Columbia 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey
can anyone plz tell me the difference between advanced epidemiology and epi in infectious disease or chronic disease in columbia? how is advanced epi different as eligibility criteria is different for th:oops:ese departments?

Members don't see this ad.

I called today, very sarcastic reply...

"You applied less than a month ago and you want to know if you got accepted?"

its been a month and one day, snobby secretary!

Don't feel too bad. I submitted in November and still haven't heard a thing. I assume I've been rejected, but would it kill them to let me know? I heard from all 4 of my other schools pre-March. Granted, they were acceptances, but Columbia has really rubbed me the wrong way.

That's not all that sarcastic. It takes them time to process an application through their internal channels and most have to convene admissions committees, which literally sift through hundreds of applications. I would be absolutely shocked to hear from any school in under a month. Even hearing in two-three months and they're still doing well in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not all that sarcastic. It takes them time to process an application through their internal channels and most have to convene admissions committees, which literally sift through hundreds of applications. I would be absolutely shocked to hear from any school in under a month. Even hearing in two-three months and they're still doing well in my opinion.

If it's not sarcastic (I believe it is), it's EXTREMELY unprofessional. A better response would have been "We are still processing your application and should have a decision to you within the next several weeks. We appreciate your patience."

Yeah it was rude and defensive. I wasn't even remotely hostile on the phone. I've heard from other SOPHAS registered schools, so I figured Columbia should be up soon.

I got another award letter from their financial aid office with the same award package as I originally did (massive loans). Did this happen to anyone else? Am I too wishful to still hope that they'll award me with some grants/scholarships?

I was also accepted into Emory's program and am really impressed with all their communication with admitted students. I wished Columbia would do the same. :-(

I got another award letter from their financial aid office with the same award package as I originally did (massive loans). Did this happen to anyone else? Am I too wishful to still hope that they'll award me with some grants/scholarships?

I was also accepted into Emory's program and am really impressed with all their communication with admitted students. I wished Columbia would do the same. :-(

I still haven't gotten a first one! I got a scholarship a month or so ago but still no package.

Yo yo, for those who are thinking about on-campus housing, do you know when the registration starts?

If it's not sarcastic (I believe it is), it's EXTREMELY unprofessional. A better response would have been "We are still processing your application and should have a decision to you within the next several weeks. We appreciate your patience."

I agree that it's unprofessional and they could have handled it better but I also think that applicants need to be realistic about how admissions processes work. Their response could have just been a candid admission of shock that applicants expect to have a decision in hand so soon after submitting.

Wow, I thought some of you were exaggerating on Columbia's underwhelming FA packages... so not the case. :(

Just contacted the FinAid Dept, because I have not heard anything about FinAid apart from the intial survey. Apparently, their system did not send me an email request for additional info. It was supposed to be sent on March 7. I've been waited this whole time for nothing. Glad I called and got it straight now.

Just contacted the FinAid Dept, because I have not heard anything about FinAid apart from the intial survey. Apparently, their system did not send me an email request for additional info. It was supposed to be sent on March 7. I've been waited this whole time for nothing. Glad I called and got it straight now.

I got that email today asking for supplemental info for scholarship consideration and forms to fill out for direct student loans. Date said 3/7 but didn't know about this until today. Be sure to check this out people.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if a mailman facebook group for the class of 2015 has been started? it would be a cool way to talk with other accepted students who might not be on SDN

Was anyone choosing between Columbia and Emory for epi?

I'm having some MAJOR decision making problems. Everyone in the field I've talked to seems to think Columbia is the way to go academically, but I feel like getting to do research with a professor/having a cool job while in school is so much more likely at Emory... The professors just seemed more student-friendly, and almost everyone I talked to was working at the CDC while in school. But people keep raving about how good Columbia's epi program is.

Can anyone give me some input? I have no idea what to do!

I'll send the "help me choose" request, but for Columbia vs UCLA (HPM). Being a CA resident, UCLA would cut my loans in half, but I can't help feeling like Columbia will give me more potential in securing an east coast or international career. Was anyone here in the same boat?

I'll send the "help me choose" request, but for Columbia vs UCLA (HPM). Being a CA resident, UCLA would cut my loans in half, but I can't help feeling like Columbia will give me more potential in securing an east coast or international career. Was anyone here in the same boat?

i was in the same boat. UCLA would have been about 75% cheaper for me since I like in CA. The reason I ended up accepting my offer to Columbia despite the cost and distance is that I think the program is a much better fit for what I want to do. UCLA seems to be community focused and research based whereas Columbia is more internationally focused for my program and I will be able to travel abroad for six months to get hands-on experience through the global health certificate. Obviously everyone is different and you just have to ask yourself what is most important.

i was in the same boat. UCLA would have been about 75% cheaper for me since I like in CA. The reason I ended up accepting my offer to Columbia despite the cost and distance is that I think the program is a much better fit for what I want to do. UCLA seems to be community focused and research based whereas Columbia is more internationally focused for my program and I will be able to travel abroad for six months to get hands-on experience through the global health certificate. Obviously everyone is different and you just have to ask yourself what is most important.

Oh God, you've confirmed my fears -- Columbia is probably the better choice for me as well. At UCLA's visit day, I 100% got the impression that they focus on LA ties. In my departmental meeting, they told us that 23 out of 25 students (in the departmental cohort) did their summer 2012 practicum in LA.

May I ask what you plan to do financially? I have a tiny (TINY) bit saved up, but I can't begin to imagine how I'd survive in NYC as a student. (Please ignore if this is too personal, completely understood)

Oh God, you've confirmed my fears -- Columbia is probably the better choice for me as well. At UCLA's visit day, I 100% got the impression that they focus on LA ties. In my departmental meeting, they told us that 23 out of 25 students (in the departmental cohort) did their summer 2012 practicum in LA.

May I ask what you plan to do financially? I have a tiny (TINY) bit saved up, but I can't begin to imagine how I'd survive in NYC as a student. (Please ignore if this is too personal, completely understood)

Financially, i'm kind of screwed. I'm hoping that the loan forgiveness program sticks around. Also, I'm hoping Columbia sends me some kind of scholarship! anything! the loans are the toughest part of the decision to attend Columbia but I've just made up my mind to do it. I know it's the school I want to be at. it's probably not the wisest thing to do but i'm hoping it'll be worth it and the degree will help me secure the job I want.

Financially, i'm kind of screwed. I'm hoping that the loan forgiveness program sticks around. Also, I'm hoping Columbia sends me some kind of scholarship! anything! the loans are the toughest part of the decision to attend Columbia but I've just made up my mind to do it. I know it's the school I want to be at. it's probably not the wisest thing to do but i'm hoping it'll be worth it and the degree will help me secure the job I want.

Is it weird to say I'm proud of you? Good for you! I'm hoping I find the courage to do the same.

does anyone know if a mailman facebook group for the class of 2015 has been started? it would be a cool way to talk with other accepted students who might not be on SDN

I have been searching for a group and haven't found one...if you make it I will join! :)

I applied exactly 1 month ago (2/27) and got a e-mail today (finally). I was accepted. You should hear back very soon! Fingers crossed :)

Long time lurker, first time posting...

I've been away visiting relatives, got back to see a blank email with a PDF attached. I had applied for an mph in epi.

"Congratulations!"

:eek: ?! Accepted into Columbia?? I only applied so my parents wouldn't complain that I didn't even try. Columbia wasn't even a reach for me, it was an impossibility (in my mind). Strange how things work out.

(On another note, my other emails included a rejection from Texas and SUNY Albany. Pfffft.)

Last edited:
I applied exactly 1 month ago (2/27) and got a e-mail today (finally). I was accepted. You should hear back very soon! Fingers crossed :)

I applied in 2012 and only got my letter this week, what gives?

On another note, congrats to you!

I would join! Emory and Yale have these going and it's been super helpful! I'm also considering Hopkins and Columbia which have like zero student communication. In and of itself, off-putting. But at least other applicants could connect.

Long time lurker, first time posting...

I've been away visiting relatives, got back to see a blank email with a PDF attached. I had applied for an mph in epi.

"Congratulations!"

:eek: ?! Accepted into Columbia?? I only applied so my parents wouldn't complain that I didn't even try. Columbia wasn't even a reach for me, it was an impossibility (in my mind). Strange how things work out.

(On another note, my other emails included a rejection from Texas and SUNY Albany. Pfffft.)

haha I got rejected from TX yesterday. Today Columbia sent me a big fat YES. So pumped. Now for the $$$ part..

Found the Facebook group!! Search "Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health Class of 2015" and it should pop up. Not sure it's officially moderated by the school because right now it's pretty small lol....but I went ahead and joined anyways :)

Can anyone tell me about student life? I am looking for a school with community and collaboration among students, and I was wondering whether people make friends in the school/program, etc. or if everyone just tends to do their own thing (i.e. come to class, go home, come to class, go home). I was also wondering whether Mailman students are happy? I am speaking as someone who has been admitted into the 16-month HPM program! Thanks!

did anyone attend the admitted students day on 3/15?? i'm in dire need of some info on what goes on during that day!! there's another one coming up on 4/12 but i'll most likely have to miss it...

Hey guys - I called the fin aid office today about work study/more aid, etc etc

She told me they are out of scholarship money and there is a waiting list. For work study she said they CAN give it out but they prefer to wait until closer to the school year when people know what their schedules will be like, find placements, etc. I probably called a little late to be asking for more aid, but I am still hopeful :D

Hope this can be kind of useful!

any one still waiting for reply from Columbia? ...

any one still waiting for reply from Columbia? ...
I was part of the 2/21 batch and got an admissions decision on Wednesday (in for Popfam/Global Health). Good luck!

I got that email today asking for supplemental info for scholarship consideration and forms to fill out for direct student loans. Date said 3/7 but didn't know about this until today. Be sure to check this out people.

They really need to get their crap together. I was waiting this whole time to make a decision and waited in vain. I haven't received any financial info yet from Columbia, but I decided to accept UCLA's offer today.

UCLA bound :)

Just got an awards letter email from Columbia SPH FinAid. It doesn't even cover tuition. :laugh: :thumbdown:

Just got an awards letter email from Columbia SPH FinAid. It doesn't even cover tuition. :laugh: :thumbdown:

When were you offered an acceptance (what was the lag time)?

Congrats on ucla!! Those are my final two as well. Idk if you went to the ucla admit day, but it was great :)

When were you offered an acceptance (what was the lag time)?

Congrats on ucla!! Those are my final two as well. Idk if you went to the ucla admit day, but it was great :)

Thank you. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to.

I was admitted on March 7. I called on March 25 to see what the holdup was in regards to financial aid. Turns out that their system did not send me an email on March 7 like it was suppose to. I supplied the missing documents the same day and everything uploaded as received on March 26. Loan documents appeared on the student viewer on March 26. I received the award letter via email today (March 29).

Financial Aid Student Budget:

Budget Category Amount

Tuition 33,990
Computer Fee 360
Health Service Fee 1,140
Student Activity Fee 200
Transcript Fee 105
Living Expenses 16,000
Books & Supplies 1,200
Health Insurance Fee 3,467
Personal Expenses 2,369

I was only awarded $33,000 TOTAL :confused:

Hope this helps. What dept are you in for UCLA?

Thank you. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to.

I was admitted on March 7. I called on March 25 to see what the holdup was in regards to financial aid. Turns out that their system did not send me an email on March 7 like it was suppose to. I supplied the missing documents the same day and everything uploaded as received on March 26. Loan documents appeared on the student viewer on March 26. I received the award letter via email today (March 29).

Financial Aid Student Budget:

Budget Category Amount

Tuition 33,990
Computer Fee 360
Health Service Fee 1,140
Student Activity Fee 200
Transcript Fee 105
Living Expenses 16,000
Books & Supplies 1,200
Health Insurance Fee 3,467
Personal Expenses 2,369

I was only awarded $33,000 TOTAL :confused:

Hope this helps. What dept are you in for UCLA?

Hey, thanks for responding. I'd be in HPM at either school. If that's your ucla department (or if not), I can try to answer any questions you might have about the visit day. I was left with a very positive impression of the program overall.

What's up with Columbia's aid packages? Yours seems similar to what others have posted on here. I'm sure mine will be no better. Where do they expect us to come up with the other 50+ thousand dollars? Credit cards? (I'm genuinely asking -- I have NO idea how I would finance a Columbia education)

Hey, thanks for responding. I'd be in HPM at either school. If that's your ucla department (or if not), I can try to answer any questions you might have about the visit day. I was left with a very positive impression of the program overall.

What's up with Columbia's aid packages? Yours seems similar to what others have posted on here. I'm sure mine will be no better. Where do they expect us to come up with the other 50+ thousand dollars? Credit cards? (I'm genuinely asking -- I have NO idea how I would finance a Columbia education)

You don't. It's not worth going 100k+ in debt for an MPH. Nope, nope, nope. You would finance it using savings, a job, tuition reimbursement, or a private loan.

I was awarded a 25k scholarship (renewable for both years) and was offered the 33k in loans. It still technically left a gap. I turned it down and chose a more affordable option. I don't want to be spending well over 1k every month for the next 10 or more years just to loans. Not worth it.

Thanks, but I'm in Epi.

I have no clue. Financially speaking, they're way out of my league.

You don't. It's not worth going 100k+ in debt for an MPH. Nope, nope, nope. You would finance it using savings, a job, tuition reimbursement, or a private loan.

I was awarded a 25k scholarship (renewable for both years) and was offered the 33k in loans. It still technically left a gap. I turned it down and chose a more affordable option. I don't want to be spending well over 1k every month for the next 10 or more years just to loans. Not worth it.

I agree.

...err, anyone having trouble with the deposit form?

I entered my information, clicked the submit payment button, and nothing happened. So I clicked finish, and my deposit form was submitted, but my payment is still not paid. Will that change in a few days?

I sent in all my information for consideration for a scholarship last week, but I haven't heard anything...

If I didn't get the scholarship Columbia is 100% out of the question, BUT if I got the scholarship it is back in the running!

I hope they make decisions and notify soon --- April 15 is quickly approaching! :eek::eek::eek:

Did most people get a merit-based scholarship of some kind?

Also, did anyone receive both a merit-based AND a need-based scholarship?

I'm hoping Columbia throws some more money my way since the husband and I are supposed to be attending school simultaneously!

I was accepted and I didn't get a merit-based scholarship. I also won't be attending. haha

Merit here, no need-based. Will be declining