College EC's on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckerPark

Float on...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college in '02. Had applied in '01 (waitlisted) and am now giving it another shot. I've done plenty of stuff since I graduated (won't bore you with that). But I'm wondering if I should include my college ECs on AMCAS.

My undergrad activities included sports, government, etc... But, since it's been 4 years, I'm wondering if I should even list them. I've thought about putting it all under one heading and stating something like 'this is what I did as an undergrad'. The other option, I guess, is to leave it off completely.

The only justification for keeping them is that some of them are explicit leadership activities. Otherwise, I'm not dying to have them on there and have other stuff to supplement my space. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

BuckerPark said:
I graduated college in '02. Had applied in '01 (waitlisted) and am now giving it another shot. I've done plenty of stuff since I graduated (won't bore you with that). But I'm wondering if I should include my college ECs on AMCAS.

My undergrad activities included sports, government, etc... But, since it's been 4 years, I'm wondering if I should even list them. I've thought about putting it all under one heading and stating something like 'this is what I did as an undergrad'. The other option, I guess, is to leave it off completely.

The only justification for keeping them is that some of them are explicit leadership activities. Otherwise, I'm not dying to have them on there and have other stuff to supplement my space. Thoughts?
First, go with the standards (in order of importance): clinical experience, research, volunteering, and teaching. All of these relate to what docs should be or what ADCOMs are looking for. So, if you have these in your ugrad background, then include them. The ADCOMs would rather see a stint in an ER from 4 years ago then not see any clincal experience at all.

Once you get those important categories taken care of, then look at publications, hobbies, honors, etc, favoring the more recent ECs. Honors like Eagle Scout never age, but being awarded summa cum laude looks better.

Spread them out, and use things that fit into multiple categories (e.g. clinical research = clin. exp. & research) to bridge gaps - you always want to look like a balanced person with diverse interests.

BuckerPark said:

If you do not have anything for leadership from the past four years, it would be a good idea to add some of the leadership activites. Try to include atleast one from each category( Research, leadership, volunteer, medical expereince, teaching....) since you have a lot of activites from college and the past four years.