Columbia IHN Masters program vs. Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student123321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was accepted into both the Columbia IHN MS in human Nutrition Program as well as Georgetown Special Masters Program in physiology. I applied to med schools this cycle, but I have not gotten in anywhere yet. I was wondering which of these two programs would be most helpful at getting me into a med school in the future. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances! It depends on your situation... Georgetown is a GPA-fixing program, whereas Columbia is not. For Georgetown, you take the same classes as the med school students and it will essentially override your undergrad grades because your performance will be a very reliable indicator of your survival in med school. That being said, if you do great there are MASSIVE benefits. If you get over a 3.7 GPA, you get an interview & if not, you still are chosen from a much smaller pool of applicants & you'd be interacting with admissions and faculty your entire year. Columbia, on the other hand, doesn't necessarily fix your GPA and is more of an experience for research & being part of the Columbia community. I've heard alot of the classes are nutrition/public health based so its up to you to determine how worthy that is. I have heard you can get great pubs and be a part of the Med Center community. It just depends on what you think you lacked in your app that hurt you this cycle. I'm currently thinking about the Columbia program because I need more research :/ If possible, how difficult do you think admissions was for Columbia? I'm a bit stuck because I dont know if the Columbia name is worth the price tag..Especially because its not technically Columbia, but Columbia IHN. But at the same time, the program is part of the med school.. I just don't know if its highly regarded. Hope thishelps! P.M. me if you wanna discuss :)

Reactions: 1 user