College Freshman seeking advice/guidance on switching career paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proffieh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a College Freshman finishing up my first semester at a pretty large public university. I have always been enticed by the idea of pursuing a career in medicine. I'm not too sure exactly what I want to do yet, but I love the idea of becoming a surgeon. That's really beside the point though. Throughout high school, I was a bright student at the beginning but began to fall off a little bit my junior and senior years. Ended up with a 3.4 GPA, and a 33 ACT score. Both of those are high, but there's no reason I shouldn't have gotten a 4.0 and tons of AP Credits. I was really unmotivated. Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Picked business because it's only four years of school with a potential to make a ton of money one day. So far, I hate it. I hated school this semester, hated every class I was in (and I was in a lot of business classes... not just prereqs), am going to end up with a sub par GPA this semester, and I don't see myself every enjoying it. I never considered medicine as an option, because I pay for my own schooling, and I was scared of the fact that I'd have to go to school for so many years. Took out loans this year to pay for school, which was stupid - should've taken the CC college route for two years and commuted. Needed to get out of an emotionally abusive household. The only thing that I've ever enjoyed was doing community service and helping people, and the only thing that's ever really gotten me excited about school and work is the thought of becoming a doctor or surgeon. I've done a lot of thinking, and I think I've decided that I don't care if it takes 10 years from now or 15 ... I want to be a doctor. So here's where I am now...

I'm switching my major to Economics/Statistics next semester. That was decided awhile ago. I enjoy the math part, but not so much the business part Next Fall, I'm taking a break, and going to go through the paramedic course at my University. It's a 7,000 dollar, nine month course. My job will pay for this. I love the idea of working as a paramedic during school, even though I have to take a whole two semesters off to complete it (it's 18 credit hours both semesters). It pays a decent wage, the schedule is flexible, and a lot of places here are willing to work around school schedules - not to mention the medical experience. My cousin is a paramedic right now, and he's been helping me a lot. My plan after that is to work as a paramedic while I finish up my undergrad and hopefully graduate with little to no debt,pay off my current loans, and then after that, hopefully get into med school. I don't have any financial support from my parents, which is what worries me and what scared me about the whole idea of med school in the first place. I guess my question is this... Does anyone have any guidance, advice, or anything for me? Is my idea/plan completely ridiculous? I have no idea where to even start as far as what I should major in, what I should do now, etc. I enjoy statistics, but I don't know if I should switch my major or what. My parents are financially able to help me with college, but they don't offer any assistance, so as far as federal aid goes, I get very little. Most of my loans this year were private, and I'm terrified of the idea of just taking out private loans for the next three years and then taking out tons of loans for med school as well, which is where the idea of working as a paramedic came to mind - not to mention the fact that I've always wanted to do it. I guess I'm just scared right now. I'm about to alter my entire life plan, and it excites me so much but I'm terrified at the same time. Is this too much to take on? I've been working full time this semester in 17 credit hours, and it's not been too bad. I know pre-med is much more difficult, but I'll also be studying something I enjoy and am passionate about.

Sorry for the rant, I needed to get some things out. I've been keeping this bottled up to myself for months now. And thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips, and advice!

Members don't see this ad.