Columbia MA versus Partially Funded PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPsi22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I was admitted into 2 partially funded clinical psychology PhD programs that I don't see myself being very happy at. I was also admitted to the MA program at Columbia University in clinical psychology. I applied this year with a heavy neuroscience background, with very minimal traditional psychological research experience. I think I'd have a shot if I took advantage of the opportunities at Columbia, and perhaps gain admission for fall 2015 at fully funded schools (in which case the increased amount of debt would be cancelled out).

Questions:

For those of you who did the MA in clinical psychology at Columbia (or elsewhere), did you apply the same year you were in your masters? Also, what kind of opportunities did you take advantage of? Do you believe it was a valuable experience? What would you do in my situation? Finally, where did you and your classmates end up going (i.e., were they fully funded programs)? Feel free to message me as well.

Thank you very much. I only have 2 days to make this decision :/

Members don't see this ad.

You sound like you have already decided against the 2 PhD programs you got accepted to. That's good news, because you really don't want to get involved with an intense program that you are not convinced will give you what you want. It would also give 2 people on the waitlist the chance to get into a program that they are really hoping to go to. I would also assume that your feelings towards those programs don't only have to do with the money. I think taking a year or two at Columbia could get you ahead for the next application cycle. Or if you have the opportunity to, why don't you stay working where you are now, instead of paying tuition for a year or two...

All the best.

It's a wonderful program if you are willing to put the time in to find opportunities. There are MANY things you can get involved with including stuff on the medical campus (e.g., NYSPI). However, the classes are very large. It is not the program per say that will help you out, it is all the extra stuff that you will do as part of the TC/CU community. There are also opportunities to join main faculty labs so if you are interested in attending TC for a doctoral program, it is a great way to get to know the faculty. Hope this helps & good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't completely decided against one of the 2 programs, actually. I would love to go to Columbia and be in NYC, but I don't know if I can psychologically apply again, so that makes it a very tough decision.

Freudian Slip--thank you for this. Did you apply for PhD programs the same year you started the master's program? I'm reading in some places that it takes a year to complete, and in others I'm seeing that it takes 1 year and 1 semester. Ideally, I would like to apply this upcoming cycle. Also, would you describe the coursework as manageable while participating in all of these other activities? Do you think it is possible to get publications while at the program as well?

Thank you so much :)

I don't think it would be helpful to apply the same year as you enter the program, only because I don't know if you will have gotten to know faculty well enough or had any publications by the time you need to reapply for PhD programs (approx. 4 months into the program). I think most people apply during their second year.

The coursework is very manageable with the other activities. Most people I attended with worked in a lab on campus and at a nearby facility.

I totally hear you about the psychology of the application process! It's a rough one to have to do a second time.

I see. Do most people take 2 years to complete the masters, or do you mean second year off?

It definitely is!

I think most people do it in 1 1/2-2 years and apply during the Fall Semester of their last year in the program.

Hmm.. Though the program sounds fantastic I think I'd rather get started with grad school then take two more years to improve my resume. Plus I'm looking at the costs of the program and it seems quite expensive :oops:

Thanks so much for your help. If you know of people who have finished in one year, however, please let me know

Reactions: 1 user