Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am moving in on the 20th to the bard dorms, if any other dental students are moving in early lets get together and go out saturday night in the city. So basically i want to see how many people are moving in early so we all can hang out.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to dental.columbia.edu and sign in with your uni thru the "intranet" option which is on the top right. Under Calendar/Events, are all the schedules for all years. Only, it's not updated yet so it's still last years schedules.

onetoothleft said:
does anyone know how much vacation we would get for the Holidays? anyone from the class of 2008 care to post what their freshman schedule was so that we could see a rough example?

some q's about clothing:

1.do we need scrubs during the school year? i have a crapload of scrubs at home and i'll take them with me to school if we do need them

2.do we need any formal clothing during the school year? i'm sure their are some semiformals and stuff like that later on in the year, but what about in the first few months? or should i leave my dresses at home?

oh i hate packing.

Members don't see this ad :)
shibidah said:
Just go to dental.columbia.edu and sign in with your uni thru the "intranet" option which is on the top right. Under Calendar/Events, are all the schedules for all years. Only, it's not updated yet so it's still last years schedules.

Thank you so much! That is just what I needed.

You will need scrubs for anatomy. What a lot of us did last year though was combine and buy a set with our logo and class of 2008 on it, and we got a discount. But I would just bring your scrubs if you have it, you will probably throw it out at the end of the class.

I don't think you need any formal clothing, but you might as well bring it in case. Maybe you'll want to dress up at the white coat ceremony. We have a semi-formal spring semester.

vandy_yankee said:
some q's about clothing:

1.do we need scrubs during the school year? i have a crapload of scrubs at home and i'll take them with me to school if we do need them

2.do we need any formal clothing during the school year? i'm sure their are some semiformals and stuff like that later on in the year, but what about in the first few months? or should i leave my dresses at home?

oh i hate packing.

Shibidan,
haha what is "space maintenance"?? it's 1-5pm during june of year 1.

are we going to get our id's soon? or do we have to wait till orientation?

shibidah said:

Halitosis said:

You should have your ID already. It is the same as your email address, which is made from your initials and a number. So if your name is Stuart John Little, your email address might be [email protected]. And your UID would be sjl2207. You should have set up a user account online. If you are missing this information, it came with a mailing a couple of months ago.

I posted an electronic scan of this document which you can follow to sign up for your columbia email and user-ID. Just go here to our class page in the files section and look at the file named, Columbia Info Packet 05-18-2005. The information is in PDF format and can be found on page 6.

shibidah said:
What a lot of us did last year though was combine and buy a set with our logo and class of 2008 on it, and we got a discount.
That sounds like a great idea, would anyone else be interested in something like this?

Poll

oh, wait...what i meant was our student id card to present to the guards at library, etc.

IS THERE ANYONE WHO IS STILL LOOKING FOR HOUSING?

onetoothleft said:
You should have your ID already. It is the same as your email address, which is made from your initials and a number. So if your name is Stuart John Little, your email address might be [email protected]. And your UID would be sjl2207. You should have set up a user account online. If you are missing this information, it came with a mailing a couple of months ago.

I posted an electronic scan of this document which you can follow to sign up for your columbia email and user-ID. Just go here to our class page in the files section and look at the file named, Columbia Info Packet 05-18-2005. The information is in PDF format and can be found on page 6.

yagoubian said:
I am moving in on the 20th to the bard dorms, if any other dental students are moving in early lets get together and go out saturday night in the city. So basically i want to see how many people are moving in early so we all can hang out.

I'm down. I move in the 15th, but will probably be back and forth between there and a buddy's place.

how can you move in early? I was told I couldn't move in until the 23.

nyla24 said:

I'm living in the towers, I believe they have a different contract. The earliest you can move in there is the 15th.

nyla24 said:

call housing NOW. i also wanted to just move in a few days early (moving in during the weekend) and i had called housing about 1.5 months ago to ask about it. they said to call about 2 weeks before my move-in date and just tell them--they will just add a basic charge (the charge of your room X number of days early) and leave your key for you to pick up at security. but you do need to let them know asap!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok lets give this housing post another shot. i am going up to ny on the 15th and found a 2br on 172nd street, which i put in a application for. the rent would be 650 per person and i wanted to know if anyone who is looking for housing still is intrested. i dont want to sign a lease without having a the security of a roommate so i will wait till i get someone who is 100 percent, but just keep in mind apartments in this area come and go within a day. also my parents are driving up on the 25th and they are bringing a lot of the kitchen and bathroom stuff. we could also maybe arrange a trip to ikea or something to get like desks and beds. call my cell if you are intrested, 6302904617. oh and i dont discriminate against any race or GENDER, i am willing to live with anyone who is NORMAL and will do my homework for me, haha.

chirag

HollaBack said:
I'm down. I move in the 15th, but will probably be back and forth between there and a buddy's place.

hey how anout some names and numbers guys cause i am gonna be there this monday too.

sure! as long as you r a ho, you'll fit right in. j/k.

plazaday said:
grmph,yall should make me an honorary member of this club so i can hang out with you guys,too :p

Haha, I didn't even know what that was, I had to look it up. In June we have our dental classes (after the Med students are done!), and space maintenance is just Orthodontic treatment.

I think you will get your picture taken, and ID during Moving In Day (Aug 23)

Halitosis said:
Shibidan,
haha what is "space maintenance"?? it's 1-5pm during june of year 1.

sdos2009 said:
ok lets give this housing post another shot. i am going up to ny on the 15th and found a 2br on 172nd street, which i put in a application for. the rent would be 650 per person and i wanted to know if anyone who is looking for housing still is intrested. i dont want to sign a lease without having a the security of a roommate so i will wait till i get someone who is 100 percent, but just keep in mind apartments in this area come and go within a day. also my parents are driving up on the 25th and they are bringing a lot of the kitchen and bathroom stuff. we could also maybe arrange a trip to ikea or something to get like desks and beds. call my cell if you are intrested, 6302904617. oh and i dont discriminate against any race or GENDER, i am willing to live with anyone who is NORMAL and will do my homework for me, haha.

chirag

you know you might want to just get an apt and fill the spot later. You will have no trouble finding roommates. . . I have more roommates in my apt than I know what to do with. Maybe when school starts we can start a housing listing - - there should be another person who needs a place that does not know about SDN.

Ok this sucks. I'll be missing all of orientation! Damd I-20 isnt in and wont anytime soon. So I'll see you all (hopefully) when classes start. After everyone has made buddies and already knows everyone else :( . Anyone else in the same boat (yeah right)?

I suppose it will be business as usual, just hit the books when school starts...no week of fun stuff for me.

Does anyone know what the dress code will be like, at least for the first year?

I heard for some schools, it's either scrub or formal(tie/ect). Is it it like that at Columbia? Or is it casual? Can we wear jeans? (for the classes at least)

Any reply would be appreciated. It would help my packing decisions~

paolorossifan said:
Ok this sucks. I'll be missing all of orientation! Damd I-20 isnt in and wont anytime soon. So I'll see you all (hopefully) when classes start. After everyone has made buddies and already knows everyone else :( . Anyone else in the same boat (yeah right)?

I suppose it will be business as usual, just hit the books when school starts...no week of fun stuff for me.

Why RU missing orientation????

i

Last edited:
foh said:
Does anyone know what the dress code will be like, at least for the first year?

I heard for some schools, it's either scrub or formal(tie/ect). Is it it like that at Columbia? Or is it casual? Can we wear jeans? (for the classes at least)

Any reply would be appreciated. It would help my packing decisions~

i doubt there is a dress code for class. if its between wearing a tie and shirt everyday to class or not being allowed to attend, well then.. i won't be needing an alarm clock.

HollaBack said:
Finally in NYC! My name is Payam and cell number is 619-335-0875. May go out for a couple drinks with the new roomate and a couple buddies tonight and probably every night until orientation begins.

hey, hope you guys have fun, and let us know any good bars or hangouts around campus that you find. enjoy.

Hey Guys,

I'm a senior at Columbia.... just wanted to say welcome... you guys will have a blast! Don't stress about stuff now.... you'll have plenty of time for that!

Also, holla to the Canadians coming in.... I'm from T.O.

Any questions, just ask! I'll try to answer as fast and as best as I can.

Bucky

first hangover after going out with some of the class, i hope they start to hurt less. anyway hope more of you guys start calling. oh and ben i will call you saturday when u get here.

hey all,

i am moving (hopefully) into my place tomorrow. so i'll definitely be up for going out. give me a call 814-880-0156 if anyone wants to go out. my name is ajay. thanks and see you all soon.

Hey guys this is a pic of our first night out on west 4th st. You have THE VIC, whose back we can see and then Payam in orange and myself (Chirag). The second picture is of us with the naked bartender that can be spotted in some bar on 187th st.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 184

Last edited:
these are a few pictures from friday night. we added one to the crew, the new guy you see here is also a first year dental student his name is justin from LA. oh and we are taking a poll as to who is dumb and who is dumber in the 4th picture. we are going out tonight with a few people in our class and a few third years. I know there is more of you in town, so hit us up if you'd like to meet up. We will probably start in the towers and see where that takes us. We will pour a little out for the 1st year homies who aren't here yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 180
sdos2009 said:
these are a few pictures from friday night. we added one to the crew, the new guy you see here is also a first year dental student his name is justin from LA. oh and we are taking a poll as to who is dumb and who is dumber in the 4th picture. we are going out tonight with a few people in our class and a few third years. I know there is more of you in town, so hit us up if you'd like to meet up. We will probably start in the towers and see where that takes us. We will pour a little out for the 1st year homies who aren't here yet.

yall should come out further downtown ;)

we have a new member in the class here on the right, ben from LA. you have to excuse his "deer in front of the headlights look" this is his first time in a picture.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 172
Hi class of 2009,

Just wanted to let the class know that I'll be leading a trip to Fairway groceries this coming Sat sometime around noon for anyone who wants to stock up on food before school starts. If you want to do so I recommend you come since Fairway has the lowest prices by far. Other people will also be leading trips to Ikea and target. More details will available later. Enjoy your orientation cause it'll be awesome. I'm just sad I won't be able to join in the fun. Have fun and I look forward to meeting everyone.

Fred

freedyx3 said:
Hi class of 2009,

Just wanted to let the class know that I'll be leading a trip to Fairway groceries this coming Sat sometime around noon for anyone who wants to stock up on food before school starts. If you want to do so I recommend you come since Fairway has the lowest prices by far. Other people will also be leading trips to Ikea and target. More details will available later. Enjoy your orientation cause it'll be awesome. I'm just sad I won't be able to join in the fun. Have fun and I look forward to meeting everyone.

Fred

nice! hey freedy, where is the exact loc of fairway?

how often will 1st year ppl use the web academically? will we have a lot of notes to print every day?

Halitosis said:
nice! hey freedy, where is the exact loc of fairway?

Hi Hal,

We will be taking a bus that takes us to fairway so you can load up on stuff and not have to worry bout carrying it a long distance.

Also, the bus goes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (5:30 on one of those days and 6:30 on the other) so if you can't make it Saturday you can go during the week.

Mangocat said:
Also, the bus goes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (5:30 on one of those days and 6:30 on the other) so if you can't make it Saturday you can go during the week.

Whoever has her as your big sib is one hell of a lucky dental student.

freedyx3 said:
Whoever has her as your big sib is one hell of a lucky dental student.

Thanks Freedy :laugh: ...not sure if that's so true though!~

And whoever has Fred as a big sib....you'll learn all the secrets of fine Italian dining in Washington Heights ;) He has enlightened many....

Mangocat said:
Thanks Freedy :laugh: ...not sure if that's so true though!~

And whoever has Fred as a big sib....you'll learn all the secrets of fine Italian dining in Washington Heights ;) He has enlightened many....

Finding a great dining experience is really an art in the heights. Some may say food in the heights sucks but I beg to differ. I have two words for incoming freshman, Aqua Marina. That may mean nothing to you now but soon you will discover the wonder that is AM.

does anyone know when/where we buy books/syllabi?

Halitosis said:
does anyone know when/where we buy books/syllabi?

I recommend that everyone hold off on buying books for now and wait to buy them from your big sib. They will give you a great price much cheaper than if you bought it new. Other course related materials will be posted online on courseworks when the classes start.

So from what I hear it sounds like the 1st years are having a great time. Just one piece of advice. On your harbor cruise don't get drink so much that you throw up on the stairs and then have the boat turn back because you need medical attention. ;) Don't do that and you'll be all good.

freedyx3 said:
I recommend that everyone hold off on buying books for now and wait to buy them from your big sib. They will give you a great price much cheaper than if you bought it new. Other course related materials will be posted online on courseworks when the classes start.

So from what I hear it sounds like the 1st years are having a great time. Just one piece of advice. On your harbor cruise don't get drink so much that you throw up on the stairs and then have the boat turn back because you need medical attention. ;) Don't do that and you'll be all good.
ha! thanks man. i just hope my big sib still has all the books.

the orientation schd says that we'll meet the big sib on sun...why so late? you guys are still on break no? i wish we could meet them sooner so i wouldn't be so confused right now.

wait, big sibs have our photo and our contact info already right?

everyone i've met so far is awesome. i've met UCLAguy, onetoothleft, and masterTLT and they're all cool dooods. good to know that CU isn't a gathering of neurotic ppl.

^^^halitosis, who are you? i just bought some of my books online (check out the online syllabuses, they have the required texts listed for the science basic class already; there's 3 required texts). i figured i might as well buy them now instead of waiting to hear from my big sib that he's not selling them and THEN having to go get it later anyway. the 3 books costed about $200 on amazon (new, used was only $180 but i'd rather chip out the extra 20 to have virginal, unhighlighted pages) and should be delivered sat/mon (so they say).

and just for clarification, because everyone i've met so far seems to think so, i do NOT have a pen!s.

vandy_yankee said:
and just for clarification, because everyone i've met so far seems to think so, i do NOT have a pen!s.

yeah sorry about that . . . my mistake :)

I was hoping to find out who was who too! I think some people are a little shy. We need to have an SDN coming out party.

See everyone tonight!

vandy_yankee said:
everyone i've met so far is awesome. i've met UCLAguy, onetoothleft, and masterTLT and they're all cool dooods. good to know that CU isn't a gathering of neurotic ppl.

^^^halitosis, who are you? i just bought some of my books online (check out the online syllabuses, they have the required texts listed for the science basic class already; there's 3 required texts). i figured i might as well buy them now instead of waiting to hear from my big sib that he's not selling them and THEN having to go get it later anyway. the 3 books costed about $200 on amazon (new, used was only $180 but i'd rather chip out the extra 20 to have virginal, unhighlighted pages) and should be delivered sat/mon (so they say).

really? but your quote says "excretor of dark matter"...that's not something a lady would say.

wow! arent you afraid that your sib would be pissed off when he/she finds out you're not buying his/her books? i appreciate your advice, but i'm gonna go the traditional way. have to respect your elders, you know what i mean.

^^well, my big sib has not contacted me whatsoever at all...so my guess is that he's maybe not even all that into passing things onto a little sib. plus, it seems like the books we need for science basic are really the "fundamental" type books, books you generally would keep and not pass on (or even sell back!).

as for the "excretor of dark matter," i'm just a huge futurama fan. and my favorite character is nibbler (profile pic) and he is da bomb of excretion of dark matter.

onetoothleft, where were you tonight? we were looking for you: i was going to call you but no of us had your cell# the comedy club was ok and we just went out to eat afterwards (most of the other ppl also went with 2nd years out to a bar afterwards).