**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PegaNinguem said:
Anyone have the cliffnotes for Catch a Spirit and Let it Fall?

In all seriousness, I called in and they said we could read House of God instead.

Cliffsnotes for dental school would be awesome :laugh: The books is actually pretty good and I hate reading.

Members don't see this ad.

bite^me said:
Cliffsnotes for dental school would be awesome :laugh: The books is actually pretty good and I hate reading.

I was placed on the housing application waitlist, so wondering first of all the chances of getting off the waitlist, second of all if and when I should arrive at NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering, did we receive any mailings from Columbia in the past 2 weeks? I'll be away from home until 7/26 so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

INFNITE said:
just wondering, did we receive any mailings from Columbia in the past 2 weeks? I'll be away from home until 7/26 so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Got two things in the mail a little over a week ago. First one was about orientation. You need to send them $120 for orientation and list your preferences between a Mets game, Wicked, or Phantom of the Opera that will take place on the 24th of August. Check in is on August 21st between 9am and 3pm in Bard. There was also an overview of orientation events -- you can check it out at the site the 2009 class set up for us - www.cusdos2009.com/2010. Ill PM you the userID and password (dont want a bunch of predents on the forum invading the site and asking all of us about our stats, i already get enough of those...) Secondly, we need to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman before school starts. I know, homework? in the summer? lame....

How important is the White Coat ceremony? Are most of you inviting friends and relatives?

Welcome to columbia everyone. I'm currently a third year and I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys have about the school.

freedyx3 said:
Welcome to columbia everyone. I'm currently a third year and I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys have about the school.

Now that you're mostly finished with the didactics, which year was more difficult? 1st or 2nd?

BallDontLie said:
Now that you're mostly finished with the didactics, which year was more difficult? 1st or 2nd?

Hi Mr. Ball,

Yeah for me def 2nd year. It takes more endurance since you have exams almost every week. SO basically every weekend you're studying for some kind of exam since you have so many classes. Its a challange trying to keep up with your biomedical classes while at the same time finishing all your dental projects. But it's good cause in the end you'll be ahead of the game when it comes to boards.

BallDontLie said:
Got two things in the mail a little over a week ago. First one was about orientation. You need to send them $120 for orientation and list your preferences between a Mets game, Wicked, or Phantom of the Opera that will take place on the 24th of August. Check in is on August 21st between 9am and 3pm in Bard. There was also an overview of orientation events -- you can check it out at the site the 2009 class set up for us - www.cusdos2009.com/2010. Ill PM you the userID and password (dont want a bunch of predents on the forum invading the site and asking all of us about our stats, i already get enough of those...) Secondly, we need to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman before school starts. I know, homework? in the summer? lame....

thanks for the info. is there a due date for mailing back the $120 and the preference for orientation event?
by the way, I hope you're kidding about the reading list...come on...who the hell reads pointless literature for friggin dental school

Apparently we do.

Man, d-day is approaching. So nervous. Anyone else an old person returning to school? Being an old fart has its advantages. For one I'm not too freaked out about spending $250,000 on a profession because dentistry is to office cubicle job as wealthy heir is to sewage tunnel repairman.

INFNITE said:
thanks for the info. is there a due date for mailing back the $120 and the preference for orientation event?
by the way, I hope you're kidding about the reading list...come on...who the hell reads pointless literature for friggin dental school

Hey All,

Congrats on choosing Columbia! This fall I have a room available in Tower I (which if you ask, is the best location) all the way up on the 29th floor (good view!). I think rent is like 690. Anyway, it is a "joint and several" contract, which means we get to choose our roommates. so, I wanted to try to get another dental student, maybe from the 2010 class to move in rather than just someone random cause I waited until the last minute :rolleyes: . If anyone is interested, email me and we can talk more. crf2106 is my uni.

also, use the orientation website!! There is a message system on that website as well so we can answer any questions that you might have about starting school.

Good Luck!

Craig

INFNITE said:

I think the due date was on the sheet we had to mail in, so I dont really remember. But for some reason, August 1st sounds familiar....not sure though

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm actually wondering if anybody is still looking for housing? Unforunately I am... but I actually found something that seems pretty nice. The apartment is on 171 Street and Amsterdam Ave. (across from the police precinct). The apartment has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large living room, eat in kitchen, marble countertop, beautiful maple cabinets, air conditioning, brand new appliances, bamboo wooden floor and private storage space outside the apartment. The problem is I need a roommate or else the rent would be too expensive for just one person. He told me the rent would be around $1500/month for the entire place, which really isn't that bad and is comparable to on-campus rooms. The reason the rent is so low is because he prefers to rent it out to students, especially from Columbia. The manager is a Columbia Univ. alumni, btw, and I guess he just wants to help out the Columbia community in a way. The manager claims the apartment to be "a beautiful, completely renovated apartment in a nice and safe neighborhood." I was just wondering if anybody is interested in sharing this apartment.

Note: does anybody know if there are any advantages of on-campus housing when compared to off-campus housing?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the manager said the price is negotiable as long as he rents out the apartment to Columbia students.

Hello,

I'm applying to Columbia for fall 2007. I've been out of school for over a year, so getting an LOR from a science professor is difficult. Did any of you NOT have an LOR from a science professor?

Thanks!

enginerd said:
Hey guys, I'm actually wondering if anybody is still looking for housing? Unforunately I am... but I actually found something that seems pretty nice. The apartment is on 171 Street and Amsterdam Ave. (across from the police precinct). The apartment has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large living room, eat in kitchen, marble countertop, beautiful maple cabinets, air conditioning, brand new appliances, bamboo wooden floor and private storage space outside the apartment. The problem is I need a roommate or else the rent would be too expensive for just one person. He told me the rent would be around $1500/month for the entire place, which really isn't that bad and is comparable to on-campus rooms. The reason the rent is so low is because he prefers to rent it out to students, especially from Columbia. The manager is a Columbia Univ. alumni, btw, and I guess he just wants to help out the Columbia community in a way. The manager claims the apartment to be "a beautiful, completely renovated apartment." I was just wondering if anybody is interested in sharing this apartment.

Note: does anybody know if there are any advantages of on-campus housing when compared to off-campus housing?

Are you looking for a female or male roomie? Have you seen the place?

Does anyone know what # they are up to on the waitlist? I'm still on the waitlist as well but am not in the position to call.

My housing situation isn't settled yet either, mostly because I'm still hoping that they'll give me on campus housing... and therefore have not been actively looking for an apartment.

hey i know this might be a stupid/belated question but did everyone turn in their student health forms? being the procrastinator, im not going to get around to it until the 1st day of orientation bc i'll be heading off on a 10 day trip.. :scared:

raZ10 said:
hey i know this might be a stupid/belated question but did everyone turn in their student health forms? being the procrastinator, im not going to get around to it until the 1st day of orientation bc i'll be heading off on a 10 day trip.. :scared:

i sent mine in about six weeks ago, but my student account still says I have a hold for not having it in. anyone else have the same thing? im wondering if its really a problem, or maybe do they just have that hold for all first years until we get to campus? i've been trying to call the health services office, but i keep getting a machine.....

on another note, anyone in the class play fantasy football? if so, we should try to get a league started. just for fun of course...but id be open to upping the ante if anyone wants to do that. lemme know if youre interested....

judging from what you guys are saying about sending in the medical form, i'm guessing i'll have the same hold on my student account... i just sent in my form the other day. and i'm starting to get nervous because when i was looking for the address to send it, i read that we won't be allowed to register for classes unless the form is in the health services office at least a month prior to registration??? :scared:

^^they will give you a lot of hassle if all your forms aren't in. You can still register for classes, I think, but your status will be temporarily put on hold. Just be sure to take a look at the list first--there's a hefty list of shots. The office is also a zoo on the first day of orientation, so I would avoid it if I could (wouldn't you rather spend the time moving in or relaxing or hanging out with your new classmates? than waiting in aggrevating lines?) But if push comes to shove, I think the office also offers shots (I remember a lot of kids being lined up to complete their missing shots).

Make sure you make (and BRING!) copies of all the med forms with you. Last year, even though I had sent everything in, they told me that some files were "incomplete" (duh...because they lost it?) Luckily, I expected their incompetancy so I pulled out my copies right there. The nurse then tried to take and keep the copies I had made, until I politely pointed out "um, can you make copies of those? Those are my copies" (only because I still didn't trust them...whatif they also lose my copies?) :rolleyes:

vandy_yankee said:
^^they will give you a lot of hassle if all your forms aren't in. You can still register for classes, I think, but your status will be temporarily put on hold. Just be sure to take a look at the list first--there's a hefty list of shots. The office is also a zoo on the first day of orientation, so I would avoid it if I could (wouldn't you rather spend the time moving in or relaxing or hanging out with your new classmates? than waiting in aggrevating lines?) But if push comes to shove, I think the office also offers shots (I remember a lot of kids being lined up to complete their missing shots).

Make sure you make (and BRING!) copies of all the med forms with you. Last year, even though I had sent everything in, they told me that some files were "incomplete" (duh...because they lost it?) Luckily, I expected their incompetancy so I pulled out my copies right there. The nurse then tried to take and keep the copies I had made, until I politely pointed out "um, can you make copies of those? Those are my copies" (only because I still didn't trust them...whatif they also lose my copies?) :rolleyes:

I don't recall receiving anything regarding the medical forms. Could anyone post a link to the list of things needed to be completed before matriculation? My email box acidentally deleted all the old mails.

is anyone else still looking for housing?

orientation is less than 1 week away and I'm still looking... :oops:

LadyxJC said:
is anyone else still looking for housing?

orientation is less than 1 week away and I'm still looking... :oops:

Aren't you nervous? I don't think I'd be able to sleep if I didn't know where I'd be living. Have you had any luck with the off-campus housing office?

Good Luck!! :scared:

Have any of you checked out the schedule for the fall semester? there's like 13 classes we have to take. How does that work? ... and will I ever have a life again?!?!

does anyone know what's going on with the orientation?
i received nothing in the mail regarding when and where we should meet!

Grasshoper said:
Have any of you checked out the schedule for the fall semester? there's like 13 classes we have to take. How does that work? ... and will I ever have a life again?!?!

shhh!! I prefer not to think about *work* just yet. All thats on my mind right now is finding the right furniture for my apt and enjoying myself for the next week or so we have off. Its weird how ive stressed over everything under the sun including packing, moving in, wondering how bad airport security is really gonna be, where to buy stuff once im there, making sure all my papers are in at various offices around campus, etc...but the one thing I havent thought about at all is actually going to class and studying. Makes me wonder if im in for a rude awakening...anyone else have that feeling?

Yep.

BallDontLie said:
shhh!! I prefer not to think about *work* just yet. All thats on my mind right now is finding the right furniture for my apt and enjoying myself for the next week or so we have off. Its weird how ive stressed over everything under the sun including packing, moving in, wondering how bad airport security is really gonna be, where to buy stuff once im there, making sure all my papers are in at various offices around campus, etc...but the one thing I havent thought about at all is actually going to class and studying. Makes me wonder if im in for a rude awakening...anyone else have that feeling?

just to let you guys know, the official orientation schedule and big sib assignment was posted on the orientation website. see you guys next monday!

I'm on the same boat.

BallDontLie said:

How do we get into the class website? It's asking for a user name and password! Is this the same one as for our email---- I hate computers!

Thanks

What is the dress code for orientation? Or at least the activities for tomorrow?

SEE YOU GUYS THERE!

Thanks