Columbia dental school LoR requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helpingtiger

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So on the website it says they require 3 “science” letters. But what falls into that science category? So far I’m getting mine from bio and chem professor, and I’m thinking of getting my 3rd one from a calculus professor because I went to her OH a lot and got an A in all of her classes (took 2 classes with her). But would a letter from a calculus professor count as a science letter?

Should I just get it from my biochem professor? But I don’t think she would write me a strong letter because even tho I got an A in that biochem class, I basically never met her (zoom class). She told me to write a draft myself, but I’m not sure if this is a good way to go.
 
I'd ask Columbia what their position is. Hopefully it would say on the school websites or the DSE. I'm sure the biochem professor would be a "science letter," but as previously advised: a strong letter is better than a bad letter. I would rather the writer be enthusiastic about writing a letter championing you. The biochem professor probably has at least a dozen other people she knows better that she feels better writing letters on their behalf.