Colorado State Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yay...i can finally answer some questions since i've been here for 5 months now. lol.

ok...so we bought a house, pm me if you want to zillow.com it. it's a 5 bed/2 bath 2016 sq ft, RIGHT off college and drake (i walked from the VTH to my house one time and it took 15 minutes...but i could've walked faster. and i had to wait for the walk signal), the lot is a little over 7500 sq ft, and it cost...$195,000!!! we were super excited cuz we're from california.

so the mortgage is $1400 including insurance. our utilities are expensive though, we dont conserve at all. trash for a 65 gall. is $26/month and internet for a year is $10/mo (for the slowest with Qwest...but will get to $30/month after the year promotion ends). water seems to be more expensive here. and there's NO toilet seat covers in some areas (like on campus and restaurants).

anyway, so my sister and i are super close so she said "wherever you go, we go" and our mom lives with us. so the whole family came: mom, sis, 3 dogs, parakeet, and turtle.

and the winter so far....sucks. lol. i'm not used to it. there have been a few days where driving was SCARY. i'll drive 5mph and i'll still skid a bit where they dont plow (like in residential areas) i also got stuck in the snow for 2 minutes and FREAKED (again in residential area) then i reversed and got out of it. lol

OH, and DEFINITELY get a garage. some people can go w/o one...but i look at my friend that lives in an apt and when it snows, she gets up 20 min early so she can start her car to warm it up and take all the snow off it.

and some houses dont come with a/c....which it got pretty hot during the summer.

and i bought a brand new bike at a garage sale $40, it's super cute. but i haven't ridden it anywhere. a couple of classmates said that they want to go bike riding when the snow stops and just go through the trails around here.

EVERYONE here likes the outdoors. thats why a lot like fort collins. i thought i'd like the outdoors...but there's bugs.

my sister and i are trying to get more active though, so we're going to take ice skating lessons starting next week and over summer we want to take kayaking lessons.


minnerbelle...there's a classmate that's 22 or something. so you aren't the only young one!

.

i gotta get going. let's try lucilles!! i've been wanting to try it, we went on new years but there was a 45 min wait. it looks super cute on the inside too.
 
so i dont know if you guys know this but the veterinary teaching hospital (VTH) is like a mile away from the main campus. and our classes for the first two yrs are at the main campus and the last two are at the VTH.

on the main campus, our classes are right off Lake Street. and there's a train that runs through the school, so if you never want to deal with it, i'd live on the west side of the train tracks. and know that it runs a few times a day (at least) and at night, and it's LOUD. but if you get a basement bedroom, you probably wont hear it.

you'll also get a link from CSU of a housing website. its for vet students only. it's supposed to have good deals.

and i think your last year of vet school, when you're on call, you have to be there w/ in 20 min. that's what i heard anyway.

and if you consider buying....i'll tell you the name of my realtor--so you DON'T use her. she was an idiot.
 
Fort Collins has one of the highest number of restaurants per capita ratios in the US. I was told there are literally more seats in restaurants then residents. Ironically most of the popular restaurants are usually packed on Weekend evenings. Fort Collins also prides itself on its beer and being healthy/green (I know odd combo). Bike trails abound, but traffic is reasonable, and parking is not that bad.

I grew up in Colorado, and perhaps I am baised now living in Fairbanks Alaska, but I loved the winters in Fort Colllins. The weather changes alot, so a day of snow in generally not followed by another. There is usually not more then a couple inches on the ground. Some years we get barely any and it quickly melts away. Every few years there is a big snow, but within a couple weeks it has melted down. the front range is dry, so the cold is not humid.

Most 1 bedroom apartments/houses are $7-900 a month to rent. Living with others I had rent down to $300.

Fort Collins is vert spread out. Becareful when looking for places not to wind up too far south or east. The VTH is on Drake, south of campus. Old town (down town, city center) is just north of Campus. The foothills are ~ 2 miles west of campus. Housing next to the University and near old town, is usually full of undergrads, can be loud and messy.

I love the town and the University. Fort Collins is way better than Boulder! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I checked my status page this AM and...

I'M IN!!!!! :soexcited:

I'm so excited, I literally can't stop...twitching...I guess is the best way to describe it. So while I also have an acceptance to Washington and still have 6 more schools to hear from, I'm really really stoked about CSU.

So I'm 26 and a WICHE student. I love the outdoors. I own a pit mix named Cookie is the most amazing dog I've ever owner. I'm interested in small animal medicine, shelter medicine and behavior at the moment, but I'm also one of those people that want to do it all. I can't wait for classes to start in the Fall, I'm really excited about all the opportunities.

Congrats to all.
 
Last edited:
I checked my status page this AM and...

I'M IN!!!!! :soexcited:

I'm so excited, I literally can't stop...twitching...I guess is the best way to describe it. So while I also have an acceptance to Washington and still have 6 more schools to hear from, I'm really really stoked about CSU.

Hooray Chill1818! Congratulations and welcome!

:claps:
 
congratulations!!! so are you definitely coming to CSU? 🙂

and chill....theres another student here that has a 10 yr old pitbull also! named Finn. 🙂
 
Hooray Chill1818! Welcome!

I'm planning on showing up at Lucile's at 1:30 on the 20th. I'll wear my panda sweatshirt. Woohoo!

Winters in FC--I also like them, because it's 1) dry and 2) usually sunny, even if it's cold. The snow doesn't stick around long.

...and there's NO toilet seat covers in some areas (like on campus and restaurants).

Heh. That cracked me up, ckgilabert. You said seat covers, but at first I thought you meant toilet seats. We're more civilized than that! :laugh:

BTW, Just found out my new cat and I are getting our 15 minutes of fame today--I adopted him in Nov. from Best Friends and we are on their home page today, including video! (Mr. Tabby's face in the video is priceless... he's going, "WHAT THE...?")
 
perfect! and i'll wear my "happy cows are treated by great vets, great vets come from cal poly pomona" or my csu vet sweater. LOL. i'll try to round up everyone else too.

and from what i see from how coloradoans drive...i'm not sure you're THAT civilized. LOL 🙂

and how cool that you're on the front page of the website! and congrats on the new baby! we should bring pictures of our pets on wednesday so we can brag. 🙂

see you at luciles!
 
My letter finally made it up to Fairbanks yesterday. I was surprised to see that my offer was provisional pending my satisfactory completion of physics.

The odd part of that was I satisfactorily completed two physics classes as an undergrad at CSU in 2002 and 2004.

I contacted Dr. Stewart and my offer is no longer provisional.

I was really freaking out.

I know it was just a silly oversight, but it makes me concerned for other applicants that may have been rejected or accepted provisionally because of similar oversights.

Could have been worse.... GO RAMS!!
 
perfect! and i'll wear my "happy cows are treated by great vets, great vets come from cal poly pomona" or my csu vet sweater. LOL. i'll try to round up everyone else too.

and from what i see from how coloradoans drive...i'm not sure you're THAT civilized. LOL 🙂

and how cool that you're on the front page of the website! and congrats on the new baby! we should bring pictures of our pets on wednesday so we can brag. 🙂

see you at luciles!
i'll be there wearing something
 
Congrats Chill1818!!! :highfive:

Thanks so much everyone for all the info about fort collins! OMG under $200k for a house!?!? I was thinking about vet teching at the humane society in the Bay Area where you can't buy a house for under $1 million... and decided that $12/hr wasn't going to keep a roof over my head... and alas, that's how i ended up in research. it turned out for the better, since i think that's one of the biggest reasons why i got in!

HAVE FUN at the get together! (it'd be awesome if someone could post "minutes" type little notes about it on here for those of us who are far away! nothing formal, but if someone says something that's super funny or insightful i'd love to know!)
 
Hi! I'll be moving to Fort Collins from Iowa as soon as I graduate in May... I've been accepted to the DVM/MPH combo program so I'll be doing my first year in the MPH program and actually graduate vet school c/o 2015. Does anyone know much about the combination program or know of anyone who is in it?
Congrats to those of you who have heard back and been accepted for c/o 2014! Just thought I'd post something to touch base with people, as I know virtually no one in Fort Collins. Should be an adventure 🙂 SO excited!🙂
 
Congrats arbolado!! 'Fraid I can't help you with info on the DVM/MPH program, but can be the first to welcome you to Colorado! 🙂
 
Congrats Arbolado!!!! I know one person here in the MPH/DVM program so hopefully I can get you two connected when you get here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YAY!!! congratulations!!!!

and yeah...i dont know anything about dual programs either. sorry.

BUT....when you move here....we'll all have to get together for lunch!
 
I've been accepted to the DVM/MPH combo program so I'll be doing my first year in the MPH program and actually graduate vet school c/o 2015. Does anyone know much about the combination program or know of anyone who is in it?

Hey arbolado that is soo cool. I remember when they first were talking about that program and it sounded amazing, and I imagine rather lucrative.

I'd be happy to show you around Fort Fun sometime (when we both get there)

Is anyone else having a harder time following the SDN threads now that you know where are going? I am glad that we moved this CSU one back onto the font page.... because we rock!
 
Hello everyone! I was just wondering if we are still on for some lunch tomorrow? I am looking forward to meet all of you 🙂
 
I'm sorry about your migraine ihearpandas 🙁 Hope you are feeling better today. I completely forgot about Lucile's closing early. Should we meet earlier or somewhere else? If I don't hear anything I will just be there at 1:30. I have red hair....hard to miss.
 
I'm sorry about your migraine ihearpandas 🙁 Hope you are feeling better today. I completely forgot about Lucile's closing early. Should we meet earlier or somewhere else? If I don't hear anything I will just be there at 1:30. I have red hair....hard to miss.

I will be there at 1:30. I have a 2+ hour drive, so if there is going to be a time change, need to know very soon! (no smart phone either). Also red hair.
 
I will be there at 1:30. I have a 2+ hour drive, so if there is going to be a time change, need to know very soon! (no smart phone either). Also red hair.


Yikes, CSU, 2+ hours?? I thought my commute was bad...

How bout we stick to the original plan, and if Lucile's doesn't like it there are plenty of other places nearby that will take our money that we really should be saving for vet school but have the right to celebrate with just this once. 🙂
 
Yikes, CSU, 2+ hours?? I thought my commute was bad...

How bout we stick to the original plan, and if Lucile's doesn't like it there are plenty of other places nearby that will take our money that we really should be saving for vet school but have the right to celebrate with just this once. 🙂

see you there!
 
i had a lot of fun too!!! we're definitely planning another get together. maybe at the end of the semester? or if you want it earlier, that's totally cool with me. but i have to say...i was really disappointed! you'd think with the long lines and the wait that luciles usually has, that they have great food.

we should've just gone to buttercream cupcakery. lol. 🙂

anyway, i'm still open to trying new foods or different restaurants.

it was seriously a lot of fun meeting our classmates though!!!! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, my potatoes were delish, sorry yours wasn't good @ckgilabert... but I'm totally up for the cupcakery next time!

Facebook idiocy resolved, everyone... I wondered why no one was joining the group, then realized I didn't have FB set to email me when someone joined. Duh... Apparently I am smart enough to be a vet, though, heh heh.
 
Oh, my potatoes were delish, sorry yours wasn't good @ckgilabert... but I'm totally up for the cupcakery next time!

Facebook idiocy resolved, everyone... I wondered why no one was joining the group, then realized I didn't have FB set to email me when someone joined. Duh... Apparently I am smart enough to be a vet, though, heh heh.

Hey, the company was good...doesn't so much matter that the food was so so.
 
Hey everyone. I don't know if you all got this email, but it looks like CSU is having a Shelter Medicine Mini-Conference. March 27th at the VTH. I am not sure how to attach the flier and there doesn't seem to be a website with info. So, I'm just going to copy and paste in here!

ASPCA/CSU Shelter Medicine
Mini-Conference 2010
When: March 27, 2010 (8:30a-5p)
Where: CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital Animal Cancer Center Room 221
What: Shelter Medicine Mini-Conference
Who: Shelter staff/volunteers/humane organizations/veterinary students - anyone interested!
Thanks to generous sponsorship from the ASPCA and the CSU Center for Companion Animal Studies, registration is FREE. Thanks to Colorado State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital for hosting this event, which is accredited for 7 hours of state approved CE. Come join us for a fun day of learning and networking!
Conference Schedule: Topics and Speakers:
8:00a: Check-In and Breakfast
8:30a: Welcome & Current research updates (Dr. Michael Lappin)
9:30a: Zoonotic Disease in the Shelter (Dr. Elise Gingrich)
10:30a: Shelter Triage – Dealing with Emergencies (Dr. Timothy Hackett)
11:30a: Assessing and Managing Pain in the Shelter (Dr. Kursheed Mama)
12:30a: Lunch & option to tour teaching hospital (provided)
1:30p: Being the Animal 411 Service (Ms. Judy Calhoun)
2:30p: Customer and Client Care (Ms. Susan Britt)
3:30p: Shelters, Veterinarians and the Community (Ms. Lisa Pedersen)
4:30p: Open Networking
RSVP (required) by March 1, 2010
Dr. Miranda Spindel
[email protected]
(970) 232-9623
(With a total number attending from your shelter/humane organization)
 
Last edited:
thanks cologirl!

I know that we're going. 🙂 and after the event we'll go to buttercream cupcakery!!!
 
Don't forget to come to the VTH open-house! The freshman class is in charge of it every year, so come say hi to us and let us know you're our new 2014 class! Ask questions, meet some professors, get a tour of the VTH. It's a great way to get your feet wet. Here's the info, hope to see you there 🙂

http://csuvets.colostate.edu/openhouse.htm
 
Don't forget to come to the VTH open-house! The freshman class is in charge of it every year, so come say hi to us and let us know you're our new 2014 class! Ask questions, meet some professors, get a tour of the VTH. It's a great way to get your feet wet. Here's the info, hope to see you there 🙂

http://csuvets.colostate.edu/openhouse.htm

Yes, thanks CBRGrl!

When it gets closer, maybe we can all pick a time to meet up, and converge on the VTH en masse? (Cupcakes afterward...)
 
No problem! Hope to see you guys there, it should be a great time.
 
Thanks, I sent my RSVP for the shelter mini conference and I wrote in my book for the VTH open house!!! 🙂
 
Colorado 2014 sounds like a fun group! I might be joining you guys, still waiting to hear back from Iowa. Fort Collins is such an awesome town though, I might have to pick CSU just for that. Think there's time in a vet student's life for hiking in the mountains?
 
Colorado 2014 sounds like a fun group! I might be joining you guys, still waiting to hear back from Iowa. Fort Collins is such an awesome town though, I might have to pick CSU just for that. Think there's time in a vet student's life for hiking in the mountains?

Iowa vs. CSU?! Of course pick CSU! Well, unless you get in-state tuition at Iowa or have a thing for the plains vs. the mountains or have a house there or family or... aside from that, it's a no-brainer! 🙂

Sadly, I LIVE in the mountains west of CSU and don't have time for hiking...and I'm only doing a Master's at the moment! But it's nice to know they're there, and I do slip away every now and again...

C-S-U! C-S-U!
 
hey guys!
i have jealously been lurking in the background of this thread. i was selected as a dvm/mph alternate, as well as a dvm alternate. i'm DYING to do the csu dvm/mph program...pretty much never wanted anything more? anyone know any stats about getting off that particular waitlist???

thanks!!
 
I am also a dvm alternate. I am waiting to hear from 2 other schools, post-interview. To be honest, if I get accepted to one of them, I will probably accept. You guys sound great, and I really feel like I would fit in, but the OSS tuition is SCARY!! I still have my fingers crossed, though. Even if I do have to pay $60 grand a year, I will be happy to be in a program, finally. This is my 5th app! I only applied to my state school in the past, so this was a big step for me to put myself out there as an OSS. I was soooo happy when Co sent me the email that I was an alternate. I felt like I was finally getting somewhere!! 🙂
Congrats to everyone who made it through the hoops and got an official acceptance!! Maybe I will be on that list soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi--

Did you guys see this? It was in the admissions portal. Does this mean they have stuff specifically for us on that Friday? I emailed my RSVP. Maybe I'll get a schedule back, or something...

"COME VISIT OUR CAMPUS AND FACILITIES!! We would like to enthusiastically invite you to visit our University and College facilities. We will be sponsoring our annual Pre-Veterinary Visit Day on Friday, April 9, 2010, and will have a full day of activities planned. If you would like to attend, please email Laura Axvig at DVMTours -at- hotmail dotcom to make a reservation. We would also be happy to arrange a visit at another time and will do our best to accommodate specific requests in your area of career interests."
 
thanks iheartpandas! your sweet message made my (snow)day! hopefully i'll write back with good news in the next few months!
 
Hi! I'm little late to the whole forum site but I wanted to look around and see who else was planning on going to CSU. I'm an out of state student and have lived in Florida for most of my life so the thought of the cold and the mountains is really exciting! I may be hitting you guys up for tips on what kind of cold weather gear to buy since I have basically none, lol. My mom and I are heading out the last weekend of February to tour the school and look around the area for housing! Hopefully that'll be the deciding factor against the other schools!
 
Hi--

Did you guys see this? It was in the admissions portal. Does this mean they have stuff specifically for us on that Friday? I emailed my RSVP. Maybe I'll get a schedule back, or something...

"COME VISIT OUR CAMPUS AND FACILITIES!! We would like to enthusiastically invite you to visit our University and College facilities. We will be sponsoring our annual Pre-Veterinary Visit Day on Friday, April 9, 2010, and will have a full day of activities planned. If you would like to attend, please email Laura Axvig at DVMTours -at- hotmail dotcom to make a reservation. We would also be happy to arrange a visit at another time and will do our best to accommodate specific requests in your area of career interests."

I RSVPed for this and asked if there was going to be anything special just for PVM students (since it was advertised in the admissions portal and it says there is a full day of activities planned, which made it look as though they were doing something other than just what's described here: http://csuvets.colostate.edu/openhouse.htm).

Anywho, here is the response:

This event is open to anyone interested in Veterinary Medicine. The events are geared towards students that are looking to apply to the program or have been accepted and want to know more about the program and see the facilities. Activities will run all day from approximately 8:00 to 4:30ish.

Well, I'm signed up. Maybe I'll see some of you there...