college credit/science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocd2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post on SDN, although I've been reading the discussion threads for months. I'm a non-traditional student, in my early twenties. Decided to make a complete career/life change, and am now pursuing a degree in Biology, with the intention of going to med-school. My question is this: I am taking some classes at a community college before transferring to a larger state school. Will my science courses (Bio 1&2, and Chem 1&2) be acceptable and verified through AMCAS in the future? I will be taking all of my science beyond those basics at state school. I read a post somewhere that insinuated that courses taken at a tech school will be thrown out. Is there any merit to this? I'm suddenly very worried...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, welcome. Come check out the non-trad forum.

I think the recommendation is that it's better to take stuff at a 4 yr. However, quite few people (non-trads) take some of their classes at a CC both due to cost and location reasons. If you're going to take more advanced science classes at a 4 yr. and you do well at both I think you'll be fine. It'll be some what med school specific too. Some will care a lot others won't. AMCAS doesn't where whether you took your courses at a CC or not. The adcoms at med schools just want evidence that you can do well in a rigorous academic environment.

Thanks! I actually just browsed through the AMCAS website and found essentially the same answer there. I just want to be reassured that these classes will not be "thrown out" - as another post on another website stated.