**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone, i am abroad right now so i need a bit of help with the new information we got. my mum called me and told me that she received a bunch of info about the white coat ceremony, email account, etc.
She couldn't read everything to me over the phone so I would really appreciate it if someone could post some of the info on here for the following topics:

1) White coat ceremony info
2) t-shirt info
3) email account setup

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

rajmahal1980 said:
hey everyone, i am abroad right now so i need a bit of help with the new information we got. my mum called me and told me that she received a bunch of info about the white coat ceremony, email account, etc.
She couldn't read everything to me over the phone so I would really appreciate it if someone could post some of the info on here for the following topics:

1) White coat ceremony info
2) t-shirt info
3) email account setup

Thanks.

1. White coat ceremony - August 25
You have to order the lab coat and name pin by June 15. They sent a form that is to be completed and returned but if you're not going to be back by the deadline, you can also email them the info. Send the "name to be printed on pin" and "coat size" (men's sizes available from 32-50) to [email protected]

2. Orientation t-shirt - form due July 15

3. Set up email account at http://www.columbia.edu/acis/accounts/create/

Have fun abroad :)

LadyxJC said:
1. White coat ceremony - August 25
You have to order the lab coat and name pin by June 15. They sent a form that is to be completed and returned but if you're not going to be back by the deadline, you can also email them the info. Send the "name to be printed on pin" and "coat size" (men's sizes available from 32-50) to [email protected]

2. Orientation t-shirt - form due July 15

3. Set up email account at http://www.columbia.edu/acis/accounts/create/

Have fun abroad :)

Just Wondering...But when did you receive the info about doing those 3 things? I don't think I got that in the mail just yet. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
winlin said:
Just Wondering...But when did you receive the info about doing those 3 things? I don't think I got that in the mail just yet. Thanks

im wondering the same thing...and have there been any other mailings since the beginning of may? I got the housing application and financial aid package, but is there anything else? I wonder if they are still sending stuff to my old school address which i moved out of at the end of april.

also, does anyone know when we can move into our housing? My parents want to come help me get settled in, so im trying to get the dates set so we can book a flight.

Thanks

BallDontLie said:
im wondering the same thing...and have there been any other mailings since the beginning of may? I got the housing application and financial aid package, but is there anything else? I wonder if they are still sending stuff to my old school address which i moved out of at the end of april.

also, does anyone know when we can move into our housing? My parents want to come help me get settled in, so im trying to get the dates set so we can book a flight.

Thanks

all that info just came in the mail a couple days ago for me. should be coming soon for u guys.
it also said that aug 21 is move-in day. so i'm guessing that would be orientation activity #1 for most of us.

BallDontLie said:

Thanks

I called once before, and they said we can start moving in at 9:00am on the 21st.

I thought orientation started August 21st? Man, that's gonna be a hectic schedule, starting orientation and moving in on the same day.

Really dumb question: were we ever allowed to come up with a UNI or did they just assign one to us? Because I don't really like mine, hahah :p

orientation lasts an entire week, so one day of moving in isn't gonna change a whole lot. I doubt they have a whole lot planned for that day anyway.

as far as the UNI, unless you change your name, you're pretty much stuck with it...so yeah, that's life...ain't it a b*tch?

Orientation will not be stressful trust me. You will be given ample time to move in and situate yourself.

Suggestion: Attend every orientation event, even Med School ones when you are free. They are all a lot of fun and you will meet a lot of people. Just watch your pocketbooks, you will hear stories of certain students spending quite a bit of money partying.

Any questions feel free to PM..

You guys are going to have so much fun during orientation! Congrats on choosing Columbia--it is a great place to be!

anyone else still not receive that last mailing?

winlin said:
anyone else still not receive that last mailing?

Me neither, I haven't received anything on labcoat, email account, or orientation T-shirt. Last things I have received are financial aid and housing application. Where are you from winlin? I'm from California so maybe that's why it's taking a while? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
enginerd said:
Me neither, I haven't received anything on labcoat, email account, or orientation T-shirt. Last things I have received are financial aid and housing application. Where are you from winlin? I'm from California so maybe that's why it's taking a while? :confused:

yea, I'm from cali too. Kinda weird, since it seems like we need to do some stuff by the 15th. I guess I'll have to give'em a call and see.

I called them yesterday. They said it was mailed on June 5th, so you should have gotten it by now regardless of where you live. I found out they sent it to my old school address instead of my permanent address, so I had them mail me another one. For those of you that havent gotten it yet, id bet the same thing happened to you. Just give em a call and theyll send you another one.

for those of you having problems with mailing (i did too): just make sure YOU SET UP THE EMAIL SYSTEM!!!

nowadays, whatever they send out via snailmail they will also send out an email reminder too--so as long as your email is set up, even if your snailmail is messed up you won't have to worry too much. SET UP YOUR EMAILS!!!!

</courtesy call> seriously, we're going to have a blast at orientation.

vandy_yankee said:
</courtesy call> seriously, we're going to have a blast at orientation.

What happens during orientation besides getting acquainted with classmates and perhaps taking care of some paperwork? Just curious since it lasts a week... :)

LadyxJC said:
What happens during orientation besides getting acquainted with classmates and perhaps taking care of some paperwork? Just curious since it lasts a week... :)
Well we are planning lots of fun things. So you can get to know each other and the med students. Also during the day you do have lots of information meetings. However the evenings are more fun. Orientation really is a good time.

be sure to ask abt the most recent past exams that are available only to a certain grp of ppl in each class.

Halitosis said:
be sure to ask abt the most recent past exams that are available only to a certain grp of ppl in each class.

judging from your class, how friendly is everyone in terms of sharing the past exams, that they have gotten their hands on, with the rest of the class? is competition amongst your classmates intense?

Competition is there but it is all positive. Everyone passes around notes and exams.

Remember it starts with you sharing your information such that everyone else will do the same.

^competition is tough. I purposely flashed uclaguy yesterday in lab so that he would be distracted and drop his metal bracket. Now he can't finish his ortho project, ha!

LadyxJC said:
judging from your class, how friendly is everyone in terms of sharing the past exams, that they have gotten their hands on, with the rest of the class? is competition amongst your classmates intense?
Seriously, most of the time the old tests can be found on the class websites or the instructors will give them to you. A lot of the old tests that aren't available online to everyone are the 4yrs.old test that people might have gotten from their big sib--and I question how useful the tests that are older than 2 years are towards representing what the current test may be. Halitosis, quit lying--what "recent exams only available to certain ppl in the class" are you talking about? Sometimes, things are "hidden" away online, you just have to find the right website.link--that's why you have to communicate and be social with many classmates to find where those gems are tucked away. If you only hang out with very few classmates, chances are you guys will together miss the recent gossip as to where to find the best study materials (sad, but around exam time, that is the hot topic). The key to surviving the first year is to be social and talk to a LOT of different classmates to find out how they study and what notes do they study from. Again, just to reiterate what uclaguy said, you'll receive as much as you give: if you help out fellow classmates likewise you'll get help. If you're going to keep to yourself, then how could people help you if they don't even know you?

Hey guys... What non-dental volunteer activities are there in the greater city? It might be a useless question, cause if I have a lot of workload, I tend to use my spare time to relax, but who knows.

Also, it's fun to read the June 15th deadline for requesting coat size and t-shirt size after June 15th. I dont have very good luck with deadlines. :)

yeah i just found out too.. so what are we supposed to do then?

I was wondering if attending orientation is required? I'm not sure if it was stated in the package along with the cubmail, labcoat, and orientation T-shirt (which I still haven't received :confused: ). If we are required to attend orientation, does that mean we all have to fly in the morning of the 21st?

Another thing, does anybody know if there are any laptop specification requirements of any sort? Like how fast or any specific hardware add-ons? The only thing I could find on this is "Systems purchased recently (in the past year or two) normally come equipped with CUMC's recommended 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Card, WiFi compliant 802.11b Wireless card, and a CD burner. Please check this page in the future for updates on high, mid-level and low end computers for use by students, faculty and staff." on this webpage http://www.cubhis.org/IC/support_center/comppurch.html, which was guided from http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/ But it doesn't have anything on MHz or RAM or hard drive size. It sounds like all you need is a "laptop," regardless of its specifications...?

Thanks a bunch! :D

pretty sure attendence at orientation is required since there should definitely be information sessions and stuff like that. Plus, orientation is there so you can have an opportunity to meet other people before classes start. I don't really think you would want to miss that chance.

As for the laptop, I don't think they have a strict requirement since it's only used for basic internet access, Word, PowerPoint that type of stuff. It's not like some other schools where their curriculum is tightly integrated into laptop usage. Personally, I recommend Apple laptops

For orientation, if you're late with valid reasons, it's okay. There are numerous information sessions (ie, brief overview of your curriculum, welcome to CU, photo ID pickup, white coat ceremony) during the day and the rest of the afternoons/evenings are just social events for you to know your classmates better. I don't think there's anything planned for the first day, it's just move-in day.

Send in your orientation/labcoatsize/etc ASAP, even if you are late. Better late than never.

Does anyone know when the housing assignments are being mailed out? For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be during June.... and now June is winding down (and btw, we move in exactly 2 months from today, just in case anyone is counting....!) and I have yet to hear anything about housing.

Mand577 said:
Does anyone know when the housing assignments are being mailed out? For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be during June.... and now June is winding down (and btw, we move in exactly 2 months from today, just in case anyone is counting....!) and I have yet to hear anything about housing.

I called yesterday and they told me how the med students were given priority. :eek: We should be receiving something within the next two weeks. Cross your fingers!

[rant] yeah, that's f'n fair. What did the med students do to get preferential treatment? That's a load of bull**** [/end rant]

New question... If it sucks having a car, how about motorcycle? I got one of those, and it might be a nice form of transport to keep around during the summer to travel out of the city... Anyone know the situation with motorcycle parking/storage?

Med students are worse off than dentals because they only have one choice Bard Dorms. Dental students get to select different buildings. :)

Some of you may end up in Bard but it is not horrible. If so many others have done it I am sure so can all of you.

Come to Orientation. I dont know if it is mandatory but I consider it mandatory because its the chillest time of the year and you get to know most of your classmates. Orientation will be amazing. The Orientation Chairs and Committee have worked hard to put some good stuff for you guys. Definitely is a must.

Question about lender: What's the concensus? did most of you guys choose T.H.E.? I'm debating b/w T.H.E. and Student Xpress. The difference is in the interest rate reduction during repayment. 1.3 for T.H.E. vs 2.0 for Xpress.
......... any advice.

?? I was looking at the pretty comprehensive financial plan booklet they sent us with the statue lady on the front and it looks like Access Group has the best deal for Stafford.

Grasshoper said:
Question about lender: What's the concensus? did most of you guys choose T.H.E.? I'm debating b/w T.H.E. and Student Xpress. The difference is in the interest rate reduction during repayment. 1.3 for T.H.E. vs 2.0 for Xpress.
......... any advice.

PegaNinguem said:
?? I was looking at the pretty comprehensive financial plan booklet they sent us with the statue lady on the front and it looks like Access Group has the best deal for Stafford.

ReallY? You think so? it takes 36 months to get the full 2.25% benefit from Access Group.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I recently spoke with a Student Xpress representative and he told me that if you set up automatic debit immediately after having your loans disbursed, you accrue interest at a reduced rate (2% reduction).
The representative even added that you don't have to pay anything while in school, all you have to do is set up the automatic debit account to get this benfit. This seemed hard to believe, so i've called back since that conversation and it's been reconfirmed with other representatives.
I also plan to call Mohela on monday, they're the servicer of the loan. If this is true, I can save at least 4k just on accrued interest during the four years of dental school, not to mention the money saved once repayment starts because a lower amount of accrued interest is capitalized.

Can someone verify? Pinch me if i'm dreaming.

PegaNinguem said:

Pega, are you looking at page 6 of that booklet? There's a sticky on the cover of my booklet informing me that page 6 about stafford terms is not up to date. They were supposed to send updated info in June but........ nothing's come in the mail yet. I hope this isn't a pattern with Columbia, no updates from financial aid, no housing contracts yet..... :scared:

Dunno. I need to call them to get more info on: 2% interest rate reduction immediately upon entering repayment for auto-debit of loan payments. Repayment as in when your grace period is over or 2% reduction immediately because you choose not to capitalize the interest. Also I see a 1% principal reduction on disbursal. That's interesting.

I guess I'll call. Ick, i have no time anymore.

Grasshoper said:
ReallY? You think so? it takes 36 months to get the full 2.25% benefit from Access Group.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I recently spoke with a Student Xpress representative and he told me that if you set up automatic debit immediately after having your loans disbursed, you accrue interest at a reduced rate (2% reduction).
The representative even added that you don't have to pay anything while in school, all you have to do is set up the automatic debit account to get this benfit. This seemed hard to believe, so i've called back since that conversation and it's been reconfirmed with other representatives.
I also plan to call Mohela on monday, they're the servicer of the loan. If this is true, I can save at least 4k just on accrued interest during the four years of dental school, not to mention the money saved once repayment starts because a lower amount of accrued interest is capitalized.

Can someone verify? Pinch me if i'm dreaming.

After calling Mohela, it's become obvious that T.H.E. has the best customer service of all recommended lenders. I hope this info helps someone.

Has anyone else received their housing assingment? Bard Hall, here I come!

Good to hear they are finally starting to send those out. I was really starting to wonder cuz i remember them saying to expect an assignment in June. Well theyve got 3 days left...

housing should be coming soon? people are getting their assignments??? :::waiting on pins and needles and doubting that i'll get housing, being that i'm from new jersey, but seriously hoping that the housing gods have been good to me:::

Although I didn't get mine in the mail yet, I'm pretty sure I'll be put on the waitlist since i'm from NYC. Does anyone know when the people on the waitlist will hear by? I have to start looking for an apartment if I don't get housing asap~

i just got my housing assignment today (Georgian Residence), so you guys should definitely be hearing from the housing office some time this week.

BallDontLie said:
Heres what I did:

1) Georgian 3-person single room
2) Georgian 2-person side by side
3) Bard
4) Georgian studio (too expensive for my liking)

Like everyone else, I put Towers first for the apts but I doubt Ill get in there. At first I was thinkin id want bard, but since bard and georgian are about the same price (excluding the studio), might as well try to get the kitchenette and bathroom included for my money. How in the world can Bard cost the same as Georgian, but come with less in terms of space and convenience? Doesnt make sense to me.....

I think Bard costs the same amount bc the Building itself has many facilities including the gym and it's facilities! Also did you know that most halls are co-ed, including the showers!! Phew, thank god I'm on the all women floor! I would hate to see a guy next to me while I'm showering!

cyperalz said:
I think Bard costs the same amount bc the Building itself has many facilities including the gym and it's facilities! Also did you know that most halls are co-ed, including the showers!! Phew, thank god I'm on the all women floor! I would hate to see a guy next to me while I'm showering!

that sucks for the ladies because the guys don't mind :laugh:

I just got my housing today too. Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones that got the Towers :thumbup:

just got my housing in the mail (via FED EX??) and it looks like im also going to be in the towers :) two very enthusiastic thumbs up for columbia housing.

Mand577 said:
just got my housing in the mail (via FED EX??) and it looks like im also going to be in the towers :) two very enthusiastic thumbs up for columbia housing.

wow. you got into the towers despite living in jersey? Looks like the housing gods were looking out for you after all!

BallDontLie said:
wow. you got into the towers despite living in jersey? Looks like the housing gods were looking out for you after all!

I got Towers also, and I'm from NY...not sure why they told us that people in the tri-state area may not get housing and will be put on a waitlist.

Anyways, does anyone know where we can find a floor plan of the Towers so we can figure out where our apartment is and stuff??

tower II baby!! says we can move in on the 15th. nice.