Colorado State Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if those of you that have house already living in apartment complexes or signle family homes with roommates. I'm trying to figure out if I want to live in a building that could potentially house undgrads and how annoyed that will make me 🙂. If you do live in a complex, do you have any recommendations of ones that are quiet an/or close to campus? Thanks!

I did my undergrad at CSU and ended up renting a condo off Fossil Creek Pkwy in the Fossil Creek Condo complex. It was beautiful, inexpensive and backed right up to Fossil Creek Park which has a dog park, the bike/hiking trail that runs through a large part of the town, a lake, fields, etc. They're privately owned but if you can find one I would highly recommend it! It's straight up College about 2 mins South of the College/Harmony intersection and in more of a family/suburb type area then the complexes right next to campus. I easily biked to class in nicer weather (kind of a ride though at ~25-40 mins depending on which route I took) or it's about a 5-15 min drive depending on how you hit the lights on College :laugh:.

I lived in The Piers apartments for half a semester as well. Expensive, old, noisy and definitely not worth the hassle! I had several friends that lived in The Seasons apartments and they really liked those, not sure of the rent since the three of them shared a place but probably pretty reasonable. That one's closer to campus and an easy bike. Most of the apartments/houses in the area are pretty comparable price wise.

The Seasons: http://www.theseasonsathorsetoothcrossing.com/2/Apartments-for-Rent-in-Fort-Collins-Colorado/

Where I lived doesn't have a website but it does have a youtube video (makes perfect sense 😉): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIRLSp99r5Y Like I said they're privately owned but a lot of my neighbors rented their units out so it's worth keeping an eye out. I paid about $500/month for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment, no pet deposit or added rent for my two dogs.
 
Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the apartment/condo complexes that are within about a mile to the west (and south- and northwest) of campus are typically the most student-occupied and the noisiest. I had a banker friend who owned a condo near City Park and couldn't wait to leave because of all the noisy students.

The further you are from campus, definitely the likelier it is that it'll be quiet and not full of students!
 
Laser tag during finals week? ckg you are too funny. I will probably be wanting to use real bullets by the time finals week rolls around... I am ready for this semester to be DONE! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've only received information on my financial aid so far. Has anyone received any a welcome packet or anything?
 
I've only received information on my financial aid so far. Has anyone received any a welcome packet or anything?

I haven't gotten anything but a confirmation from Janet Janke about receiving my letter. She did say that we wouldn't hear from them again until May. So, I'm assuming once they get your paperwork you'll get that same email. 🙂
 
So I made an event for facebook, on Friday May 14th at 2pm at fort fun.

i hope you guys can make it!!!!

i know a few of you already said that you're not attending...and i just think that it's because you know you'll lose.

🙂
 
So have people sorted out their housing yet? I am thinking of doing a trip back to Ft. Collins May 17th through 20th to find a place for August 1st. Just wondering how everyone else is going about this whole process. So far I've started looking at Craigslist and plan on contacting the ads posted on the Facebook group page. Any suggestions?
 
So have people sorted out their housing yet? I am thinking of doing a trip back to Ft. Collins May 17th through 20th to find a place for August 1st. Just wondering how everyone else is going about this whole process. So far I've started looking at Craigslist and plan on contacting the ads posted on the Facebook group page. Any suggestions?

Stay away from anything managed by ABC Property Management!
 
Hey! Just got accepted to the DVM/mph program for next year! While I won't be in your vet class, I will be there (starting the next year after I do the mph) and would love to find a place to live! I come with a kitty and a swiss mountain dog puppy 🙂 I'm a 25/f and super laid back. PM me if you're interested in finding a place!
 
Good Morning Everyone!!!

I just signed-up for Fall classes and it made me super giddy. Now it seems more real than ever. I've decided I want to go for the business certificate, so I'll be taking accounting this Fall on Monday and Wednesday nights, anyone else going that route? And out of the 2 electives, I selected Perspectives in Veterinary Medicine.

Seeing the blocked out weekly class schedule is definitely intimidating. I haven't had a schedule that busy since High School I think, gah. I mean I was definitely busy in college, but this seems more frightening, haha. I hope my time management skills are up to par.

Have a great day.
 
Wow you guys are on top of it. I just got that email from Janet Janke about scheduling fall classes and haven't even looked at the options yet. Is anyone taking the research selective? I thought I saw that on the fist year curriculum on their website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow you guys are on top of it. I just got that email from Janet Janke about scheduling fall classes and haven't even looked at the options yet. Is anyone taking the research selective? I thought I saw that on the fist year curriculum on their website.

Signing-up for classes has always been one of my favorite moments with school, not that we get a lot of options here, but I was just super excited to do it. Plus the orientation link has been posted on the Facebook group page for a while and I've been counting down the days until registration.

The research elective is definitely an option as opposed to the perspectives in veterinary medicine. Both have rather vague descriptions (Identification and development of personal, professional, and leadership skills and orientation to PVM program and veterinary profession Vs. Topics will include descriptions of research contributing to the practice of veterinary or human medicine, research conduct, career opportunities.) For me, I'm very interested by what we are learning through research, but am 99.999% certain I will never work in a lab nor seek out a career in research, so I picked the other elective.

Oh and just a heads up, the registration code for the organ systems lab is actually 64750 and NOT 64759.

 
Hey guys,

Just wanted to chime in and say congrats to everyone who is attending CSU next fall! I am currently finishing up my first year here and LOVE IT. If anyone needs any advice on the electives or anything, just let me know (I took the perspectives class not the research class last fall). You guys are so on top of it, already registered...my class wasn't even able to register until after orientation! Congrats again!
 
Hey Guys!

Congrats on acceptance into CSU-you will love it!

I took the research perspectives class. I found it most helpful as far as being introduced to faculty research at CSU and at other institutions. We were also introduced to the CEO of the Morris Animal Foundation and gained valuable information about Morris Animal Foundation research grants. I was actually able to secure a grant from them for my research. The course coordinator really put a lot of time and effort into informing students of scholarships and externships for people interested in research, lab animal medicine. Several residents came and talked to the class as well. Minimal effort required, not ranked, and a very helpful course if research is your calling!
 
Hey guys,
On the Vet forum there is a thread about discounts for vet students but no one has posted anything about CSU. Do any of you know about the discounts we can get (besides the free hills!)?
Thanks,
Erin
 
someone wrote a list on FB for our class.

it was stuff like free heart worm testing and meds, free frontline, 40% at the VTH (i think). and i think in the SCAVMA newsletter that we got from janet has some other things on there. i totally forget.

i cant stop thinking about orientation though!!! i think pingree park will be FUN!
 
Hey future classmates,

Just wondering when most people will be out in Ft. Collins. I would love to do a hike/get together/town tour if anyone else is up for it. My dog (3yr old pit mix who loves all people/dogs and hiking/swimming) and I will be pulling out of Las Vegas around July 31st and arriving into town on August 1st/2nd. What is everyone elses plan? Oh, and I totally love the new website.
 
Hi! Yeah I'd totally be interested! There's already a bunch of us in Fort Collins.

I am basically working and cleaning up my study room till school starts. I haven't accomplished much yet though. LOL 🙂

I can't wait to meet more students!

p.s. join facebook! there's a CSU PVM 2014 page.
 
Awww that sounds so nice! I wish I could join, but I think you'll have to count me out. I've been living with my bf for the last month, and now the thought of leaving him's getting unbearable... so I decided postponing my departure to CO until the very last minute and won't be leaving until 8/12 🙁.

oh love.... love is such a beautiful but such a sad sad thing sometimes +pity+
 
Hello Fellow Class of 2014 Veterinary Students!!


My name is Ryan Peters and I am your fellow classmate. I think it would be wonderful to meet as many fellow students, their families, significant others, children, and dogs, as possible, before we start orientation on Monday August 16th! Therefore, I think a potluck at Spring Canyon Park in Fort Collins may be just the ticket. Spring Canyon is located at the far west end of Horsetooth Rd. (2626 W. Horsetooth Rd.), has an amazing universally accessible playground called Inspiration Playground, a 2-acre dog park with a lake and separate sections for unruly or tiny dogs, picnic areas, a free-ride bike course, ballfields, and trails. I believe it would be best to bring picnic blankets that we can put both inside the dog park and out, along the fence, so that everyone can still chat and eat together but those with dogs can have their space inside the dog area and those without wont need to sit inside the dog park. There are no super close by shelters, and shelters cost money, so I thought a picnic would be best!

I hope that everyone is in town by the 15th, and that you can spare an hour or two to meet everyone else! Here is the time: Class of 2014 Potluck - Sunday August 15 - 3pm. Since this is a potluck, please e-mail me what you think you'll be bringing so that we don't have a million desserts and no 'real food' (although desserts are certainly high on my list!). Please remember we have meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans, and those with food allergies, so please make a little card for your dish that says what it contains. Please bring a blanket, a serving utensil for your dish if needed, your family, significant others, children, dogs, etc... and your own choice of beverages. I am bringing 'Dirt' which is a dessert!

Also, for those of you who have not seen the facebook page, a fellow classmate was kind enough to create one for our class. Just go to www.facebook.com and type in the search box the following: CSU PVM Class of 2014 and join to connect with almost 60 other students already signed up.


I cannot wait to meet every one of you and I look forward to sharing the next 4 years together! Once I have a few responses I will send another e-mail with the updated list of attendees and yummy treats. See you soon!

Ryan Peters
[email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted mine but I left most of it blank (the interesting jobs part, something you want people to know about you etc). I couldn't really think of something I would want announced about me in front of 200+ people that didn't sound totally lame.
 
i want to write something funny! but the pressure is getting to me. and i dont even know what to take as a 'symbol' for penigree park. 🙁

i went to the oath ceremony last year. a lot of people wrote stuff like 'i want to thank my family/spouse, etc' one girl said 'i like long walks on the beach...etc' ---that made people laugh.

i want to be memorable/hilarious.

do you guys have a symbol to take for orientation?
 
yeah... i'm too much of a lame-o to say anything funny so i think i'll just go with the basics (but i can't even figure how to answer the which state/country are you from question so hmm.... yep i'm a confused one.) it may not seem like it from all the **** i spew onto these forums, but i'm pretty self-conscious!

there was one thing that popped into my mind when i read the email about the symbol, so i guess i'll bring it... but it's super nerdy and i don't quite understand how it has anything to do with the human-animal bond or whatever. i can see the connection with vet med in the strictly medicine sense but that's it. oh wells.
 
yeah... i'm too much of a lame-o to say anything funny so i think i'll just go with the basics (but i can't even figure how to answer the which state/country are you from question so hmm.... yep i'm a confused one.) it may not seem like it from all the **** i spew onto these forums, but i'm pretty self-conscious!

there was one thing that popped into my mind when i read the email about the symbol, so i guess i'll bring it... but it's super nerdy and i don't quite understand how it has anything to do with the human-animal bond or whatever. i can see the connection with vet med in the strictly medicine sense but that's it. oh wells.


I think I put I was from 2 places (where I grew up and where I have been living the past 7 years) so I think it's ok if you put a few different places?

For the symbol, I think I know what I'm bringing but its not super small. I can hold it in my hand, ts a little iron figurine so I'm hoping they don't mean for it to be pocket sized, cause mine isn't.
 
Oh man, this is an embarassing question.
I've been looking around on the CSU CVM website and cannot find anything regarding pre-req requirements. What am I missing?
Sorry if I've clearly missed it, I'm at work and briefly scanned this post. *Sshhh don't tell I'm looking at this site while at work :meanie:
 
pre-reqs for all classes for all schools can be found at vmcas. good luck! 🙂