Columbia Alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i cant take the silence ...

Members don't see this ad.

Still Nothing??? I sent a second letter to dean frantz like 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Which could be good or bad... maybe he's waiting for some withdrawals today to accept me, maybe he knows I'm not getting in and has more important things to worry about... maybe he hasn't even read the letter because he's so busy...maybe Columbia is driving me crazy+pissed+

Well, disregard that first post... Just got a call from my house, that a letter came, and it was essentially the generic:

Thank you for your letter, we have unusually late withdrawals/very little alternate list activity, and we are keeping you under very active consideration. :thumbdown:

I guess it's time to get after the admissions office at Penn

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bad feeling about this. It seems like the general consensus is that there has been very few withdrawls.

fingers crossed.

I just sent an email to the admissions office today (talk about timing right??). You think email vs. letter makes a difference?

*BUMP* How's it going? I'm still waiting for a reply to my thank you card from my 2nd interview. I work at Columbia, so I'm here every day :(. Painful.

GOOD LUCK :luck:. Don't worry too much about the letters sounding pessimistic. Plenty of people are accepted after multiple unpromising replies to their letters.

hey! haha still waiting here too! havent gotten a letter back from my last letter i sent in ....

arg ... we're meant to suffer i think ... haha ... all this duke movement got me wondering if we're going to get in off any waitlist ... haha o well gotta think positive

good luck!! o yea ... dr frantz was out of the office today so none went out today .... heres hoping for monday !

I AM GOING TO COLUMBIA :eek:

phone call around 5pm on Sunday May 18th, 2008.

SBBunny, are you serious??! CONGRATS.

Dean Frantz called you just now??

SBBunny, are you serious??! CONGRATS.

Dean Frantz called you just now??

Yep. He left a voice message at 5pm. I called him back around 5:45.

What did he say? Did he mention the strange time (calling on a Sunday)? Had you sent any letters recently to him? Oh man... this must be so exciting

What did he say? Did he mention the strange time (calling on a Sunday)? Had you sent any letters recently to him? Oh man... this must be so exciting

I sent a thank you card a little over a week ago. I have NO idea why he accepted me in the early evening on a Sunday, but he did. I hope you all get good news soon :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a thank you card a little over a week ago. I have NO idea why he accepted me in the early evening on a Sunday, but he did. I hope you all get good news soon :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Congrats SBBunny!!!!

SBBunny ftw.

Congratulations!

Any news recently? I'm losing hope...

thanks for the congrats, all!

Don't give up!!!! There's gotta be room soon! May 15th was less than a week ago. It surely takes a lot of time to process those withdrawals and move towards the waitlist. There were several waitlist acceptances around this time last year: 5/19 (phone call on a Saturday), 5/25 (in person at reinterview), 5/30 (phone call). So, I'm sure that there's still waitlist movement to come.

Just keep sending letters (seriously, I sent stuff every two weeks) and keep hoping :luck::luck::luck:

i suggest calling and asking to speak to dr. frantz. he gave me an honest assessment of my chances.

thanks for the congrats, all!

Don't give up!!!! There's gotta be room soon! May 15th was less than a week ago. It surely takes a lot of time to process those withdrawals and move towards the waitlist. There were several waitlist acceptances around this time last year: 5/19 (phone call on a Saturday), 5/25 (in person at reinterview), 5/30 (phone call). So, I'm sure that there's still waitlist movement to come.

Just keep sending letters (seriously, I sent stuff every two weeks) and keep hoping :luck::luck::luck:

SB, did you snail mail all your letters? Or did you start emailing too? Thanks! and Congrats!

SB, did you snail mail all your letters? Or did you start emailing too? Thanks! and Congrats!

All snail mail (I did reinterview with him). I've heard that he prefers snail mail and, since all his replies came by snail mail, I figured that my letters should also be in print.

Good luck to you all :luck:! It's not over yet!

Congrats Bunny!! :) I'm withdrawing my WL spot from Columbia. :luck: to rest of WL applicants, I have my fingers crossed for you!!

watd he tell u???

he told me that my chances were "not good". obviously not what i wanted to hear but i prefer the closure to the speculation-filled wait.

if you call and don't hear something similar, i would say to consider yourself still in the running.

thanks ess for letting us know.

is there any news from thread lurkers?? :p

Memorial Day weekend is over, so I hope you'll be hearing something soon!!!

:luck::luck::luck:

yea hopefully after the long weekend dr. frantzs ready to make some movement!!!

has anyone called and talked to dr. frantz recently??

I called Dr. Frantz today, and he said that the waitlist has been moving slowly this year compared to past years, and that he probably wouldn't be able to give me a definitive answer until next week / after 10 days. Sigh... Columbia is by far my top choice, and has been throughout this cycle, so this kind of limbo is sooo hard to take. Here's to hoping that things will work out for all of us, though :)

oh boy this is not looking good...this thread has been so quiet compared to previous years. honestly, my hope is sinking :(

I heard from a friend that someone who works in his lab two floors above mine got in off the waitlist yesterday, so movement hasn't grinded to a half quite yet. I wouldn't be surprised though if every year it kept getting drawn out later and later into the summer as (in general) applying keeps getting more competitive every year.

sigh... I kinda wish Columbia had been stingier with the financial aid this year in order to turn off more accepted people. It seems like at least some of the packages were OK enough to convince the lucky ones to turn down other elite schools and go to P&S.

I’m still in shock! I’m ecstatic to say that I was pulled off the P&S waitlist this past week. P&S has always been my first choice. :love:

Here are some details:
*After being waitlisted in March, I wrote two heartfelt letters of intent.
*Dean Frantz invited me for a second interview in April. (My first interview was not with Dean Frantz.)
*I wrote two more letters after my second interview and called a couple of times.

It’s been a long year for all of us. I’m certainly humbled by this acceptance and hopeful for those of you still waiting.

I’m still in shock! I’m ecstatic to say that I was pulled off the P&S waitlist this past week. P&S has always been my first choice. :love:

Here are some details:
*Dean Frantz invited me for a second interview in April. (My first interview was not with Dean Frantz.)
*I wrote two more letters after my second interview and called a couple of times.

It’s been a long year for all of us. I’m certainly humbled by this acceptance and hopeful for those of you still waiting.

ahh!! congratulations! :hardy:

thanks also for all the details :)

hey congrats!!

just wondering what day u were accepted and also ... what did dr. frantz tell u when you called him before u were accepted

Here are some details:

WOOH!!! CONGRATULATIONS, FUTURE CLASSMATE :hardy::hardy::hardy:

(good luck to those of you who are still waiting)

Thanks everyone!

Kuhlguy: Dean Frantz always told me that my chances were good, in my second interview and on the phone, though he also cautioned me against being too optimistic.

I'm going to Columbia! I got the call on Friday, but the power has been out since then (tornado hit in Indianapolis). Anyway, here's what I did:

>Sent an application update letter in late March
>Sent a letter of interest/updates in April
>Emailed the admissions office to confirm previous letters had been recieved, but never got a reply.
>Called to confirm previous letters had been recieved, but didn't talk to dean Frantz.
>Sent another letter of interest in May.
>Emailed dean Frantz to confirm my May letter had been recieved. He called the next day to give me the good news.

When he called, he said that the class was still overenrolled, but that he was confident some people would be withdrawing soon and that he could offer me a place if Columbia was my top choice.

My only advice is to poeple on the waitlist is to keep snail mailing letters of interest (I didn't have any luck with emailing). Dean Frantz seems interested in admitting people that REALLY WANT columbia and whatever interest you can show will probably go a long way in improving your chances of getting accepted.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

did you interview with dr. frantz?

Nope. But I was applying from Southern California, so maybe he thought it was too much to ask for me to fly all the way to NYC again. The only time I ever talked to him was when he called to offer me a place in the class.

I'm going to Columbia! I got the call on Friday, but the power has been out since then (tornado hit in Indianapolis).

CONGRATULATIONS RocAd!!! YAY!!!!!

Here are some details:

What do you say in follow up letters? I wrote an update letter after my interview. Then I wrote a letter of intent about a month letter. I feel like if I write another letter, I would be rehashing a lot of the same reasons on why I want to go and why I think I would make a good fit. What kind of things do you say when you write multiple letters expressing your interest? I was worried doing something like this would turn off the school.

From past threads, I've read that some follow up letters were just restatements of interest, i.e. nothing new. While other schools might find this to be a nuisance, it seems that Dean Frantz appreciates snail-mail letters. He is actively seeking out individuals who are a "good fit" for the school, and I think one of the criteria he uses is a genuine desire to attend.

What'd you write in your earlier letters?

What do you say in follow up letters? I wrote an update letter after my interview. Then I wrote a letter of intent about a month letter. I feel like if I write another letter, I would be rehashing a lot of the same reasons on why I want to go and why I think I would make a good fit. What kind of things do you say when you write multiple letters expressing your interest? I was worried doing something like this would turn off the school.

Even in my LOIs I tried to include some kind of application update. It helped that I just graduated and got a couple of awards, but I also wrote just to say that I had sent my final transcript. What are your plans for this summer? In one of my letters I mentioned a summer service project I'm doing.