PhD/PsyD Cold e-mails to potential employers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kadhir

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people had any tips for (or experiences of) cold-emailing lab PIs or clinical directors about potential staff positions on their team. Did you try to find a connection (mutual collaborator, etc.) or was it truly cold? What sort of questions are most important to ask at this stage? How specific should you get with your goals without risking a complete write-off? I know this isn't an entirely new experience for any of us- I remember my e-mails to POIs during graduate school applications some moons ago, but the objectives were different and I'm wondering what the best approach strategy is now, and when would be most appropriate to employ it during the year. For context, I'm in my 1st year of a 2-year research/clinical post-doc and would like to continue in a setting that would allow me to be a clinician within a research study or permit some sort of research/clinical split, preferably emphasis on the former. My post-doc is a combination of these two set-ups.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if people had any tips for (or experiences of) cold-emailing lab PIs or clinical directors about potential staff positions on their team. Did you try to find a connection (mutual collaborator, etc.) or was it truly cold? What sort of questions are most important to ask at this stage? How specific should you get with your goals without risking a complete write-off? I know this isn't an entirely new experience for any of us- I remember my e-mails to POIs during graduate school applications some moons ago, but the objectives were different and I'm wondering what the best approach strategy is now, and when would be most appropriate to employ it during the year. For context, I'm in my 1st year of a 2-year research/clinical post-doc and would like to continue in a setting that would allow me to be a clinician within a research study or permit some sort of research/clinical split, preferably emphasis on the former. My post-doc is a combination of these two set-ups.

Sorry to answer your question with a question of personal interest, but your post-doc sounds great! How were you able to find this combination of clinical and research involvement? And how does the day-to-day work? Thanks so much.

I sent several cold-emails to potential employers, some of whom I did not know and were not hiring in order to get my name on their radar. I also did this very early in hopes they would remember me when a position became available. I found it to be a positive experience and felt the employers liked that I showed an interest. I kept the initial emails pretty short and simple. Here is an example email:

"Hi Dr. XX,

My name is YY, and I am currently a postdoctoral fellow at ZZ, where I complete [main type of work]. Prior to my postdoc, I completed my internship at Internship Site and obtained my Ph.D. in clinical psychology with a concentration in [related field] at University.

After postdoc, I am interested in moving to [this regional area] and would like to work as a [specific type of psychologist] at [this or another site]. I do not currently see available positions at either [site], but was wondering if you expect there to be openings in about a year, or are aware of other [area of interest] opportunities in [this geographic region].

Thank you for your time.

Best,
YY"

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to answer your question with a question of personal interest, but your post-doc sounds great! How were you able to find this combination of clinical and research involvement? And how does the day-to-day work? Thanks so much.

Sent you a PM. :)

I sent several cold-emails to potential employers, some of whom I did not know and were not hiring in order to get my name on their radar. I also did this very early in hopes they would remember me when a position became available. I found it to be a positive experience and felt the employers liked that I showed an interest. I kept the initial emails pretty short and simple. Here is an example email:

"Hi Dr. XX,

My name is YY, and I am currently a postdoctoral fellow at ZZ, where I complete [main type of work]. Prior to my postdoc, I completed my internship at Internship Site and obtained my Ph.D. in clinical psychology with a concentration in [related field] at University.

After postdoc, I am interested in moving to [this regional area] and would like to work as a [specific type of psychologist] at [this or another site]. I do not currently see available positions at either [site], but was wondering if you expect there to be openings in about a year, or are aware of other [area of interest] opportunities in [this geographic region].

Thank you for your time.

Best,
YY"

Hope this helps!

Very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user