Program-Specific Info / Q's Columbia and NYU 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is what I am thinking it must be! The wording just confused me a little bit.

Hopefully, that means we hear some good news soon!
I hope so! I’m nervous for both NYU and Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into Columbia and will most likely be attending! I’d love to meet some people going if there’s a Facebook group or anything let me know:)

I was accepted into Columbia and will most likely be attending! I’d love to meet some people going if there’s a Facebook group or anything let me know:)
Congrats on your acceptance! Still anxiously waiting. When did you hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to NYU last week but declined it! I will be attending Downstate! I haven't heard back from Colombia yet.

Hi! I was accepted too! I don't know if there is a Facebook group but if you find out please let me know! :)

I was just accepted to NYU!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Into the entry level MS or the post-professional OTD?

Congrats!! For the masters program? Did they let you know via email?

thank you!! Yes, for the masters program. They emailed me Monday night saying that my application decision was posted!

For everyone accepted to NYU so far, is there a facebook page yet?

Has anyone not been accepted into NYU yet? Mine still says awaiting decision

Members don't see this ad :)
My application says decided but I did not receive any updates. Does this mean I was NOT accepted?

My application says decided but I did not receive any updates. Does this mean I was NOT accepted?

For NYU? I got an update message in my email and when I went to the portal I could click a link to see the decision. Maybe check for that? If not IDK maybe they’ve decided but haven’t sent out the update wave?

For NYU? I got an update message in my email and when I went to the portal I could click a link to see the decision. Maybe check for that? If not IDK maybe they’ve decided but haven’t sent out the update wave?
Yes for NYU. What does it say on your application status on the Portal? Sorry for all the questions!

Reactions: 1 user
My NYU portal still says "awaiting decision", but I haven't received any email yet.

Yes for NYU. What does it say on your application status on the Portal? Sorry for all the questions!

This is what mine looked like/looks like

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-11 Applicant Status Portal.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-11 Applicant Status Portal.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 101
Hey guys! I got waitlisted at NYU, good luck to everyone!

That's great! How did you find out? I am hoping that there are still other acceptances coming out
I got an email to check the status on my portal! And i'm not sure, but on their website, it says decisions are usually released around March, so they might have more waves going into the next month!

I got an email to check the status on my portal! And i'm not sure, but on their website, it says decisions are usually released around March, so they might have more waves going into the next month!
Oh okay thanks! It just says my application is "complete" on the portal. So I guess that will change once their is a decision? Such an annoying waiting game!

Oh okay thanks! It just says my application is "complete" on the portal. So I guess that will change once their is a decision? Such an annoying waiting game!
Yeah they should send an email once it's updated! I got waitlisted at NYU, but didn't get an email to check my portal. I just happened to check it right after Columbia lol

Got an email I got waitlisted at Columbia, congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Make sure to check your portal! I didn’t get an email but randomly checked my portal and I was waitlisted this morning.

Just checked and it still says Awaiting Decision!

I'm really in shock right now. I also got into VCU and didn't really expect to get other offers... and I have an interview at BU next week! No idea what to do.

Does anyone have any input on NYU vs. Downstate? I’m struggling to decide between the two.

Does anyone know the total cost of attendance for NYU (tuition only) for the MS vs the MS/OTD? Is the price worth it?

Does anyone know the total cost of attendance for NYU (tuition only) for the MS vs the MS/OTD? Is the price worth it?
For MS it's about $135,000. MS/OTD I don't know. Columbia is about $108,000 and SUNY Downstate it about $35,000 for anyone wondering. I'm struggling to decide between NYU and Downstate, thinking about declining Columbia. IDEK

For MS it's about $135,000. MS/OTD I don't know. Columbia is about $108,000 and SUNY Downstate it about $35,000 for anyone wondering. I'm struggling to decide between NYU and Downstate, thinking about declining Columbia. IDEK

This is tuition only. I didn't include books, housing, transportation, etc.

Are you planning to get any loans or scholarships? If so, do you know any good resources?

I’m debating between a public OTD program in Texas and Columbia’s MS program that would be about three times the cost. Is anyone else that’s not from New York deciding if the loans are worth it or not?

Personally a big factor for me picking NYU is that they still have a cadaver lab.

Is there anything else in particular about NYU that you think makes it stand out? Because Downstate also has a Cadaver lab I believe.

Just checked and it still says Awaiting Decision!

I'm really in shock right now. I also got into VCU and didn't really expect to get other offers... and I have an interview at BU next week! No idea what to do.
Come join us at Columbia! :)

For anyone going to Columbia there is a Facebook page called Columbia University MSOT ‘22 !

Glen gillen is great. But schools very expensive. AMA in my PM box for advice from a new yorker who was a CUMC graduate.

Is there anything else in particular about NYU that you think makes it stand out? Because Downstate also has a Cadaver lab I believe.

I believe SUNY Downstate does have a cadaver lab but that the medical students cut while we look, essentially. May be wrong, but I believe I read this somewhere.

In terms of whether loans are worth it, I believe they aren't. A lot of people keep saying that it doesn't matter where you got the degree from for OT. I am ready to go to Downstate and pay for it while working part-time. I'll be broke all the time but I don't want to take out loans. I know people who are still paying back loans in their thirties so they tell me, it's not really worth it. Yet, if I get scholarships for NYU (hoping, yet doubtful), why not take it if it's maybe $10,000-20,000 more, but it probably will be more like $50,000+ more. In that case, I probably won't go. But I want to...so heartbreaking.

Keep in mind Columbia is cheaper than NYU if you are debating between the two. What I am confused about is that some say Columbia is very "mental health" focused and you can see it in the curriculum. Others say NYU is either broad or also mental health focused. I want peds, but want to learn more about neuro-rehab, so I'm trying to figure out how NYU is with peds but I can't find students to ask. Downstate's curriculum is very similar to NYU, just that lab is given at a different time.

I wish we would hear from financial aid before having to submit the deposit next week...

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind Columbia is cheaper than NYU if you are debating between the two. What I am confused about is that some say Columbia is very "mental health" focused and you can see it in the curriculum. Others say NYU is either broad or also mental health focused. I want peds, but want to learn more about neuro-rehab, so I'm trying to figure out how NYU is with peds but I can't find students to ask. Downstate's curriculum is very similar to NYU, just that lab is given at a different time.

if you want neuro rehab you want dawn nilsen and glen Gilen. they prepared me awesome for my neurological rehab career.