether or not they offer a matching contribution is going to vary wildly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
(srsly not trying to humble brag or be annoying- for future applicants reading this)

I never got a response after sending my LOI to my #1 (or any post-interview communication), and I ended up matching there. I think the no response thing can be scary, but you can still match there so don't read too much into it. On the flip side I know friends who got ranked to match emails and didn't match at those programs :(

Also did not get a response to my #1 after sending an LOI and matched there. PD told me when he called Friday after the match that I was “very high if not at the top of their list.” Don’t think it made a difference but who knows

Same. Not only did I not get a response to my LOI, I also didn’t even get the interview invite until the last half of January. Matched there.

also adding to the list - no communication from my #1, even after a LOI. But I matched there!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Set up online rotations and vacation. Should be the way it is every year. Allows us time to get situated in our new places and cities

Our school technically doesn't allow us to do online/virtual rotations :(
+ 1 to this. School was very worried about PDs complaining about online rotations through this COVID. I can understand this pre-pandemic but its a pandemic. Its hard to obtain rotations w/o a home hospital.

Over summer it was pretty easy. Now, they made it very difficult to obtain online rotations now.

Little late to the party, but matched my #1 for gen surg🥳 feels a little weird to not have something to constantly stress about now haha but such a great feeling to know your top choice wanted you too. Now to figure out renting vs buying a house...

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Little late to the party, but matched my #1 for gen surg🥳 feels a little weird to not have something to constantly stress about now haha but such a great feeling to know your top choice wanted you too. Now to figure out renting vs buying a house...
Move onto housing stress. The market right now is worse than waiting for residency

Reactions: 2 users
Move onto housing stress. The market right now is worse than waiting for residency
Yeah, I'm slowly giving up on the idea of owning a house where I matched. Great program - expensive city. Consoling myself that we can find a good rental situation before our newest family member arrives, smack dab in the middle of intern year.

Reactions: 1 users
Such a crazy weekend. Matched at my #1, hubby put in for a new job put an offer on a house after just a virtual walkthrough. Best wishes to all.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Most programs will steer you in the right direction with what I'm about to say but I will say it again just in case:

Don't use your personal info for your NPI number. Use the residency address and whatnot. If you aren't sure, ask your PC. No reason to put all that info on the internet.

Reactions: 14 users
Curious, is this currently because of high demand low supply? Or other factors?
Its both. High demand because of low rates and people wanting to leave their 500 sq ft shoeboxes they went mad in over COVID lockdowns. Low supply because foreclosures are paused and people not really wanting to move and/or be out in the public with COVID around. Add in the normal "spring market" and its a bloodbath literally everywhere. Places at my #1 are getting 10+ offers (one got 32) and going at like 40K over asking sometimes. Its wild

Hopefully this gives some hope and crushes any worries about when in the cycle you interview. I matched my number one that didn’t offer me an interview until mid jan. And that date was their very last day and they actually added the day last minute. I had totally given up hope on that program up until then.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully this gives some hope and crushes any worries about when in the cycle you interview. I matched my number one that didn’t offer me an interview until mid jan. And that date was their very last day and they actually added the day last minute. I had totally given up hope on that program up until then.
To add more numbers to this i matched at a place I interviewed in January after getting off the waitlist. Didn’t really think I had a shot there either.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This is so true! Everything in our price range that is half decent is gone in 24 hours. I am still trying to patiently wait for my contract as I watch perfect fits fade away.

We dont have an NPI number, right? Does the program give it to us later?

we got assigned one first year of med school so I've had one but idk what i need to do to switch it to a new place or anything lol

You only have an NPI if you’ve applied for an NPI. If you had one as a previous healthcare provider then you will have to change your status to resident physician and then later to physician.
My medical school had us register for NPI numbers. The institution at which I did residency did not have their students register but had residents register.
I remember being a first-year attending and having to change my status from student to physician because I hadn’t done so in between

• Love
How's everyone doing with the housing hunt/move/end of fourth year bs? Crazy it's been a whole week since match day. What an emotional rollercoaster

How's everyone doing with the housing hunt/move/end of fourth year bs? Crazy it's been a whole week since match day. What an emotional rollercoaster

I really haven't even started - I said I'd give myself a week to just bask in it all.

But now I'm out here filling NPI **** and other on boarding forms daily.

Still haven’t received a contract and only sent my resume for an application. I am quite annoyed because we cannot get pre-qualified for a mortgage without the contract...

Still haven’t received a contract and only sent my resume for an application. I am quite annoyed because we cannot get pre-qualified for a mortgage without the contract...
How long does it typically take to get a contract?

I got lucky and renting a duplex from a classmate who's moving. It's walking distance to the hospital, so I'm happy!

Reactions: 6 users
I got lucky and renting a duplex from a classmate who's moving. It's walking distance to the hospital, so I'm happy!
Nice! I applied the other day for this perfect single unit apartment like 5 minutes from the hospital. Crossing my fingers I get it soon and can lock it down. One last thing to stress about. I feel for those buying houses. That's a different level of stress I couldn't even imagine

How long does it typically take to get a contract?

It looks like some people got them the day of Match or shortly after. I guess they legally have 10 days to get it to us and my program wants to push the limits

Just had to apply for my NPI number. Not too complicated process for resident.

Made an offer on a house that got accepted a few hours later. It was being sold by an outgoing resident. Cheaper mortgage and bigger than the house I’m currently renting. It’s gonna be a lot of house for me solo but my SO and dogs are gonna visit periodically so I need the room.

If I get lonely I can always rent out a room to visiting students every couple months.

Doing all the paperwork and arranging homeowners insurance, inspections, etc is the most stressful experience of my life and I feel like I’m just throwing money away lmao.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Made an offer on a house that got accepted a few hours later. It was being sold by an outgoing resident. Cheaper mortgage and bigger than the house I’m currently renting. It’s gonna be a lot of house for me solo but my SO and dogs are gonna visit periodically so I need the room.

If I get lonely I can always rent out a room to visiting students every couple months.

Doing all the paperwork and arranging homeowners insurance, inspections, etc is the most stressful experience of my life and I feel like I’m just throwing money away lmao.
That’s awesome! How exciting for you!

so many physician loan options... has anyone pre-qualified with one that they would recommend?

• Hmm
so many physician loan options... has anyone pre-qualified with one that they would recommend?
I've got a phone call from our loan officer tomorrow to go over or loan app options. I'm kinda curious to see what options are out there.

For these credentials paperwork, are we allowed to/supposed to say our degree is MD, esp as many of us haven't actually graduated yet? Feels weird to not put MD since the paperwork is for a job that requires the degree, but at the same time I don't want to be misrepresenting myself on a bunch of semi-legal documents

(Sorry for the dumb questions guys - just trying to spare my PC more stupid questions from me and y'all are so knowledgeable when it comes to these things)

For these credentials paperwork, are we allowed to/supposed to say our degree is MD, esp as many of us haven't actually graduated yet? Feels weird to not put MD since the paperwork is for a job that requires the degree, but at the same time I don't want to be misrepresenting myself on a bunch of semi-legal documents

(Sorry for the dumb questions guys - just trying to spare my PC more stupid questions from me and y'all are so knowledgeable when it comes to these things)
I think my program has us put down the MD so I think it's fine.

Anyone have recommendations for books regarding personal finances and paying back student loans?

Anyone have recommendations for books regarding personal finances and paying back student loans?
Ben White really explains the student loans stuff pretty clearly for me. You can read all of it from the index at the bottom or download it in pdf form.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, my program asked me to apply for state licensure. But the state licensing board requires a medical school diploma. Until we graduate, we can't get the license right?

• Hmm
Hey guys, my program asked me to apply for state licensure. But the state licensing board requires a medical school diploma. Until we graduate, we can't get the license right?
Your school/program should be able to supply a letter of good standing stating youre likely to graduate, at least thats how it’s done in my state

Most programs will steer you in the right direction with what I'm about to say but I will say it again just in case:

Don't use your personal info for your NPI number. Use the residency address and whatnot. If you aren't sure, ask your PC. No reason to put all that info on the internet.
Sorry to pull up this info from so long ago but I had a q related to this and remembered you commented on it. For the licensure application do you use your own address or the programs address (for the contact info part)? I put my programs address for the appointment info and my address for my contact info as I assumed it was needed for background checks and what not but now im doubting if I did this correctly

edit: for those wondering I checked with my PC and they said this is the correct way to do it!

Last edited:
I just got off the phone a couple hours ago with my program coordinator and this was brought up. She said that some schools will send a letter to the SBME right away, some wait until a few days prior to graduation, and some won't send it until you walk across the stage. I have no idea what my school does, but I mailed the letter to my registrar this afternoon just before the post office closed.

Just got some SBME forms notarized for my training license. I'm hoping to get everything express mailed to my program tomorrow. I also gotta do a drug test this week.

Just got some SBME forms notarized for my training license. I'm hoping to get everything express mailed to my program tomorrow. I also gotta do a drug test this week.
I haven't even received anything except a welcome email from my TY program :rofl:

• Haha
I haven't even received anything except a welcome email from my TY program :rofl:
I'm jelly bruh. My program has sent out 2 name and shame spreadsheets with all the incoming interns listed on it with who's completed what paperwork so far. I have to say it succeeded. I was shamed into getting my ass in gear.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
The housing market is a mess. Why are people trying to buy in this market? Genuinely curious.

• Love
The housing market is a mess. Why are people trying to buy in this market? Genuinely curious.
because its only gonna get worse, and even paying 5% above asking price, house still pays for itself compared to renting for another half decade