college major advice...nursing science-->med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplyVy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I'm currently a freshman in college. I've wanted to be a doctor for the longest time because I have a brother with a rare syndrome and as the oldest child, I've helped my parents a lot with his care. I entered college as a biology major and was disgruntled that everyone was a bio major. I looked around and was just dissatisfied because not all premed hopefuls will stay and get into + finish med school. I doubted my own ability to make my dream come true and really thought that I would make a better nurse than a doctor. I thought about the benefits of being a nurse and was lured about it. However, over winter break, I've realized that I will not be happy unless I work to make my dream come true but I have already applied to my school's nursing science major and have gotten in. So I had some time to try and plan my coursework up to graduation and found ways I could get the med school prereqs done in time to apply to med school when I'm done with getting my BSN. After reading here it seems that its not a good idea to stay with nursing...but my problem is I don't want to leave this major because I can't think of any I would rather be. I'm scared that if i do what i want to do i will be at a disadvantage because getting a bsn without practicing just seems bad and adcoms would count it against me. i didnt plan for my renewed ambition to pursue medicine and had every intention to go work as a RN and go back to become an NP...but now things have changed but i still want to be able to complete this program but go to med school..what should I do?.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you like. Undergraduate major does not matter that much and nursing is a good paying backup option if you don't get in to medical school for some reason (poor interview performance, low GPA, low MCAT, etc).

First...make a decision about what you want to do...next take your medical school pre-reqs during whatever major you choose (and do good). Indecision is a bad thing when it comes to medicine.

im doing the same exact thing. im taking 20 credits a quarter (taking my nursing classes while taking pre-reqs for med school). I am in a 5 year MSN program, and I have declared biological sciences as my minor. I will do everything it takes to get into med school, but I also want a backup plan in place just in case things dont work out. Even if I don't get into medical school, I will still have a well paying job, and I job that I would most likely find personally fulfilling. Plus, at my school nursing students can take certain classes that other majors can't- health chem, anatomy and physiology, etc. If adcoms question your decision, just tell them that you discovered your passion for medicine through nursing, and nursing gave you an opportunity to discover you would rather have a greater role in the diagnostic and treatment process (if thats really how you feel). Just have a SOLID reason why you want to go futher, and pursue a career in medicine- If you present it the right way, they can only have respect for your decision...