colorectal polyps in children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thousandkmu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm a 1st yr clerk right now.

I have a case of a 11 y/o boy with multiple colorectal polyps and ulcers whose initial presentation was IDA. I searched for infos about polysps, and found that juvenile polyps is the most common form of polyps in children.

Uh...here're my questions...

1. How is "juvenile polyps" definitely diagnosed ? By pathological biopsy results ? (I tried but couldn't find a definite answer for this question)

2. Are "Juvenile polyps" and "Juvenile polyposis syndrome" the same?
(It says that Juvenile polyps are usually benign in Nelson, and I found that Juvenile polyposis syndrome is thought to have a great possibility of malignant change on the net. So i suppose they're different. Just wanna make sure)

Members don't see this ad.

thousandkmu said:
hi, i'm a 1st yr clerk right now.

I have a case of a 11 y/o boy with multiple colorectal polyps and ulcers whose initial presentation was IDA. I searched for infos about polysps, and found that juvenile polyps is the most common form of polyps in children.

Uh...here're my questions...

1. How is "juvenile polyps" definitely diagnosed ? By pathological biopsy results ? (I tried but couldn't find a definite answer for this question)

(It says that Juvenile polyps are usually benign in Nelson, and I found that Juvenile polyposis syndrome is thought to have a great possibility of malignant change on the net. So i suppose they're different. Just wanna make sure)

Hi!

I am only a first year in medical school but I learned a bit about some colon cancer syndromes in my Genetics class. FAP (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis) is characterized by multiple polyps even in children. www.genetests.org (search under gene reviews) or look under OMIM on the website www.ncbi.nih.gov. They are great resources. FAP seems to be correlated with mutations in the APC gene whose gene product is involved in cell adhesion and other cellular processes. I hope this helps.

thousandkmu said:

A "juvenile polyp" is a diagnosis, obtained from resection of the polyp and examination under a microscope. It is not considered to be a neoplasm (i.e. cancerous or benign growth) but it can harbor premalignant changes and is more likely to develop a neoplasm than a normal segment of bowel. However - the classification of them as inflammatory changes versus neoplastic changes is still debated, as far as I know. See here: Probably most GI docs can tell what they are grossly, but polyps can overlap in their physical appearance until you get to a microscopic picture of it, so the definitive diagnosis is made on the slide.

"polyposis" merely refers to a syndrome of multiple polyps. There are different polyposis syndromes -some, like FAP or Gardner's Syndrome predispose to the early development of colon cancer. Others like Cronkite-Canada syndrome aren't necessarily premalignant.

Thanks for replying^^

I checked the endoscopic biopsy report which says they are inflammatory polyps.

hmmm...and thanks for providing me some resources to use.^^