Columbia DPT Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bs31812

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with Columbia on Dec 1 and was wondering if anyone else has been invited? Also, any advice on how to prepare would be appreciated! I've heard that it's very casual, but I'd still like to know more if anyone has any idea of what to expect beyond that. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I have an interview on November 17th at Columbia. I've heard that it's very casual and that they try to pair you with a faculty member you have something in common with for the interviews. That's all I know now, but I'll keep you posted! To prepare, I've been reading going over some interview questions online, but also preparing to talk about my college experiences. Congrats on getting an interview!!

Hey! I have an interview on November 17th at Columbia. I've heard that it's very casual and that they try to pair you with a faculty member you have something in common with for the interviews. That's all I know now, but I'll keep you posted! To prepare, I've been reading going over some interview questions online, but also preparing to talk about my college experiences. Congrats on getting an interview!!

Thank you so much! I didn't realize they'd try to pair us with someone specific based on the applications. That's great news. Congrats to you too! Please let me know how it goes. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview with Columbia on Dec 1 and was wondering if anyone else has been invited? Also, any advice on how to prepare would be appreciated! I've heard that it's very casual, but I'd still like to know more if anyone has any idea of what to expect beyond that. Thanks in advance!
Me too! Super excited to get down to NYC

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application to Columbia? I have heard some applicants say they hear back in two weeks, and others two months!

I'll be there on 12/1 as well!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application to Columbia? I have heard some applicants say they hear back in two weeks, and others two months!

I heard back a little before 2 weeks about my interview (I submitted my app around 10/26).

So I actually heard back insanely quickly. I submitted around 10/15, and recieved the invite on 10/20. I'm guessing it was just really good timing. I'm sure you'll hear back soon! Good luck!

I submitted Oct 17 and heard back 3 weeks later. Hope this helps!

Hey! I have an interview on December 1st too! Are you from the city? If not try to leave early and uber or drive there because subways can be unpredictable sometimes and factor in traffic. Look forward to meeting everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I have an interview on December 1st too! Are you from the city? If not try to leave early and uber or drive there because subways can be unpredictable sometimes and factor in traffic. Look forward to meeting everyone :)

I am definitely not from the city. That'll be a whole new experience for me! Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to it :)

I submitted Columbia on Nov. 8th and still havent heard anything. Im getting nervous because its my first choice! Any advice?

I submitted Columbia on Nov. 8th and still havent heard anything. Im getting nervous because its my first choice! Any advice?

I'm just a first time applicant so I don't really know how it all works, but there seems to be a lot of variation in how long it takes them to send out interview invites. I've seen anywhere from 3 days to 3+ weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if it's taking a bit longer now since the deadline is coming up, and there's probably loads of people submitting last minute. If they haven't sent a rejection yet don't give up hope! I hope you hear back soon! Good luck :)

For anyone who attended the Nov 17th interview, what was you experience like? Was it as you expected? Thanks!

Did you ever hear anything back? I am in the same boat as you!

I interviewed at Columbia on Nov 17 and was offered admission on Nov 20. Interview day was amazing, and it was also my first time in New York. Interview was very laid back!

I interviewed at Columbia on Nov 17 and was offered admission on Nov 20. Interview day was amazing, and it was also my first time in New York. Interview was very laid back!

Congratulations! I also received an offer on the 20th and am so excited!

The interview was very laid back; more of a conversation than an actual interview. They try to pair you with a faculty member who shares your interests in the field. Just do your best to relax and enjoy yourself.

Congratulations! I also received an offer on the 20th and am so excited!

The interview was very laid back; more of a conversation than an actual interview. They try to pair you with a faculty member who shares your interests in the field. Just do your best to relax and enjoy yourself.
Thanks for your help, I got in, cannot wait to attend!!!

Thanks for your help, I got in, cannot wait to attend!!!
Congrats!! I'm assuming you heard back today?

I got an email saying they'll be sending out acceptances until Jan18. Anyone else get the same?

I got an email saying they'll be sending out acceptances until Jan18. Anyone else get the same?

I got the same email. I'm a bit worried. Most of the people I've talked to received their acceptances the Monday after the interview, but at least it isn't a rejection! Good luck! Let me know when you get an update? :)

Hey! I was offered an interview today at Columbia! Would anyone who has already interviewed share some more information (I guess if there is anything more than what was already mentioned on this thread) on how it was or like how professionally we should dress? Thank you so much in advance! Congrats to you all for getting accepted!

Hey! I was offered an interview today at Columbia! Would anyone who has already interviewed share some more information (I guess if there is anything more than what was already mentioned on this thread) on how it was or like how professionally we should dress? Thank you so much in advance! Congrats to you all for getting accepted!

Congrats!! The interview was really casual and everyone there was awesome! Definitely wear a suit. There were a couple of girls in nice dresses with blazers, but the majority of us were in suits. There was a lot of walking on the tour, so if you're a girl I'd suggest flats unless you're really comfortable in heels. Most of the day was them trying to woo us. There was a student Q&A session with no faculty in the room so we could ask whatever we wanted without any pressure from faculty, and they did a couple powerpoint presentations about the program itself. The faculty were all fantastic, and more than happy to answer questions or just chat if you caught them between interviews or later in the day. Most of the interviews sounded like they were really laid back. A few people said they just chatted about their interviewer's research the whole time. Personally, I was asked a few typical interview questions and it felt a bit more like an actual interview, so it kind of depends on who you interview with I think. Honestly it was a really great experience. Just relax and enjoy it! You'll do great!

I got the same email. I'm a bit worried. Most of the people I've talked to received their acceptances the Monday after the interview, but at least it isn't a rejection! Good luck! Let me know when you get an update? :)

For sure, best of luck!

The whole day is the school marketing itself to you as much as you are to them, so just relax and be yourself. Make sure to not over rehearse!

Congratulations on being invited for an interview! I submitted by application to Columbia on November 10, and am still waiting to hear back from them. Would you mind sharing your interview date? Good luck!

Congratulations on being invited for an interview! I submitted by application to Columbia on November 10, and am still waiting to hear back from them. Would you mind sharing your interview date? Good luck!

I applied on Nov 2nd and my interview is for Jan 12! Hope you hear back something soon :)

Yes, I heard back Monday afternoon.

Did you ever hear anything back? I am in the same boat as you!

Congrats on your interview! I still havent heard anything so Im hoping thats not bad news!
Would anyone who got an interview/accepted mind sharing their stats? I thought I might be competitive and am really interested in their program but am thinking I may not be:(

Congrats on your interview! I still havent heard anything so Im hoping thats not bad news!
Would anyone who got an interview/accepted mind sharing their stats? I thought I might be competitive and am really interested in their program but am thinking I may not be:(

Major: Biochemistry
cGPA: 3.6
Prereq: 3.64
Observation: 150 hours (roughly) - 40 geriatrics, 35 inpatient, 75 outpatient
Letters of rec: 1 from PI of my undergrad research lab, 1 from summer research fellowship PI, 2 PTs, and 1 Biochem professor (I submitted the 5th letter directly to Columbia's program)

I hope you hear something soon :)

I submitted my application on November 9, thought I was competitive, and haven't heard back either! I am hoping that they are still reviewing the applications! Please post if you hear anything back from them...

Hi SLJ12, wondering if you heard back from Columbia yet?

I think I might be able to be of some help here!

It seems like the program is holding three interview dates from what I am hearing so far- 11/17, 12/1, and 1/12. The administrative director of the program emailed me back stating that all of the responses to DPT applicants for this cycle are anticipated to be sent out by mid-late January, meaning that I think the 1/12 interview date is the last official one. I am unsure though, and I am also unsure of how it works after those dates - maybe applicants who were not invited to interview will be invited to a later interview date if the class has not been filled? I read from the Columbia '19 thread that some applicants were placed on an "alternate list" which I am assuming means waitlist and then were given percentages.

However, it does say according to some acceptance letters that the class will not be finalized until March (also according to that thread). One of the people even got accepted in late April apparently. DO NOT LOSE HOPE!

Last edited:
Hi SLJ12, wondering if you heard back from Columbia yet?
I haven't yet:( I was considering emailing someone to check in on my application but Im not sure if that's appropriate!

I think I might be able to be of some help here!

It seems like the program is holding three interview dates from what I am hearing so far- 11/17, 12/1, and 1/12. The administrative director of the program emailed me back stating that all of the responses to DPT applicants for this cycle are anticipated to be sent out by mid-late January, meaning that I think the 1/12 interview date is the last official one. I am unsure though, and I am also unsure of how it works after those dates - maybe applicants who were not invited to interview will be invited to a later interview date if the class has not been filled? I read from the Columbia '19 thread that some applicants were placed on an "alternate list" which I am assuming means waitlist and then were given percentages.

However, it does say according to some acceptance letters that the class will not be finalized until March (also according to that thread). One of the people even got accepted in late April apparently. DO NOT LOSE HOPE!

Thanks for the hope:) From what I was seeing I assumed 1/12 was the last interview date and Im sure theyve sent out all the invites to that date. We will just have to see what happens though!

Thanks for the hope:) From what I was seeing I assumed 1/12 was the last interview date and Im sure theyve sent out all the invites to that date. We will just have to see what happens though!

Of course! :) Also - I just checked their website and it says there that they will be holding interviews beginning in November and continuing through January AND February and that a full class will be admitted by March! So to all that haven't gotten an interview yet seriously do not lose hope... your interview just may be in February!

Last edited:
Of course! :) Also - I just checked their website and it says there that they will be holding interviews beginning in November and continuing through January AND February and that a full class will be admitted by March! So to all that haven't gotten an interview yet seriously do not lose hope... your interview just may be in February!
I had also assumed that Jan 12 was the last interview date. Thanks so much for this information, which definitely brings back hope .

does somebody hear back from Columbia for the interview yet ?

does somebody hear back from Columbia for the interview yet ?

I was there on the 12th and have not heard back yet either. I am getting really anxious because I heard most people received acceptances the following business day.

I was there on the 12th and have not heard back yet either. I am getting really anxious because I heard most people received acceptances the following business day.

I was also at the Jan 12 interview and have also not heard anything back!

I was also at the Jan 12 interview and have also not heard anything back!

So do we think that this is a more generic they just haven't picked anyone yet thing or do you think it's something to be worried about?

So do we think that this is a more generic they just haven't picked anyone yet thing or do you think it's something to be worried about?

I don't know really, but I wouldn't worry yet!

Just heard back from them today with a rejection. Disappointed cause Columbia was def my top choice but also excited for whats next. Best of luck to the rest of y'all!

Just heard back from them today with a rejection. Disappointed cause Columbia was def my top choice but also excited for whats next. Best of luck to the rest of y'all!

I'm sorry to hear that! I still haven't heard anything :/ good luck at whichever school you wind up choosing!

Has anyone from the Jan 12th interview heard anything back yet? Starting to get a little worried...

Has anyone from the Jan 12th interview heard anything back yet? Starting to get a little worried...

I am getting worried as well. I haven't heard anything either and I was there also!

Reactions: 1 users
I am getting worried as well. I haven't heard anything either and I was there also!

Do you think it would be appropriate to call them and ask them? Just cause there are also other universities that are waiting for a response...

Do you think it would be appropriate to call them and ask them? Just cause there are also other universities that are waiting for a response...

If I were you and were waiting to send answers to other schools, definitely give them a ring! I'm sure it can't hurt you... you're just curious because you have to get back to other schools by a certain date. I feel like it would be inappropriate for me because the deposit deadlines for my other schools are a lil later as of right now so that's the only reason why I'm not! PLEASE let us know the verdict!

If I were you and were waiting to send answers to other schools, definitely give them a ring! I'm sure it can't hurt you... you're just curious because you have to get back to other schools by a certain date. I feel like it would be inappropriate for me because the deposit deadlines for my other schools are a lil later as of right now so that's the only reason why I'm not! PLEASE let us know the verdict!

Ok great! Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being too pushy unnecessarily! I think i'm going to give it till this afternoon and then call if I don't hear anything but I will be sure to tell you all what they say :)