College of Notre Dame of Maryland pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdario86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten interview invitations from college of notre dame school of pharmacy at Maryland? I just got one today.

And can anyone clarify their 'pending ACPE credit status' to me? they say they're not a fully accredited pharm school yet. So does that mean if i end up going there, and they hypothetically don't get approved, i'm not going to become an ACPE accredited pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

IF they don't get approved, you will not be able to sit for your boards and not practice pharmacy.

well, in january they find out if they get pre-candidate status. i met the dean once and i think she's really well qualified so i don't think there should be any problems in getting their accreditation

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten interview invitations from college of notre dame school of pharmacy at Maryland? I just got one today.

Hi, can you tell me when did you submit your supplemental application?

if you don't mind, can you share your stats with us

Thanks, and good luck with you interview

And can anyone clarify their 'pending ACPE credit status' to me? they say they're not a fully accredited pharm school yet. So does that mean if i end up going there, and they hypothetically don't get approved, i'm not going to become an ACPE accredited pharmacist?

When do you have your interview? I am applying to that school also. I would be interested on how the interview goes, is it an indivual or group interview.

Just curious, but is there an essay for their supplemental? I just discovered that 2 out of the 5 schools I'm applying to just require a fee and I'm pumped (I mean, it's not like I have anything ELSE to do *sarcasm*). I probably won't be submitting my PharmCAS til the middle of next week, if there is an essay would you mind posting it or PMing me so I can get a jump on that this fall break weekend?

As I know they sent out interview invitations already

Is someone going?

Any good news?
:luck::luck::luck:

i got a rejection letter from them. I think supp application is only sent to you if you are invited. congrats to those invited!

I did remember the Notre Dame lady came in as a guest to talk at our club meeting.... Here are the notes I typed up online..

http://www.umbc.edu/studentlife/orgs/prepharm/index.php?t=2008.03.09

Oh my gosh I remember that day when she came. During her presentation she kept on giving off this condescending feeling and it really didn't help her case when she told us that she just recently transferred to Maryland to be the dean. It's good that Maryland has another potential pharmacy school but the whole not being accredited is somewhat scary. Wait did you forward these notes to the previous Pre-pharmacy club president or did you add them yourself? Are you active in the Pre-pharmacy club this year?

Has someone had an interview with Notre Dame already?
How it goes?

Thanks
:luck::luck::luck:

Same question

If someone had an interview, let us know
Any info will be helpful

Thanks

i got a rejection letter from them. I think supp application is only sent to you if you are invited. congrats to those invited!

I did remember the Notre Dame lady came in as a guest to talk at our club meeting.... Here are the notes I typed up online..

http://www.umbc.edu/studentlife/orgs/prepharm/index.php?t=2008.03.09

bluemunkie, we've PM each other before. sorry to hear. Keep fighting. I'm rooting for ya.

My stats aren't great neither and I was totally expecting a rejection letter from them too. Today, Notre Dame send me an email with a link; urging me to complete their supplemental application. yay!!

I know...I know... its only a supplemental application....everyone on this thread is expecting an interview invite feedback.

Let's be patient. From past experiences, I know new schools tend to interview a little later than the established schools. I hope this is the case with Notre Dame.

:)

btw, my email explicitly states Notre Dame is reviewing completed applications for the months of November and December. My guess is interview invites will be sent out in Dec, and interviews starting in January.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview at Notre Dame last Monday and here’s what I have to say about the school:

-The school’s campus is gorgeous. It looks like a typical liberal arts college and the library is state of the art. The faculty is VERY nice especially the Dean. The dean was a former dean of another pharmacy school and she is super accomplished. She blew my mind away. Dr. Lin is very articulate, well established and a forward thinker.
It is located in an ideal area. The surrounding area is pretty upper-class suburbia which is only a 15 min. drive from the harbor. Johns Hopkins is just few blocks away, NIH is just a metro ride away and there are pharmacies at almost every corner. So the potential and opportunities to do research are limitless. Since the program is so new and they are still waiting to get accreditation, the faculty is working hard to be professional, to be taken seriously and to get approval from the ACPE. This hard-work and professionalism were quite apparent when I met the faculty and I found it endearing. The course curriculum is unique from other schools and some courses will be taught by 2 professors (interesting). During one semester they will pair you up with a patient locally in order to understand patient-clinician interactions and I think this is really great.

In Terms of the Interview:
-I was the first one to be offered an interview according to the director so I was the first one to BE interviewed so I did not know what to expect. The interview day itself consisted of a meet and greet with the admissions director & dean, a 30-min, interview with a panel of 2 professors & a one-on-one with the admissions director going over your pre-reqs. The dean also gave a presentation discussing the course curriculum. However, she also started the presentation by asking each of us why we wanted to study at Notre Dame. So be prepared. And also be prepared to ask GOOD questions. The professors who interviewed me were really friendly and made the interview feel more like a conversation.

Advice:
The dean said that they are looking for pharmacy school students who are not only qualified academically but also have strong character and communications skills. You still have to make the cut on paper-yes-but after that, you need to exhibit strong character to back it up. As long as you can articulate yourself well, you will do fine and keep an open-mind.
Don’t get caught up on the numbers and focus on yourself.

They told me that they’re not going to send out offers of acceptance until they get pre-candidate status from the ACPE which is in January.

Do they have a simulation pharmacy built for pratice for students. What kind of questions did they ask in your interview, was there any essays that you need to write at your interview. Are you from the Maryland area? Thats good there is another pharmacy school in Maryland.

Their lab facilities are still under construction so i'm not sure. No writing assessments. As for interview questions, they asked things like:

-What particular event/who inspired you to go into pharmacy?
-If you were a policy maker, what would you change in order to improve the quality of healthcare?
-What are the qualities a pharmacist should encompass?

(Interesting question)- If you can be any antibiotic what would it be and why?
For this, i said I'd be a cocktail of antibiotics because i'm good at multi-tasking....something along those lines.

Thanks Jdario86 for the feedback!

I just received an email invite for December, excited!

I got an interview invitation too! Do you guys know if they're on rolling admissions? .. cuz the interview dates they offer are: Dec 5, Dec 12, Dec 15, and Dec 19. I'm planning to pick Dec 19 because I'll be visiting my family in Maryland for Xmas too. However, I'm not sure if they're on rolling admissions. If so, I should pick an earlier date. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wanted to interview on the last date, but i'm flying home to California for the break the day before. It would be a total waste of money to fly home, then go back to the airport on the SAME day. I had scheduled my interview on the 12th of this month. It's that soon and I have finals the following week. :scared:

I got confirmed for the 12th, time to look for expensive reservations!

I guess I'm the only one scheduled for the 19th. *sigh*. Good luck guys!:luck: Remember to post up your interview feedbacks. :D

I don't see interview feedback for Notre Dame yet

Did anybody here go to the interview yesterday? 12/5?

does anyone know how many got accepted and how many seats are left? Are there still a lot more interview dates coming?

does anyone know how many got accepted and how many seats are left? Are there still a lot more interview dates coming?

They had a couple of interviews in Nov. and Dec. However, they said they won't be sending out acceptances until they receive pre-candidate status in Jan. I'm sure they will have more interview dates later...

Their lab facilities are still under construction so i'm not sure. No writing assessments. As for interview questions, they asked things like:

-If you were a policy maker, what would you change in order to improve the quality of healthcare?

For this, i said I'd be a cocktail of antibiotics because i'm good at multi-tasking....something along those lines.

THANKS a lot for your information,
this place is really helpful!!!
i'll share mine after my interviews

Hey guys, i just got an email saying that college of Notre Dame is now pre-candidate status,it is now accredited. That is good news for those applying and getting an interview.

I had an interview a week back, everything seemed nice and they are connected with Loyola, I don't know what that college is for, but NDM has it's library connected with them. Only thing is that, they are not well prepared for the new class housing and their construction is still in its primitive stage.

People are nice, and their questions for the interview, was as usual. Nothing hard or fast, but rather questions that u get asked in regular colleges. But remember it's new school and they have to pick and choose who they wanna have, coz if their reputation.

I had an interview a week back, everything seemed nice and they are connected with Loyola, I don't know what that college is for, but NDM has it's library connected with them. Only thing is that, they are not well prepared for the new class housing and their construction is still in its primitive stage.

People are nice, and their questions for the interview, was as usual. Nothing hard or fast, but rather questions that u get asked in regular colleges. But remember it's new school and they have to pick and choose who they wanna have, coz if their reputation.

Naruto...:D.... that's one nice cartoon..lol

I just got my interview invitation today. Probably will be going on Feb 6th as I have a UMB interview around the same time.

I just got my interview invitation today. Probably will be going on Feb 6th as I have a UMB interview around the same time.
was it snail mail or email or phone call?

was it snail mail or email or phone call?

Mine was by email. Got it in the morning. I think everyone does email these days as its sure way to get in touch on a cost effective and expedient basis.

News Update:

I just want to let everyone know that admissions are now starting to contact people about acceptancees! I just got off the phone with Mr. Shattuck ... :D !

Now i have to start making some serious decisions about where I want to go. Good luck to all.

How did they contact you? Did you recieved an email first or just a phone call??....Am so nervous.......

Congratulations on getting in at ND. I am hoping to hear soon if I got in. How long do you have to make your decision.

How did they contact you? Did you recieved an email first or just a phone call??....Am so nervous.......

they email you an invitation, and you have the option of either emailing or calling mr. shattuck to schedule your interview.

No I wanted to know how long they give you to to get back to them if they made you an an official offer.

News Update:

I just want to let everyone know that admissions are now starting to contact people about acceptancees! I just got off the phone with Mr. Shattuck ... :D !

Now i have to start making some serious decisions about where I want to go. Good luck to all.

So I assume that means they call you and you were accepted? If so, congrats! Or did you call and ask about the status?

They contacted me via phone to tell me about my acceptance. I'm not 100% sure if they're going to contact others who they accepted via phone or email. When I got off the phone with mr. shattuck, he said that they mailed out responses that day (friday). I interviewed way back in October and I kept contacting admissions about my application's status all throughout November but they couldn't give me a response because they didn't get pre-candidate status yet. Now after getting pre-candidate status, they called me about my acceptance because I was waiting for a really long time. Apparently, i did super well on my interview because he mentioned how much i impressed the adcom during my interview. In terms of how much time we have to either accept or reject the offer, i'm not really sure because i forgot to ask. If they mailed out offers yesterday, people should be getting them in the mail starting monday.

But if you're dying to know and can't wait for the mail, you can contact admissions first thing monday morning.

Good luck to all!!

Last edited:
As for interview questions, they asked things like:

this post helped A LOT at my interview, especially because I want to go into healthcare policy :)

one tip - be prepared to elaborate on your answers, because the interviewers (usually two professors) are really friendly and try to keep the interview like a conversation. they might even start by asking you to elaborate on something random they see on your resume, so know it well!!

this post helped A LOT at my interview, especially because I want to go into healthcare policy :)

one tip - be prepared to elaborate on your answers, because the interviewers (usually two professors) are really friendly and try to keep the interview like a conversation. they might even start by asking you to elaborate on something random they see on your resume, so know it well!!

Me too. I'm really drawn to the school because they have an emphasis on public health issues and the dean, Dr. Lin seems to have a keen sense on socio-politcal aspects regarding healthcare. They recently held a discussion addressing rising healthcare costs in relation to pharmacy. It would be nice if they hold another discussion and open it to the public because I would be interested in attending. They also appointed Dr. O'Brien, who has a strong background in public health from Johns Hopkins, as the new assistant prof. for their administrative sciences.

I really really like the faculty for this school. They are such forward thinkers.

And another tip for prospective interviewees:
Try to look up the professors who will be interviewing you ahead of time. I was lucky to get interviewed by Dr. Culhane and Dr. Lee. Dr. Culhane is originally from NJ and my interview started out with small talk about jersey because we're both from neighboring towns from each other. And dr. Lee was really impressed with me because i talked about how I conducted breast cancer awareness month/fundraising at my school and he did research in breast cancer.

Also, the correct pronunciation of the school is 'Noter Dom' and not 'Noter Dame.' They clarified that at the begining of the interview but it's good for all of you to know ahead of time. heh heh

Last edited:
First I wanted to say Congrats to all those who have received interviews and acceptances to ND! :)

Next I want to say sorry - I just can't help but budge in. There is a strange perception on this thread that there are certain things that ND will have that makes them unique in comparison to UMB. So I want to clarify them.

UMB and Notre Dame schools are both very close to DC (about 45-1 hour away), and both near the harbor.

UMB's focus is mainly on research and clinical practice. Starting even in your first year, you can do "special projects," which is researching with any professor on campus. You will even get introduced to rotations in your first year (2 one week rotations, and 1 one day rotation). By your second year, you will be assigned a patient to work with year-round to apply some of the patient-care concepts you've learned.

Each course may be taught by various professors (can be even up to 4) who specialize in that particular area so that we get the most out of our education.

Starting next year, we will be having a new curriculum that follow more closely to the other top 10 schools in the nation - it combines all three current pharmacy school years' material so that classes are more based on disease states than separating them by subjects. This may seem confusing to you, but it's a MUCH better way of learning the material.

We are ALSO connected to Loyola. We actually have two of their professors come in to teach us the business aspect of pharmacy (a good thing, especially if you want to open up one in your future).

The last thing I wanted to say is that we do have a public health emphasis - we're even connected to the School of Public Health (attached to the Medical School) and offer you the ability to do a dual degree in public health. Many of the public health classes don't conflict with our pharmacy schedule, and as long as you take them during the school year, you don't have to pay for extra tuition.

Wow...can't believe it but just got my first acceptance ever courtesy of NDM!!!!! I will be sending in my deposit asap and have already begun looking at neighborhoods around the school. Any recomendations?

For those who might wonder, I got the letter in the mail today (MD to CO) and the letter was dated 1/14.

I got accepted too, letter dated 1/14, love the school, the place, and the people. I'm going there!!

seems to me like there is a lot of misinformation being passed around, the only difference between ND and UMB is the fact that UMB is a top 10 school with excellent reputation from coast to coast; if rankings aren't important to you, keep this in mind, rankings are based on fundings, quality of learning facilities and quality of faculty. I'm not particularly sure why any quality applicant would choose an unaccredited school over a the 9th best school in the nation... strange:rolleyes:

Where does it say, it's gotten pre-candidate status!!! I don't see it anywhere in their web site.

Where does it say, it's gotten pre-candidate status!!! I don't see it anywhere in their web site.

Yea it doesn't say it but they emailed an announcement a few days before they snail mailed the acceptance letters I believe. It also says it in the matriculation packet.

seems to me like there is a lot of misinformation being passed around, the only difference between ND and UMB is the fact that UMB is a top 10 school with excellent reputation from coast to coast; if rankings aren't important to you, keep this in mind, rankings are based on fundings, quality of learning facilities and quality of faculty. I'm not particularly sure why any quality applicant would choose an unaccredited school over a the 9th best school in the nation... strange:rolleyes:

One can choose either to be part of something that's already great or be part of something and make it great. I chose ND over other schools that are already established because I see great potential in this school & I want to start a new legacy.

Besides, ND can be just as good as UMB...We did steal some of your faculty.:laugh: jk

Can we all just get along?

One can choose either to be part of something that's already great or be part of something and make it great. I chose ND over other schools that are already established because I see great potential in this school & I want to start a new legacy.

Besides, ND can be just as good as UMB...We did steal some of your faculty.:laugh: jk

Can we all just get along?

I doubt AE or I ever said we couldn't get along. I just wanted to tell you guys about opportunities that you may not have known about. Simple as that. Like I said - misinformation.

And for the record, ND didn't steal any faculty...