Collecting teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sobertiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out that we need to collect teeth before we start dental school.

What's the best way to go about this?

I didn't see any specific requirements regarding the amount or type of teeth (e.g. 5 canines, 5 molars, etc.). What happens if I don't end up collecting "enough" teeth?

Members don't see this ad.

Best way to do it is to stop by a few dentist, oral surgeon or periodontist offices and let them know you need teeth for dental school and ask if they wouldn’t mind giving you any extracted teeth. I personally found it helpful to leave them with a canning jar filled with a 1:10 bleach solution (with a warning label) and put a card on it with my contact info. I stopped by a few different offices then came back a few weeks later to collect them and got plenty of teeth. Once I got the teeth back I let them sit for another few days in the bleach solution then transferred them into saline solution (the bleach solution can dry them out if they’re in there too long).

You should get plenty of teeth. There’s no way to get a specific number of each as most dentists are just going to throw whatever they extract into the jar, but the more you get the better selection.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do what PreDentTechySon said, Periodontists and Oral Surgeons will have a lot! They all went through dental school. Leave a jar with them early, then have them mail it to you at school or stop by their office to collect more. Definitely another great way to go if you have more time. There are also some illegal sites our there that get teeth from questionable sources, I wouldn't recommend going through them. It's a shady market and their teeth are vastly overpriced.

*edited by a moderator for advertising*

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
how much do teeth go for:?

They are considered a biohazard and there are specific regulations for shipping them if you use a postal carrier. Under a specific volume of liquid, proper labeling, unbreakable jar within another enclosed container in case it breaks. Double check if you are asking with regards to shipping because each carrier has different regulations.

Reactions: 1 user
worried my ass off and collected a whole bag
ended up using 2
between the rest of the class and the instructors there were about 50 years worth of extra teeth
you can do your part by asking any local dentists
Any chance you still have those left over?? lol our group is hurting for some

The easiest way I found (and maybe most expensive) is to look through etsy website. They sell everything there....