Color Blind question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If 1/12 of the males in a population are red-green colorblind, what fraction of females from that population are red-green colorblind?

a)1/6
b) 1/12
C) 1/48
d) 1/144
e) no females will have the trait cause rg colorblindness is on a sex chromosome

the sample test I took with this question had another red-green colorblindness question in the science part and it was a sex linked cell. Seems to me any female who inherited the gene would have another X chromosome that is dominant therefore they would be carries and never be colorblind. The answer guide says it's D cause of 1/12 times 1/12 or something. Is the answer wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

bluesdeluxe said:
If 1/12 of the males in a population are red-green colorblind, what fraction of females from that population are red-green colorblind?

a)1/6
b) 1/12
C) 1/48
d) 1/144
e) no females will have the trait cause rg colorblindness is on a sex chromosome

the sample test I took with this question had another red-green colorblindness question in the science part and it was a sex linked cell. Seems to me any female who inherited the gene would have another X chromosome that is dominant therefore they would be carries and never be colorblind. The answer guide says it's D cause of 1/12 times 1/12 or something. Is the answer wrong?

yes it is D. Since rg colorblindness trait is recessive females need both
recessive traits to be rg colorblind. Therefore 1/12 X 1/12 = 1/144