Code of Ethics

Started by I-Ball
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I-Ball

OD WANNABE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know where I can obtain the Optometry "Code of Ethics"? Given the fact that optometry is a profession I'm assuming there is one, I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks in advance,

I-Ball
 
I-Ball said:
Does anyone know where I can obtain the Optometry "Code of Ethics"? Given the fact that optometry is a profession I'm assuming there is one, I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks in advance,

I-Ball

I think I had to do research on this a couple of years ago, and all I foun was that there is the AOA code of ethics, and that each state has its own. You might want to search for your state's.
 
I-Ball said:
Does anyone know where I can obtain the Optometry "Code of Ethics"? Given the fact that optometry is a profession I'm assuming there is one, I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks in advance,

I-Ball
SCO sent me a copy last semester, I’ll dig it up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It Shall be de Ideal, the Resolve, and the Duty of Members of the American Optometric Association:
To keep the visual welfare of the patient uppermost at all times;
To promote in every possible way, in collaboration with the Association, better care of the visual needs of mankind;
To enhance continuously their educational and technical proficiency to the end that their patients shall receive the benefits of all acknowledge improvements in visual care;
To see that no person shall lack visual care, regardless of his financial status;
To advice the patient whenever consultation with an optometric colleague or reference for other professional care seems advisable;
To hold in professional confidence all information concerning a patient and to use such data only to the benefit of the patient;
To conduct themselves as exemplary citizens;
To maintain their offices and practices in keeping with professional standards;
To promote and maintain cordial and unselfish relationships with members of their own profession and of other professions for the exchange of information to the advantage of mankind.

American Optometric Association, 1944.