windora

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Does anyone have opinions of the residency program at UCHSC in Denver?

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
I interviewed there and felt that it was difficult to assess the quality of the program based upon that one experience. The campus is split--with multiple hospitals, and a new main medical campus some distance away (reachable by free shuttle). The residents I spoke with seemed happy, and there was more than one who transferred there from different programs. The stipend for PGY1s will be $41,292. They are interviewing 50 people and taking six. There are 12-16K surgical specimens at the University, with more at the other locations. It's heavy on transplant. Gyn-onc and breast are relatively high volume. I was told that you have to be "diplomatic" about making sure you get enough time to preview slides. There is a huge cancer center. 30% of graduates enter academics, the rest private practice. Labs will be moving to the new medical campus in a couple years. Surgpath has a three day rotation.

That's the gist of the notes I have on the program. To summarize, I'd say it's a decent program undergoing a big transition between campuses, and located in a beautiful outdoorsy city. A good place to slack off if you want to, but also someplace you can work hard (just my opinion). I'm personally not ranking it too highly, even though I am in love with Colorado, because I didn't think the attendings cared about the residents too much.

cjw0918

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2001
East Coast
Visit site
Status
I'd agree with a lot of what stormjen said. It's not a place that seems overly dedicated to resident education, but at the same time there are people willing to mentor you if you look for them. I really enjoyed the residents there, and my husband has a sweet job lined up in Denver. The biggest selling point seems to be Denver itself. I think the program relies on this a lot to attract applicants. Overall, I think it is a solid program where you will get decent training, but you may have to work a little harder for it. Good luck in the Match.

kaw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
Status
Is this the only program in colorado

cjw0918 said:
I'd agree with a lot of what stormjen said. It's not a place that seems overly dedicated to resident education, but at the same time there are people willing to mentor you if you look for them. I really enjoyed the residents there, and my husband has a sweet job lined up in Denver. The biggest selling point seems to be Denver itself. I think the program relies on this a lot to attract applicants. Overall, I think it is a solid program where you will get decent training, but you may have to work a little harder for it. Good luck in the Match.