speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
Columbia seems like a great school but there are a lot of rumors floating around about the lack of clinical training. On their website they boast how they start clinical training in the 2nd year and it's highly emphasized in the 3rd and 4th. It would be great if someone could share some of their personal experiences. What exactly is wrong with their clinical training if anything? What do you feel are the weak points? I'm sure current students (i.e stargirl, and others) could shed the most light here. I also know that the school is constantly undergoing changes. Is this a problem that has been or being corrected?

gangah

15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey man,

I think in the past columbia has been one to focus on research and tahts where they got the reputation of being research oriented. However I believe in recent year they are really changing things and are introducing clinical dentistry to the students much earlier. This is according to faculty and students that i've spoken there. HOwever thats not to say that now suddenly columbia is clinical oriented. If you want great clincial training then goto temple or tufts. If you want a well balanced training with a strong biomedical background then come to columbia.

Fred

About the Ads

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status (Visible)
LOL, I smell another round of ringer-hunting coming on..

Just like a few months ago when everyone was accused of being Gavin. :laugh:

As far as curriculum balanced with biomedical sciences go, most dental schools have that and is not unique to Columbia SDOS. You must have a very good grasp of the biomedical sciences to do well on both parts of the NBDEs in any case, and most dental schools in the U.S. will prepare you pretty well for it.

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status (Visible)
The thing is, lots of dental schools have their DS1 and DS2 curricula integrated with their med school counterparts-- at these dental schools you are sitting with the med students in the same biomedical science course lectures during your first two years.

My school does this, so does Stony, Harvard, UPenn, UMDNJ, and lots others. It ain't unique to SDOS.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
Let's get back on the topic please folks. So Columbia has improved their clinical training?

StarGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by speter33
Let's get back on the topic please folks. So Columbia has improved their clinical training?

yup definately so... even the current first yr are getting more clinical courses... and a lot of betterment for the school is continously going on here.

Doggie

Professional Jackass
15+ Year Member
I dont think any school has the best of both worlds........excelling in both didactics and clinics. Either you assign more days in the clinic or more days in the classroom.

Clinical training officially begins in the fall of 3rd year, and by this point, i would say 90% of all the preclinical classes have been completed. For us 3rd years, we have an average of 1.5 to 2 full clinical days per week. I dont know how this is compared to other schools, but I think it's safe to say that it's somewhere in the middle of the crowd....maybe slightly below average. However, I guess columbia makes up for the lack of clinical skills by grilling the students with books.

I was talking to one of my professors......he's this old school oral surgeon that graduated in the early 40's or 50's. When compared to NYU, he said that NYU dental has better clinical skills while columbia has more brain power. After 1 year of AEGD or GPR, the average columbia student will excel in all facets over the NYU student. I guess you can look at this in a good way or not......... :p

Stargril is right in that more and more clinical training will be implemented. It wont affect my class, but for the current 2nd and 1st years, this change will most likely affect them.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Doggie, what kind of stuff are you doing in the 1.5 - 2 days of clinics your junior year? Comprehensive care? Perio & operative only? Alginate impressions of your classmates? I think that would help the OP better answer his question and I am curious as well.

I can't wait to start my residency in NYC and see this NYU vs. Columbia graduate clinical skill debate for myself. I believe there are students from both schools that will be residents with me. I have heard the same thing Doggie said about the two schools during my interviews in NYC area residencies.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
Seems like all I do here is pre-op lab.

Tue, Thur, Fri for a total of 12 hours. Tue we placed resin modified
glass ionomers and IRM in any four teeth that we preped. Thur we did MOF #3 for composite, MOL #18 for amalgam. Today we did #2, #15, #18, #30 MO...even though they are cake now, we are getting ready for our #3 or #14 MO/DO practical coming up after spring break.

I also know by this time next year we will be working on live patients :clap:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.