Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
qaztake82 said:
dude i just found out the most insane news as far as bard hall goes. the showers are coed, now this could be fun. haha

so I guess now you'll be going to columbia. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

yea ill def be requesting the floor that has the hygenists students now...

screw that, they just ought to have group showers. remember middle and high school gym classes? only it'll be coed

dear lord, for some reason, the intro to "carrie" just started going through my head :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
qaztake82 said:
dude i just found out the most insane news as far as bard hall goes. the showers are coed, now this could be fun. haha

man, don't phuck around w/ those korean chics; they're man eaters. no, i'm not talking about the fob korean chics, i'm talking about the americanized koreans. for some reason their extra domineering.

hey, when you guys went for the interview, what did you think about that lil gym at the basement of bard? anyone go over to the "armory"? what can you do there? also, anybody get past the guard at the library and got a good look inside? you think it's a good place to study?

hey do you guys have facebook by any chance? if so pm me--i'd definitely would like to know a few faces before school starts.

halitosis--i'm surprised you got into bard! when we went on the mini-tour, we weren't able to get into bard--only got a view of the exterior. i'm saddened to hear it's a dinky gym. does anyone know if is there a better gym nearby?

SillyRabbit said:
I could not imagine working during dental school even though i worked all throughout college. The class schedule is pretty packed and your free time should be used to relax or study. It's a heavy workload but if you really put in the effort it's doable.

hey, rabbit....how's d1 2nd sem? do you think the big brother, big sis system really works? what if a d1 gets a bad big sib, will other big sib help you.

also, the website has old tests from 2002....how diff are those from the ones you just took in 04?

thank you!

hey guys i just sent in my deposit today after deciding that i would die of boredom if i went to uconn and had to spend 4 years in farmington, ct. oh and by the way i have also gotten a tour of bard hall thanks to fred liu aka freedyx3 and it is ok considering you only have to pay $600.

yeah i've heard the gym at bard sucks. i might end up just using that once a week, and during weekends, go down to the undergrad campus.. hopefully they have better facilities there.

halitosis, what is the "armory"?

vandy_yankee said:
hey do you guys have facebook by any chance? if so pm me--i'd definitely would like to know a few faces before school starts.

halitosis--i'm surprised you got into bard! when we went on the mini-tour, we weren't able to get into bard--only got a view of the exterior. i'm saddened to hear it's a dinky gym. does anyone know if is there a better gym nearby?

hey, vandy, yeah i just called bard hall 2 wks b4 my interv and asked for a room. they gave me a pretty good one for ~85 dollars.

MrBenny said:
yeah i've heard the gym at bard sucks. i might end up just using that once a week, and during weekends, go down to the undergrad campus.. hopefully they have better facilities there.

halitosis, what is the "armory"?

that's a good idea. can anyone who will interv in the next few weeks check out the undergrad gym and give us a report, pls.

according to the map, there is an "armory track and field center" diagonally across from the school. i was just wondering if there's more than just grass and that plastic **** on the tracks.

I just interviewed this week. The armory is a very large building, which as of the last few years, now houses the Track Hall of Fame. Apparently, they hold some major meets there too.

The gym in Bard is supposed to be pretty old, but ok. The one down on the main campus is much larger and students can use it for a nominal fee.

have any of you guys seen the pool?

Members don't see this ad :)
the pool is actually one of the better features of the dungeon. but, i wonder what someone who swam for their univ would say about that pool.

I sent in my withdrawl from Columbia today so that is another seat for someone that wants to go there! CUSDOS rocks but the significant other is in Philly!

marshall said:
I sent in my withdrawl from Columbia today so that is another seat for someone that wants to go there! CUSDOS rocks but the significant other is in Philly!

What if you get into Harvard?!?!? :rolleyes:

marshall said:

What are your stats? I want to go to Harvard :(

Hey All
Well here is some general info you all were curious about: :cool:

GYM: Its not something to brag about, but it is convenient.
There is an aerobics room (classes available: pilates, spinning, yoga? not too sure but there are some), 6 treadmils, stairclimbers, elipitical machines, indoor racquet ball cts, indoor bball court, indoor pool, showers, few machines for abs, arms, legs, etc, some free weights.....

It serves the purpose, if you are looking for something state of the art this isnt it. And I thought my undergrad gym sucked...haha
I guess i am glad we have one, if i remember correctly not every dental school have one.

BARD SHOWERS: Yeah all but 3 are coed, dont worry it probably wont fulfill those fantasies you may be thinking of. Boys are gross and on weekends the bathrooms can get grimy :eek:

WORK: um, why would you want to? Do you really want to spend 15-20hrs a week flipping burgers for 5-6bucks an hr???? Unless you also are a lawyer or can sell some organs on the blk market, its not worth it. The money you make in one day will be enough for one night at the movies ;) Use the time to study and relax.

STUDY LOUNGES: Bard has one, i think its great. :thumbup: Very bright, great decorations, comfy chairs & tables, even comfier sofas (beware they tend to make u fall asleep when studying), its usually not cold (as most libraries are), there arent too many spaces to study adn it can be packed on weekends & exam time.

Other than that you all need to take a deep breath and RELAX!!!!!!!! Why would u want to study over the summer, i dont think it would help at all. Find a nice beach somewhere and get a tan. You have plenty of time to fret over classes in like 8months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

~sdos 08~

pisce1892 said:
BARD SHOWERS: Yeah all but 3 are coed, dont worry it probably wont fulfill those fantasies you may be thinking of. Boys are gross and on weekends the bathrooms can get grimy :eek

i knew it! boys only shower once a week, during the weekends!

Thanks for the info. I have been accepted and I am still trying to make up my mind...I still have a few days.

where are u deciding between?

souperman said:
Thanks for the info. I have been accepted and I am still trying to make up my mind...I still have a few days.

So whats the issue. If there was acutally a dental school that was better then I'd understand the uncertainty, but since there really isn't what's holding you back? :)

freedyx3 said:
So whats the issue. If there was acutally a dental school that was better then I'd understand the uncertainty, but since there really isn't what's holding you back? :)

I couldn't have said it better Fred :)

freedyx3 said:

I am wrestling with the issue too, and the only thing holding me back is simply the cost. The state school I am weighing it against (Stony Brook) is a great school, costs about 100k less, but alas, is not in NYC, where I would loooove to be for this time of my life.

If anyone could shed some light on how you made a similar decision- if you are doing it without much family contribution (I won't have this), or if any current CU students think there is enough ability (time and finances) to enjoy the city making it worth the extra cost (I realize "worth" will be a very subjective/personal definition)- I would be really interested to hear about it. Thanks!

tbrillia said:
I am wrestling with the issue too, and the only thing holding me back is simply the cost. The state school I am weighing it against (Stony Brook) is a great school, costs about 100k less, but alas, is not in NYC, where I would loooove to be for this time of my life.

If anyone could shed some light on how you made a similar decision- if you are doing it without much family contribution (I won't have this), or if any current CU students think there is enough ability (time and finances) to enjoy the city making it worth the extra cost (I realize "worth" will be a very subjective/personal definition)- I would be really interested to hear about it. Thanks!

my lord, if my state school was $100k less, i'd attend that for sure (for me, it would've only been a $40k difference). in the end, money is still money and it'll be damn important when you're out of school and trying to get out of debt (or even trying to get $$ to start the office). i doubt that we'll have anytime to really venture out and surf the city. something tells me that the years i'll be in dental school is the time to tighten the waistband. the fewer loans you take out, the better.
but it would be great for you to join the rest of columbia 2009! good luck on your decision, you're in a great position no matter what you decide!

tbrillia im making the same decision but im leaning towards stony brook. You cant go wrong with either!

vandy_yankee said:
i doubt that we'll have anytime to really venture out and surf the city. something tells me that the years i'll be in dental school is the time to tighten the waistband. the fewer loans you take out, the better.

years 3 and 4 will be all about externships, area of concentrations, fulfulling clinical requirements. with good time management, i bet you'll be able to explore the city quite a bit. but you're definitely right about saving $. frugality is a survival skill in d-school.

btw, any columbians here planning on doing an externship abroad?

hey, ill be joining the columbian family next year and would LOVE to do an externship abroad, could you tell me how that works and where you can go to, how long its for, in what year its done, etc, thanks.

Halitosis said:
years 3 and 4 will be all about externships, area of concentrations, fulfulling clinical requirements. with good time management, i bet you'll be able to explore the city quite a bit. but you're definitely right about saving $. frugality is a survival skill in d-school.

btw, any columbians here planning on doing an externship abroad?

do they offer externships abroad? If so, most definitely I would do this.

drtagman said:
where are u deciding between?
Ive decided to attend Columbia over Maryland and Loma Linda. I'm still waiting to hear from UCSF and OHSU. I am excited about CU...it is one of my top choices but UCSF would save me a lot of $ and SF would also be a rad city to live in.

souperman said:
Ive decided to attend Columbia over Maryland and Loma Linda. I'm still waiting to hear from UCSF and OHSU. I am excited about CU...it is one of my top choices but UCSF would save me a lot of $ and SF would also be a rad city to live in.

i'm in the same situation. i'm waiting for UCSF, but am thinking of sending in my deposit to Columbia soon. I also got accepted at UMDNJ, which is a pretty good state school, but if I moved to the east coast, Columbia would be a great school to go to. Did you send in your deposit?

Paulie Walnuts said:
i'm in the same situation. i'm waiting for UCSF, but am thinking of sending in my deposit to Columbia soon. I also got accepted at UMDNJ, which is a pretty good state school, but if I moved to the east coast, Columbia would be a great school to go to. Did you send in your deposit?
Yep, my deposit went in yesterday. I cant just rely on hearing from UCSF, besides I am excited about the opportunity to go to Columbia too.

ha im kinda in the same sit also, i have an interview with UCSF on the 21st, and will consider it if i get in.

vandy_yankee said:
my lord, if my state school was $100k less, i'd attend that for sure (for me, it would've only been a $40k difference). in the end, money is still money and it'll be damn important when you're out of school and trying to get out of debt (or even trying to get $$ to start the office). i doubt that we'll have anytime to really venture out and surf the city. something tells me that the years i'll be in dental school is the time to tighten the waistband. the fewer loans you take out, the better.
but it would be great for you to join the rest of columbia 2009! good luck on your decision, you're in a great position no matter what you decide!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Vandy & MEM. I think I agree with what you said Vandy. I tend to aire on the more practical side if it doesn't mean sacrificing toooo much in terms of pure enjoyment, so I am strongly leaning towards Stony. But, I am really attracted to Columbia for both the positive impression I have of the school and it's surroundings. Sigh... Where are you from that your state school costs so much?

drtagman said:
hey, ill be joining the columbian family next year and would LOVE to do an externship abroad, could you tell me how that works and where you can go to, how long its for, in what year its done, etc, thanks.

hello, hello! i just know very basic info: in your 3rd year, they send you off to an extership at a new york or foreign hospital. usually it's one month or less in duration. i know they've sent ppl to taiwan(2 wks), israel, and turkey, i think. dr. m told me to email dr. letty moss-salentijn [email protected] for more info. i'll email him!

i chose columbia over ucsf so somebody can have my spot now. i think more like an east coast girl. :D

Halitosis said:
hello, hello! i just know very basic info: in your 3rd year, they send you off to an extership at a new york or foreign hospital. usually it's one month or less in duration. i know they've sent ppl to taiwan(2 wks), israel, and turkey, i think. dr. m told me to email dr. letty moss-salentijn [email protected] for more info. i'll email him!

Wow that's sounds like fun...i'm looking forward to it. By the way, Dr.Moss-Salentijn is a female! =)

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis

may-bes: foh, tbrilla

anyone i'm missing from SDN? it's already more than 10% of the class :laugh:

just declined my acceptance...awesome school though. Have fun guys!

Add me to the list!

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops

hops said:
Add me to the list!

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, sdos2009, halitosis, hops

had to change my login now that i have finally made up my mind and confirmed that they have my deposit. also want to know if anyone who is sure about going to columbia lives in the area cause i will be most likely moving up soon to do some research there and i wouldnt mind meeting my classmates early.

:eek: :confused: :mad: hey guys, I'm thrilled there are so many of you already going to columbia, but at the same time I'm scared because my interview is in Feb. Be honest with me, do you think the chance of getting in Columbia is hot for me? :scared:

Profchaos said:
:eek: :confused: :mad: hey guys, I'm thrilled there are so many of you already going to columbia, but at the same time I'm scared because my interview is in Feb. Be honest with me, do you think the chance of getting in Columbia is hot for me? :scared:

Whats wrong with Loma Linda? I noticed you had/will have an interview there. I wish I had applied.

paolorossifan said:
Whats wrong with Loma Linda? I noticed you had/will have an interview there. I wish I had applied.
I dont know... buddy... I'm fustrated. Haven't heard a thing from Loma Linda after my interview. I hope I have a shot at Columbia. It seems like over 15 seats are definitely gone here on SDN only.

Profchaos said:
I dont know... buddy... I'm fustrated. Haven't heard a thing from Loma Linda after my interview. I hope I have a shot at Columbia. It seems like over 15 seats are definitely gone here on SDN only.

Hang in there bud I know LLU fills its class VERY slowly. Also, Columbia is going to send out more invites to interview, which means more spots must still be available.

^^^hang in there PC. if you read the threads from last year, there were ppl who got in from the waitlist even as late as may. as long as your interview goes well and you're on the waitlist, they do like you and would like you to go there. during my interview he even said "if we're interviewing you, that means we're already very interested in you." so great job on getting the interview, and good luck! you will have an awesome day on feb--make sure you tour the city too if you haven't been to nyc.

update:

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009