Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pama80 said:
sure. i know x-linked is from toronto. :)

Vancouver, right here

Members don't see this ad.

Someone at CU called me to tell me that they were sending some more orientation info (they had the wrong address on their first attempt and I had to correct it).

Anyone already receive it? Did it have anything that I had to respond to immediately? I am done with housing, student health, and finance stuff. . . and I found the student services website and completed everything that i could there.

Did we get an orientation schedule? how about a class schedule? A calendar of the first year?? thx.

Hey Canadian CU students want to get together before orientation?? I'll be in NYC on the 20th. Non-Canadians welcome too! Let the early birds get to know each other before we all congregate. PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
onetoothleft said:
Someone at CU called me to tell me that they were sending some more orientation info (they had the wrong address on their first attempt and I had to correct it).

Anyone already receive it? Did it have anything that I had to respond to immediately? I am done with housing, student health, and finance stuff. . . and I found the student services website and completed everything that i could there.

Did we get an orientation schedule? how about a class schedule? A calendar of the first year?? thx.

I got a letter listing the orientation events and requesting we send in $110 by August 8th. Nothing in the mail on the class schedule (you can see the classes on ssol.columbia.edu) or calendar here. Finally got my housing assignment in Bard too, still have to fax over the immunization health stuff. I hope you don't need the third Hep B shot to get rid of the registration hold as I'm scheduled to have that in December.

Columbia shafted me cuz I'm from Jersey. :mad: They say anyone from the greater manhattan area gets automatically waitlisted for the sin of being from NY.. but i'm from Jersey. I live just across the GWB, but still that aint Manhattan.... I just called housing and they said i was number 113 of 138 .... basically I have a month to find my own apt. Anyone else in this ****tty situation? lookin for a roommate? I'm looking for something in the 160's.. maybe a ten minute walk from campus max.

I suggest calling housing and also asking around. There are always 2-4 years in towers looking for roommates.

Yes I'm not dead. I havent posted in awhile, been real busy

173rd and Haven is a sweet place to live. I was in that university housing during grad school. My studio overlooked the Hudson and I could see from the GW bridge down to the Chrysler Bldg! I would highly recommend trying to get a place there. It's probably tougher to get than Bard Hall. Bard is ok, but the communal showers/bathrooms are kind of a drag.

Could someone tell me the address to which I should send the orientation money?

MrBenny said:
Could someone tell me the address to which I should send the orientation money?

Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery
Admissions Office
Attn: 2009 Orientation Committee
630 West 168th St., P&S 3-450
New York, NY, 10032

$110, payable to "Columbia University SDOS Student Government", by Augest 8th.

There we go~

foh said:
Admissions Office
630 West 168th St., P&S 3-450
New York, NY, 10032

$110, payable to "Columbia University SDOS Student Government", by Augest 8th.

There we go~

thanks man.

Hey Guys,

I started a little yahoo group for our SDOS class of 2009. You can post in it, but I mainly did it so that we could upload files, study aids, pictures, etc.

I think we will have our own website when we start school, but this one can be unofficial :cool:

Here is the link

Anyway, I think it would be a good way for us to get to know eachother better before school starts.

bravo!! it looks great. cool graphic. it looks like we have our class webmaster

you guys are awesome for all the reminders. my check will be in the mailbox today.

i feel like a dork but i'm getting really excited about starting...in another month! i feel like a just-graduated high schooler waiting for frosh year of college to start. summer has passed by way too fast. on a side note, i've been having weird dreams of me trying (in vain) to push all my **** inside an itty bitty dorm room.

does anyone know what the dorm restrictions are? (are we allowed to have crockpots, george foreman grills, etc?)

Members don't see this ad :)
ayg103 said:
bravo!! it looks great. cool graphic. it looks like we have our class webmaster

Thanks, I actually dont think i know enough to be a webmaster. . . . but I like the idea of having some sort of database where we can all share info. Everyone talks about having past board exams and stufy materials, so when the time comes it would be nice to circulate that kind of thing so that we have a really high average for our class.

vandy_yankee said:
on a side note, i've been having weird dreams of me trying (in vain) to push all my **** inside an itty bitty dorm room.

:laugh: I had this dream where I got to orientation and they told me that they gave my spot to some girl who got a great DAT score. I was sad. Good thing it was only a dream.

onetoothleft said:
:laugh: I had this dream where I got to orientation and they told me that they gave my spot to some girl who got a great DAT score. I was sad. Good thing it was only a dream.

was she hot, if not i am glad it was only a dream too. :D

Amazing...lets party it up, while setting a record for the highest board score in history of Columbia!!!

uclaguy said:
Amazing...lets party it up, while setting a record for the highest board score in history of Columbia!!!

good luck... it's not going to be easy. :eek:

when's the boat cruise? and yankee's or met's game this yr?

buy a nice warm jacket uclaguy... :D

StarGirl said:
buy a nice warm jacket uclaguy... :D

no hurry it is so muggy . . . subways kind of smell this time of year.

SDOS2009 said:
was she hot, if not i am glad it was only a dream too.

never saw her . . . :) you would think if I was having a bad dream that I would at least get something out of it . . . LOL I guess it doesn't work that way

when will orientation schedule be sent out? will it be posted on 2008 class website as p&s did? can we get access to that website? (need password, username)

MrBenny said:
i would say avg gpa is 3.3, 3.4, with avg dats of about 21AA.

your gpa is a bit low, so you're going to have to score very high on the DATs (23+).

this is how columbia prioritizes their admissions criteria:
#1: DAT score
#2: strength/reputation of undergraduate college
#3: GPA

You say Columbia emphasises ugrad college. Where do most of the students come from? I'm from The University of Arizona...I happen to think I'm receiving a good education but is that not the reputation they are looking for?

Thanks

SaxyDucky said:
You say Columbia emphasises ugrad college. Where do most of the students come from? I'm from The University of Arizona...I happen to think I'm receiving a good education but is that not the reputation they are looking for?

Thanks

I can't speak for "most of" but I went to Case Western Reserve University, where I majored in BioMedical Engineering, which the college is esspecially known for and ranked 4th nationally last year by USNews.

Based on the interivews I'd say there are canidates from many universities, but I'm sure some get looked upon more favorably than others. I'd like to think that my activities and sports played a role in getting all my interviews too.

x-linked said:
when will orientation schedule be sent out? will it be posted on 2008 class website as p&s did? can we get access to that website? (need password, username)

It used to be you could get on the 2008 website without a username and password, then it changed quite a few months ago. I knew I should have downloaded all of the test files when I had the chance.

We did get a list of events with the request for the check, not sure if you could call it a schedule. Anyone know what the parking is like around campus for when we move in?

MasterTLT said:
It used to be you could get on the 2008 website without a username and password, then it changed quite a few months ago. I knew I should have downloaded all of the test files when I had the chance.

We did get a list of events with the request for the check, not sure if you could call it a schedule. Anyone know what the parking is like around campus for when we move in?

thaniks :D

hey guys...can anyone give me a recommendation for a laptop that I should get?
And does anyone know the computer specifications any more in depth than what they have written on the site?

TanyaO86 said:
hey guys...can anyone give me a recommendation for a laptop that I should get?
And does anyone know the computer specifications any more in depth than what they have written on the site?

there's no requirements, some people don't even have computers, but it makes it a lot easier to have one to check email, print, read stuff on line etc and it helps later on down the road to schedule patient, but there are computers at school you can use... (I would get a PC, I heard you can't schdule patients using a Mac).

Hello upper classman:
i am wondering when the fall semester ususally is over since i will have to rush back to san francisco for jury duty. :mad:
thanks.

Can someone please post what address we are suppose to send hte orientation money to, how much we are suppose to send and to who the check is suppose to go out to. I lost the paper having all this information thanks.

yagoubian said:
Can someone please post what address we are suppose to send hte orientation money to, how much we are suppose to send and to who the check is suppose to go out to. I lost the paper having all this information thanks.

$110 by August 8th with these directions:
Please make all checks payable to Columbia University SDOS Student Government and send them to:

Admissions Office
630 West 168th Street, P & S 3-450
New York, NY 10032

Also since you lost the paper the orientation events include:

Lunch with the med students
Dinner at the Faculty Club
Dinner at an Italian restaurant
Circle Line Harbor Cruise
Night at a comedy club
Pizza with your Big Sibs
A Night Out Downtown
Orientation t-shirt and handbook
Plus lots of other activities and goodies

pama80 said:
Hello upper classman:
i am wondering when the fall semester ususally is over since i will have to rush back to san francisco for jury duty. :mad:
thanks.

I really wish they would post a schedule . . . hopefully it ends for the holidays.

You guys will get your schedule during orientation but if nothing changes from last year you'll definitely be done by the holidays-probably towards the end of the second week of December or beginning of third. Hope that helps.

Do we get labor day off?

Have most of you guys received housing?
My situation isn't looking good right now...I'm in the 100s in the 132 people long waiting list. Guess I'll have to prepare for my two hour long subway rides from Brooklyn until something changes.

Btw, I just made a new facebook account for Columbia, so if anyone would like to be added, feel free to pm me. :)

Hope all of you are enjoying the last few weeks of summer!

TanyaO86 said:
Have most of you guys received housing?
My situation isn't looking good right now...I'm in the 100s in the 132 people long waiting list. Guess I'll have to prepare for my two hour long subway rides from Brooklyn until something changes.

Btw, I just made a new facebook account for Columbia, so if anyone would like to be added, feel free to pm me. :)

Hope all of you are enjoying the last few weeks of summer!

I got my housing in Bard two weeks ago, a little later than the first group. I know there were a few people in your situation looking at apartments and wanting roommates.

I've got that double facebook thing now too, I think I'll stick with my old one as my main account for now though. Not that I use facebook for anything truly useful anyway, but it can be a great way to waste time.

what's the deal with this "quote" thing we have to send in? Is it a little self-intro blurb, or an actual quote?

quote thing?? what quote thing??

and pama, can't you get out of jury duty? usually if you're a student they excuse you, don't they? you won't even be in town!

vandy_yankee said:

We were asked to come up with a personal quote. It should be in your new columbia email address that you should have set up . . . pm me if you need more info.

Here is what the email said about the Orientation Quote:

Dear Member of Class of 2009:

Congratulations on your acceptance, you are closer than you think to
starting Dental School. But we still need a few things.
The orientation committee needs your personal quotations to go next to
your photos. For example: "Hi my name is John and ..." or what ever you
wish. Please note if you do not respond to this email then that space
will be empty ( or worse!).
Also for those who haven't sent their photos yet please do so ASAP.

Send your quotations to Levon (me) at
***(pm me, i dont want to post his email)***, with a subject line: "2009 Quotes", Don't forget to
put down your name!

That's it for know, enjoy your summer and see you soon!!!

Levon
SDOS 2008

or you can go to the class page link below my signature and it has instructions there too.

i am looking for someone to share apt with. i found something on 172nd & broadway. so if interested, pm me

thanks onetooth! i guess i should check my cubmail more often, or at least open the stuff that looks important.

mrbenny, i don't think the quotes have to be actual quotes, rather just short intros of ourselves. mine was "My name is **** and I love dark chocolate and pajamas. I hate ostriches and balloons. For my undergraduate, I went to Vanderbilt in Nashville, but after 4 years of country music and line dancing, I'm very happy to be back up north." they really didn't specify length and the directions seemed pretty open, so who knows. anything is better than a mickey mouse picture.

i am looking for someone to share apt with. i found something on 172nd & broadway. so if interested, pm me

vandy_yankee said:

and pama, can't you get out of jury duty? usually if you're a student they excuse you, don't they? you won't even be in town!

according to the letter, for those people who want to excuse due to schooling reasons, they have to show the court some evidence that our school doesn't have breaks, winter or summer, at all. :(

hi guys. i have been reading your posts and this is the first time im submitting a message. Another guy from UCLA, that cant wait to begin school soon. It sounds like we have a great group of first years. If anyone is in LA and wants to meet up before orientation, give me an email. Thanks.

superdentist said:
hi guys. i have been reading your posts and this is the first time im submitting a message. Another guy from UCLA, that cant wait to begin school soon. It sounds like we have a great group of first years. If anyone is in LA and wants to meet up before orientation, give me an email. Thanks.

Welcome to SDN! It will be fun to finally meet everyone--just two weeks left.

my god, anyone else still looking for off campus housing?

i'm cat 1 and got rejected for school housing. did any cat 2's or cat 3's get s.housing?

by the way, if you are a girl, already have a contract in hand, and is still looking for roomates, PLEASE PLEASE do not discriminate based on gender. it creates a lot of unnecessary trouble for boys. please....

Halitosis said:
my god, anyone else still looking for off campus housing?

i'm cat 1 and got rejected for school housing. did any cat 2's or cat 3's get s.housing?

by the way, if you are a girl, already have a contract in hand, and is still looking for roomates, PLEASE PLEASE do not discriminate based on gender. it creates a lot of unnecessary trouble for boys. please....

ha, true.. but we men are pigs.

Mangocat said:
You guys will get your schedule during orientation but if nothing changes from last year you'll definitely be done by the holidays-probably towards the end of the second week of December or beginning of third. Hope that helps.

does anyone know how much vacation we would get for the Holidays? anyone from the class of 2008 care to post what their freshman schedule was so that we could see a rough example?

how many people here still dont have any housing and what are u gonna do? wait till u get to ny?

Halitosis said:

but boys are dirtier. just remembering back to college, you could SMELL the difference between a boys' floor and a girls' floor. boys' floor smelled like dirty laundry mixed with beer and vomit, while the girls' floors would have scented plug-ins in the hallways.

onetooth said:
does anyone know how much vacation we would get for the Holidays? anyone from the class of 2008 care to post what their freshman schedule was so that we could see a rough example?
from what i remember, when i could still browse the past schedules, they had only 2 days (+2 weekend days) for a short turkey break and about 2.5 weeks for longer x-mas. i could be wrong...