Columbia Alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everyone! congrats on the interviews! i received one as well but i'm not really sure what to think of it. is this a good sign or is it nothing to get too excited about??? the way i look at it, if he really thought he may accept me, I feel like he would have just done that as opposed to wasting his time meeting with me. therefore, he must not really be sure and needs the interview to help decide. what i don't have a sense of his how many of these "second interviewees" end up with an acceptance? looking at the past threads it seems like most people who posted about these interviews were either accepted on the spot or received phone calls a couple weeks later, but i don't know how many people interview and don't end up ultimately getting accepted one way or another. i figure these people are less likely to post and that's why we don't see many of them. does anyone else have some idea of this/know of people this happens to? with a second interview is it still more likely that you WON'T get in? and i also echo sbbunny's comment that to the ppl who don't have another interview, looking back at past threads, tons of ppl got in without another interview...again making me wonder what the interviews actually mean....

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone! congrats on the interviews! i received one as well but i'm not really sure what to think of it. is this a good sign or is it nothing to get too excited about??? the way i look at it, if he really thought he may accept me, I feel like he would have just done that as opposed to wasting his time meeting with me. therefore, he must not really be sure and needs the interview to help decide. what i don't have a sense of his how many of these "second interviewees" end up with an acceptance? looking at the past threads it seems like most people who posted about these interviews were either accepted on the spot or received phone calls a couple weeks later, but i don't know how many people interview and don't end up ultimately getting accepted one way or another. i figure these people are less likely to post and that's why we don't see many of them. does anyone else have some idea of this/know of people this happens to? with a second interview is it still more likely that you WON'T get in? and i also echo sbbunny's comment that to the ppl who don't have another interview, looking back at past threads, tons of ppl got in without another interview...again making me wonder what the interviews actually mean....

dude, just swing for the fences. unless one of us is an adcom member in disguise, we're all just speculating. do your thing, hope for the best. a second interview is not a sign they're NOT interested in you. GOOD LUCK, don't overthink it.

That being said, feel free not to go . . .

People who are really passionate about getting into Columbia will take him up on the offer, and those who are reluctant to reinterview probably don't want it as bad. Thats fine with me, cause I would really really like to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Finally,

Did he call you to tell you about the 2nd interview or did he send out a letter?

I received a letter for the reinterview.

YAY! Congratulations everyone who just got a second interview and thanks for the well wishes everyone (nice to have you stop in to check on us waitlistees, dienekes88 and LovelyMD- congratulations to you two for already getting into Columbia :))!!!

Finallyjoined: Dean Frantz is taking the time to meet with you. If he thought it'd be a waste of his time or yours, he wouldn't bother. Just like Ooch said- how could that be a bad thing? Relax, go in there and rock the interview, and write a nice thank-you letter afterwards.

Good luck to all of you preparing to meet Dean Frantz and good luck to all of you who still haven't heard anything (don't worry if you don't interview) :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I received a letter for the reinterview.

Just to streamline things, did everyone with a re-interview offer get it through letter? And if so, when was it post-marked/how far do you live from NY? And did you guys all send an update letter / LOI?

:scared: waiting for news from columbia seems to bring out the neurotic side :scared:

Just to streamline things, did everyone with a re-interview offer get it through letter? And if so, when was it post-marked/how far do you live from NY? And did you guys all send an update letter / LOI?

:scared: waiting for news from columbia seems to bring out the neurotic side :scared:

I know exactly how you feel!! :idea: And I can't focus on studying with my last final tomorrow!!! ahhhhh!!!!

SBBunny: You're avatar is adorable!!! :) :luck::luck::luck::luck: to you on your 2nd interview!!

Hey Adiel,
Mine was postmarked 4/2 and I reinterviewed on 4/11.

Good luck everyone.

Mine was postmarked (and dated) April 29th. I'm in Manhattan. Something to keep in mind: I didn't interview with Dean Frantz the first time around (I think that he generally doesn't do second interviews for people that he's already met). Just keep sending Columbia interest letters and hope for the best :luck::luck::luck:

I received a phone call after sending in a very strong LOI. No letter.

Mine was postmarked (and dated) April 29th. I'm in Manhattan. Something to keep in mind: I didn't interview with Dean Frantz the first time around (I think that he generally doesn't do second interviews for people that he's already met). Just keep sending Columbia interest letters and hope for the best :luck::luck::luck:

that's true: he doesn't give second interviews to people he's already met. however, that doesn't mean that if you interviewed with him the first time that he has already passed eternal judgment on you. i interviewed with dean frantz the first time around and was waitlisted, so he turned down my request for a second interview in april and said it "wasn't necessary." i ended up getting in off the waitlist through letters and persistence, so you can get in no matter what. he just wants to have met all of the serious waitlist applicants at least once. that being said, if he offers you a second interview then you're definitely in the running - someone he's seriously considering. take it as a good sign, but with no guarantees.

also, if dean frantz ever tells you that the alternate list has "unusually very little movement this year", then that's his way of letting you down easy. he pretty much says that every year to certain students whom he is unlikely to accept.

first of all let me clarify because i think my msg came off the wrong way...i'm SUPER excited to even have an opportunity to meet with dean frantz. columbia is my absolute first choice and i'll do anything to get in. i know it is a good sign to meet with him and he wouldn't bother if he wasn't interested. i have just been trying not to get my hopes up too much because i've been disappointed a lot through this process...that's why i was curious if people had an idea of how many people still don't get in after a second interview. of course i know no one actually has any idea how these things work and we are all just speculating.

also to clarify - i don't think that it is wasting anyone's time when he is interviewing them. i just meant that it must mean he hasn't decided either way because if he already decided your fate, i figure that would be when an interview isn't necessary. ALTHOUGH he may just really like meeting the applicants and talking to future students. I actually think that's probably more the case because he doesn't need to meet anyone from the waitlist but does choose to.

to those who asked how i found out, he called me to schedule it - i didn't receive a letter. he said he was calling in response to my LOI and would like to meet me. oh, and i did not interview with him the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know it is a good sign to meet with him and he wouldn't bother if he wasn't interested. i have just been trying not to get my hopes up too much because i've been disappointed a lot through this process...that's why i was curious if people had an idea of how many people still don't get in after a second interview. of course i know no one actually has any idea how these things work and we are all just speculating.

I hear you. It's been a grueling and sad process for all of us. Nobody really has any idea of what the chances of acceptance are post-reinterview. Good luck, finallyjoined :luck::luck::luck:

Can anybody comment on what the second interviews are like? It's been months since I interviewed anywhere and I'm really, really rusty on my interviewing skills... OH NO I need to buy new interview shoes (my old ones had a huge hole in the bottom). Maybe Dean Frantz will be okay with a jacket + skirt combo with sassy black boots?

Good luck to all the second interviewees. God willing financial aid works out, I'm planning to head to P&S in the fall and I hope to see you guys there. I know from the people I met at second look that some are definitely withdrawing, if they have not already done so. My philosophy in all of this, which didn't work everywhere, but did work at P&S, was to "go balls out" and you can quote me on that. I never actually met Dean Frantz, so I can't speak for his preferences, but my sense of Columbia was that they cared about students with actual passion. For me, that was passion about my sport, my lifestyle, and my career goals.

I guess my advice, at this late and demoralized state of the game, would be to remind yourself of whatever it is that infuses you with confidence. You're a bright shining star (not an arrogant star) bursting with potential, drawing from diverse experiences and can bring something truly unique to the school! Just wrap it up tight, wear something that makes you feel like a million bucks, and go get em Tiger!

long-time sdn user---cruising this thread for my friend. she actually called dean frantz and told him she was going to be in the area (she doesnt live close to columbia) to see if she could schedule an interview and he gave a her a date for next week...i think she had heard about this 'second intvw' process from friends who are already at columbia...so maybe you can ask for one if dean frantz doesn't automatically give you one?? anyways good luck guys =) i myself am on a few waitlists at other schools so i know how it feels :luck::luck:

also, if dean frantz ever tells you that the alternate list has "unusually very little movement this year", then that's his way of letting you down easy. he pretty much says that every year to certain students whom he is unlikely to accept.

how do you know this?? those words sound a little familiar from my friend :confused:

you don't have to meet him...you can just call him and speak with him also...I got in around this time 3 years ago

long-time sdn user---cruising this thread for my friend. she actually called dean frantz and told him she was going to be in the area (she doesnt live close to columbia) to see if she could schedule an interview and he gave a her a date for next week...i think she had heard about this 'second intvw' process from friends who are already at columbia...so maybe you can ask for one if dean frantz doesn't automatically give you one?? anyways good luck guys =) i myself am on a few waitlists at other schools so i know how it feels :luck::luck:

Good call. However, I wouldn't use the term "second interview." I got the feeling from a past Columbia Waitlist thread that Dean Frantz wasn't too pleased with people asking for second interviews explicitly.

Maybe you could phrase it like this:

You: "Hello, Dean Frantz, I was just calling to follow up on the letter that I sent you a couple weeks ago..."

Dean Frantz: *insert something realistic here*

- Maybe 5 minutes later -
During this time talk about the reasons you think Columbia is the right place for you. For me it was the diversity of the community, the receptiveness of the faculty to student input, and the P&S club.

You: "Well, I'm glad that you seem to think that I'd be a match for the P&S community! I'll be in NYC (or NJ/CT) in a couple weeks... I wonder if it might be possible to talk more about this in person? I really believe that P&S is the ideal school for me to develop as a physician, and I feel that I can contribute to the diversity for which P&S is known. I'd love to convey these sentiments to you face-to-face."

Dean Frantz: *insert something realistic about a second interview*

...or something along those lines.

I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to schedule my interview with Dean Frantz yet (he invited me! I have a letter!). I tried calling, but the office said he wasn't in until Monday... Oh well. Maybe I'll get a date really close to May 15th and he'll admit me on the spot! Yeah, and maybe he'll have a Shetland Pony waiting for me in the admissions office with my acceptance packet strapped to its saddle.

I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to schedule my interview with Dean Frantz yet (he invited me! I have a letter!). I tried calling, but the office said he wasn't in until Monday... Oh well. Maybe I'll get a date really close to May 15th and he'll admit me on the spot! Yeah, and maybe he'll have a Shetland Pony waiting for me in the admissions office with my acceptance packet strapped to its saddle.

Make sure to schedule it soon!

Shetland pony? Hmmm... it'll be interesting trying to fit one of those in Bard. I bet the smell would be awful... :D

Make sure to schedule it soon!

Shetland pony? Hmmm... it'll be interesting trying to fit one of those in Bard. I bet the smell would be awful... :D

Still no luck getting in touch with Dr. Frantz (not for lack of trying on my part... the admissions staff must really hate me by now...).

My pony could go in the temperature-controlled stable on the roof of Bard. You know, the small (but nice) structure right next to the hot tub ;)

Still no luck getting in touch with Dr. Frantz (not for lack of trying on my part... the admissions staff must really hate me by now...).

My pony could go in the temperature-controlled stable on the roof of Bard. You know, the small (but nice) structure right next to the hot tub ;)

Is he not in his office? What is the receptionist saying? I was thinking about calling, but you mentioned earlier that he was out last week and would be back on Monday.

Is he not in his office? What is the receptionist saying? I was thinking about calling, but you mentioned earlier that he was out last week and would be back on Monday.

I FINALLY SCHEDULED MY INTERVIEW :hardy::hardy::hardy: (it took a mere three business days and seven phone calls after I'd received my letter).

My recommendation is that you only call if you received a reinterview invite letter and need to schedule an interview. If you want to get in touch for any other reason, SNAIL MAIL is by far the best option. Dean Frantz is really, really, reaaally busy (as you'd expect), so it's very hard to find a time when you can talk with him in person. The only reason that I got through was because one of the admissions staff members took pity on me.

I wish you all the best of luck! I'm excited in a way I never knew was possible to be going to P&S--I still think I'm dreaming...Columbia is truly incredible. I hope I get to be there with you guys :)!

I re-interviewed with Frantz today . . . and was accepted! Funny guy, at the end of the interview he said "We are still over-enrolled, and don't expect many withdrawals until after May 15 but . . . let's just make things simple and say you're accepted." He also mentioned there have been very few waitlist acceptances so far, but also that very few people have sent in withdrawals, so keep up the hope!

you got accepted b/c of your orchestra involvement. Frantz apparently likes people with musical interests.....I am totally kidding by the way....Congrats, thats incredible!

I re-interviewed with Frantz today . . . and was accepted! Funny guy, at the end of the interview he said "We are still over-enrolled, and don't expect many withdrawals until after May 15 but . . . let's just make things simple and say you're accepted." He also mentioned there have been very few waitlist acceptances so far, but also that very few people have sent in withdrawals, so keep up the hope!

Congrats! I'm not surprised there haven't been many withdrawals. We don't have financial aid packages yet, so there's not a compelling reason for someone with a tough decision to make to pull the trigger before May 15.

congratulations, timcheng00!!!!!!!!! Awesome-sauce!!!!

Now I'm really, REALLY nervous about my impending interview :scared:. Is Dean Frantz going to interrogate me about the letters that I've been sending to other schools? What if I'm not enthusiastic ENOUGH about Columbia for him to take me seriously? Man, I don't even have my good luck charm (not that it helped with my other interviews...).

I really hope that you get in to Columbia. Rochester for 4 years would suck.

congratulations, timcheng00!!!!!!!!! Awesome-sauce!!!!

Now I'm really, REALLY nervous about my impending interview :scared:. Is Dean Frantz going to interrogate me about the letters that I've been sending to other schools? What if I'm not enthusiastic ENOUGH about Columbia for him to take me seriously? Man, I don't even have my good luck charm (not that it helped with my other interviews...).

Does anyone know if Dean Frantz asks people for a 2nd interview that aren't on the East Coast? i.e. would he invite people currently in California?
Thanks

no ... he told me in march that he wouldnt ask someone to come from cali ... he said phone interview would suffice from all west coast people

I really hope that you get in to Columbia. Rochester for 4 years would suck.

I'm rooting for her at Columbia too (and the other waitlists), but I thought Rochester was pretty sweet actually. The city is no Manhattan but the students seemed wicked happy.

I'm rooting for her at Columbia too (and the other waitlists), but I thought Rochester was pretty sweet actually. The city is no Manhattan but the students seemed wicked happy.

Aw, thanks for rooting for me, guys! I wish you all the best too :luck::luck::luck:

I echo Ooch's sentiments- Rochester is a quiet town filled with very friendly and happy medical students. I'm not afraid of the cold- NYC gets pretty darn chilly too.

aaaand bump. I'm still waiting.

hey sbbunny ... whens ur interview??? ...

anyone call recently???

hey sbbunny ... whens ur interview??? ...

anyone call recently???

I met with Dean Frantz today. He said that he thought that my chances of being admitted were quite good, but that he couldn't make any promises. The conversation was very relaxed and Dr. Frantz was really, really nice (seriously- I had a great time talking to him).

hey did he say that there wasnt a lot of wl movement or did he say it was good???

hey did he say that there wasnt a lot of wl movement or did he say it was good???

He's expecting a lot of waitlist movement and said that he'd only accepted a few people off the waitlist recently (so, my understanding is that the bulk of the waitlist movement is yet to come). Of course, he has to wait until accepted people withdraw to send more waitlist acceptances- it's hard to predict exactly how much waitlist movement will happen until more people withdraw.

I just called and spoke with Dr. Frantz today and got the line that the alternate list has "unusually very little movement this year," so I'm guessing my prospects look bleak compared to some of you others including SBBunny. Oh well, I'm just hoping one of my other WL will turn into an acceptance so I don't have to reapply. Good luck to everyone else.

Just to clarify I reinterviewed with Dr. Frantz early last month.

I just called and spoke with Dr. Frantz today and got the line that the alternate list has "unusually very little movement this year," so I'm guessing my prospects look bleak compared to some of you others including SBBunny. Oh well, I'm just hoping one of my other WL will turn into an acceptance so I don't have to reapply. Good luck to everyone else.

You don't have to give up on Columbia yet, NuRhoPsi! I was also told that the class was overaccepted and that only a few people had already gotten off the waitlist. Dean Frantz didn't tell me that he knew that there would be a lot of waitlist movement this year. He said that Columbia has had a lot of waitlist movement in past years and that, although there hasn't been much action yet, he thinks that there's going to be a good deal more waitlist acceptances later this year. Keep writing letters, NuRhoPsi! Oh, and good luck on your other waitlists :luck::luck::luck:. I really hope that you get an acceptance soon!

Just to clarify I reinterviewed with Dr. Frantz early last month.

got the same message in response to a letter i sent him the other week. s im pretty sure it isnt happening. but i just got back form vacation in cancun, SO I DONT CARE:D. (thats like the first time those words have ever left my mouth)

got the same message in response to a letter i sent him the other week. s im pretty sure it isnt happening. but i just got back form vacation in cancun, SO I DONT CARE:D. (thats like the first time those words have ever left my mouth)

:clap:

YAY CGBG! Don't let waitlists own your life! I'm going to go to Mexico in July (I'm hoping to make reservations soon)! I hope that you get off of some of those waitlists very, very soon :luck::luck:

SB --

I was in the receptionists office waiting for my interview when you called! Atleast your time stamps would have made sense... that "conference call" the office said he on was really him interviewing me!

Is there a high number of people on sdn who got 2nd interviews? Or did he just interview a lot of people twice?

There has to be about 6 people on here who got 2nd interviews... that seems like a lot.

Is there a high number of people on sdn who got 2nd interviews? Or did he just interview a lot of people twice?

There has to be about 6 people on here who got 2nd interviews... that seems like a lot.

Yeah goodness, it sounds like he's doing interviews every day or something!

SB --

I was in the receptionists office waiting for my interview when you called! Atleast your time stamps would have made sense... that "conference call" the office said he on was really him interviewing me!

Heh, wow! I hope that my excessive calling didn't interfere with your interview :oops:. Dr. Frantz is such a kind interviewer, though, so I bet that you had no trouble getting your interview mojo going! Good luck waiting to hear back :luck:

so guys .... any news??? this thread has gotten quiet ... hopefully that means they're about to accept a lot of us ........

heh, yeah... I hope so, kuhlguy!