Columbia Acceptance Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any recently get an acceptance letter from Columbia? If so, was there anything unique about it? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is unique? :confused:

sidenotes from the admissions doctors?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i got a side note from dr. davis and dr. mcmanus. its nice to know they still remember me from two months ago!

JessicaSimpson said:
Why are you asking this?

because they press really hard for you to go there... whats up with that?

Hey, they're just trying to let you know that you made a good impression and they would LOVE to have you there. No need to broadcast this on a website. At least you know they did the same for others so it's not just you. Good luck with choosing and congratulations.

yeah i got the same thing...handwritten notes from dr davis and dr mcmanus. I dont think it was weird at all. I thought it was nice to add a little personal touch to the acceptance letter.

duh? said:
Hey, they're just trying to let you know that you made a good impression and they would LOVE to have you there. No need to broadcast this on a website. At least you know they did the same for others so it's not just you. Good luck with choosing and congratulations.

Yeah, it sounds an awful lot like you are trying to find out if those notes mean you are special. Don't worry, you will always be extra special to yourself! :laugh:

JessicaSimpson said:
Yeah, it sounds an awful lot like you are trying to find out if those notes mean you are special. Don't worry, you will always be extra special to yourself! :laugh:
LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

KAP said:
Did any recently get an acceptance letter from Columbia? If so, was there anything unique about it? Thanks all.

Hey KAP, just wondering, when did you interview at Columbia? I'm still waiting for a letter from them, whether it be good or bad....=\ Thanks

enginerd said:
Hey KAP, just wondering, when did you interview at Columbia? I'm still waiting for a letter from them, whether it be good or bad....=\ Thanks

i interviewed jan 13

I just got my acceptance letter!!!!

Interviewed on Dec 23rd, so was getting a bit worried. And yes I have messages from Dr. McManus and Dr. Davis as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
rajmahal2004 said:

Interviewed on Dec 23rd, so was getting a bit worried. And yes I have messages from Dr. McManus and Dr. Davis as well.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MY GOSH!CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:

rajmahal2004 said:

I love your screen name. My best college buddy is the only other Rajmahal I know. :) See ya in Fall.

Just got my acceptance letter today too! :D

Oh, and I also got sidenotes...adds a very nice touch to the letter. :thumbup:

yay--i got in! now its decision time...

Yes, Columbia always does this. Did it for me last year. They do so, mostly, because Columbia is often not a very friendly place. This gives it somewhat of a small-school feel. A nice touch, but don't get too excited.

Do you guys have until the 14th to reply as well? I was pretty suprised that they only gave less than 2 weeks to decide. (got my letter on the 4th)

Dukie said:
Yes, Columbia always does this. Did it for me last year. They do so, mostly, because Columbia is often not a very friendly place. This gives it somewhat of a small-school feel. A nice touch, but don't get too excited.

Is Columbia not "friendly"? I thought they tried hard to show us that it was very family-oriented.

WonderY said:
Is Columbia not "friendly"? I thought they tried hard to show us that it was very family-oriented.

I'm not knocking Columbia. It's a good school. But, you are lumped in with some very competitive med students. You'll spend a great deal of time in the classroom and not much in the clinic, particularly for the first couple of years. If you are really into academia or the more biomedical side of dentistry, it's a good place to be. Good luck!

rajmahal2004 said:
Do you guys have until the 14th to reply as well? I was pretty suprised that they only gave less than 2 weeks to decide. (got my letter on the 4th)

I'm sure that's because they want to move through the applicants at a quicker pace at this point of the game. I mean, if you really want to go there, you would put down that deposit. Most people wait till the last minute anyway, so it's not like the extra week or two makes a huge difference. Maybe this means that I'll hear from them in 2 weeks?

Dukie said:

People who don't even attend a school really have no say in how it is. How, Dukie, may I ask, that you know that Columbia's "not a very friendly place?" Did your friend's-cousin's-sister's-roommate's-piano teacher's daughter say that she didn't find CU to be a nice place? I've been here for 6 months now and I think it's a pretty normal/friendly place.

I'm sorry if I sound bitchy, but I just don't understand why Columbia gets so much damn flack on this board, especially from people who don't even go there. You can say "oh when I interviewed, the neighborhood was shady" etc, whatever your observations are. But to state them as FACTS--that's BS and I'm calling you out on that. Stop calling my momma fat and ugly, cuz I don't say that about your momma.

And FYI, some of the med students are good friends/hallmates of mine! I resent that you've lumped/stereotyped people into general categories.

And WonderY, it is a very family-oriented environment. It's a small class--75 and under, so you do become a huge community. Three of our classmates have had their first babies in the past semester, and as a class we fundraised some $ to get the parents gift certificates. Some of our teachers even treat us like their kids/grandkids (ask any of the first-years about "pizzamoney" from the anatomy professor).

vandy_yankee said:
People who don't even attend a school really have no say in how it is. How, Dukie, may I ask, that you know that Columbia's "not a very friendly place?" Did your friend's-cousin's-sister's-roommate's-piano teacher's daughter say that she didn't find CU to be a nice place? I've been here for 6 months now and I think it's a pretty normal/friendly place.

I'm sorry if I sound bitchy, but I just don't understand why Columbia gets so much damn flack on this board, especially from people who don't even go there. You can say "oh when I interviewed, the neighborhood was shady" etc, whatever your observations are. But to state them as FACTS--that's BS and I'm calling you out on that. Stop calling my momma fat and ugly, cuz I don't say that about your momma.

And FYI, some of the med students are good friends/hallmates of mine! I resent that you've lumped/stereotyped people into general categories.

And WonderY, it is a very family-oriented environment. It's a small class--75 and under, so you do become a huge community. Three of our classmates have had their first babies in the past semester, and as a class we fundraised some $ to get the parents gift certificates. Some of our teachers even treat us like their kids/grandkids (ask any of the first-years about "pizzamoney" from the anatomy professor).

It's ok vandy_yankee, you don't sound bitchy. I think you just had a rough day at school. I hope you will find your wild spirit very soon and soar in skies.

:laugh:

Thanks for the good information though.

vandy_yankee said:

Actually, my father went to school there and I lived in NY for several years so I know the area quite well. I think Columbia gets knocked so much because you all are so defensive about it. I never claimed anything was "fact" as you call it. I gave my opinion and you can take it our leave it- I couldn't care less.

I had my interview at Columbia. I didn't like it at all. I declined the acceptance of Columbia for NYU. It almost costs the same and people were not as friendly there as NYU either. The school is in Ghetto and I dont understand what is the big deal about the school.

Dukie said:
Actually, my father went to school there and I lived in NY for several years so I know the area quite well.
When did your father attend Columbia Dental? 1 year ago? 3 years ago? Or 30 years ago? A lot can change between 30 years ago and now--it's pass/fail/honors now (takes off some of the edge) and the professors are probably nicer (My own dentist, who went to UPenn, was telling me atrocious stories of how cruel the professors were at Penn many years ago--but you don't see me going into Penn threads saying how mean their teachers are because I assume that things/methods/teaching styles have changed. Plus, I just don't give a damn b/c I'm all peachy and comfy at my own school).

Speaking of change, the area has also changed a LOT--I was talking a a good friend of mine who grew up in Washington Heights, and I commented to her that the area isn't too bad. And she told me that the area you see today is drastically different from the place 10 years ago--it's been gradually cleaning up.

I think Columbia gets knocked so much because you all are so defensive about it. I never claimed anything was "fact" as you call it. I gave my opinion and you can take it our leave it- I couldn't care less.
What came first, the chicken or the egg: did people start trash-talking it or the CU kids got defensive. Sheesh, Dukie, if you saw virtually EVERY, SINGLE thread that's devoted to your school end up with people trashing it, wouldn't you get a little annoyed too? When I first started posting on this forum I was amused by the amount of polarity that CU caused--people either love it or hate it. Now, I'm just getting sick of it--I can see why all the other CU people don't post here anymore. It's the same crap over and over.

vandy_yankee said:
When did your father attend Columbia Dental? 1 year ago? 3 years ago? Or 30 years ago? A lot can change between 30 years ago and now--it's pass/fail/honors now (takes off some of the edge) and the professors are probably nicer (My own dentist, who went to UPenn, was telling me atrocious stories of how cruel the professors were at Penn many years ago--but you don't see me going into Penn threads saying how mean their teachers are because I assume that things/methods/teaching styles have changed. Plus, I just don't give a damn b/c I'm all peachy and comfy at my own school).

Speaking of change, the area has also changed a LOT--I was talking a a good friend of mine who grew up in Washington Heights, and I commented to her that the area isn't too bad. And she told me that the area you see today is drastically different from the place 10 years ago--it's been gradually cleaning up.

What came first, the chicken or the egg: did people start trash-talking it or the CU kids got defensive. Sheesh, Dukie, if you saw virtually EVERY, SINGLE thread that's devoted to your school end up with people trashing it, wouldn't you get a little annoyed too? When I first started posting on this forum I was amused by the amount of polarity that CU caused--people either love it or hate it. Now, I'm just getting sick of it--I can see why all the other CU people don't post here anymore. It's the same crap over and over.

vandy_yankee, reeeeelax! Take it easy.

Did anybody interviewed on Jan 20th hear back from them? I'm starting to get a bit worried since Dr. McManus told us letters were going to be sent out Feb. 3rd...

enginerd said:
Did anybody interviewed on Jan 20th hear back from them? I'm starting to get a bit worried since Dr. McManus told us letters were going to be sent out Feb. 3rd...

Enginerd, I was at the same interview with you. I haven't heard back yet either. Reading other posts, I've noticed that it takes about a month and a half and not two weeks as Dr. McManus stated as a POSSIBLE date of sending out replies

hope this helps...