UCLA:
Yes:
Strong didactic
California school, so cheap tuition
California school, so findind patients for licencsure is easier
Great weather

No:
Well compare to Columbia, the name.

Why do people still insist that columbia has a "poor" clinical training? What proof do you have besides hearsay from non-columbia predental students on this board. I must say that in recent years columbia has really made the effort to improve their clinical training, and even though its not the best, you DEFINATELY can't call it "poor". I would say it has a superb biomedical training and average clinical training.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
jk5177. Congrats on getting into some awesome schools. But as for columbia, I've heard from some non-columbia predental students on this board that the school has a poor clinical program. Honestly, I think this is a no-brainer: UCLA all the way baby!! UCLA is a sweet school and besides what you might think, it does have a very strong name. Good luck mon ami !!! :luck: :thumbup:

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 18, 2002
Boston, MA
www.dentalfred.com
Status
delicious said:
jk5177. Congrats on getting into some awesome schools. But as for columbia, I've heard from some non-columbia predental students on this board that the school has a poor clinical program. Honestly, I think this is a no-brainer: UCLA all the way baby!! UCLA is a sweet school and besides what you might think, it does have a very strong name. Good luck mon ami !!! :luck: :thumbup:
It's a no brainer alright, it takes a no brainer to pick UCLA

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
freedyx3 said:
ouch!!

drtagman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2004
brentwood, ca
Status
i think they are both really great schools and it should depend on where you want to be. I think that either way you will turn out to be the same type of dentist- three years out of dental school you will be just as good as a clinician as you want to be. the money isnt that much less at ucla and ive heard that they have problems finding patients for their clinical program. im choosing columbia cuz ive been in la all my life and the weather can only keep you here for a while. good luck buddy but i suggest if you wanna have a good time, i think this class at columbia is gunna be pretty sick. and nyc is our playground.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
drtagman said:
i think they are both really great schools and it should depend on where you want to be. I think that either way you will turn out to be the same type of dentist- three years out of dental school you will be just as good as a clinician as you want to be. the money isnt that much less at ucla and ive heard that they have problems finding patients for their clinical program. im choosing columbia cuz ive been in la all my life and the weather can only keep you here for a while. good luck buddy but i suggest if you wanna have a good time, i think this class at columbia is gunna be pretty sick. and nyc is our playground.
CUSDOS Class of 2009 will be unlike any other.

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Manhattan, NYC
Status
Dental Student
It would be fun to have you at columbia, but if you have a chance to go to UCLA and pay less (in state tuition) it would be silly to go to columbia unless the name is that important to you and you are rich or something.

UCLA and Columbia have comparable programs, but remember that it is harder than you think to just move to another state and take their state boards so if you are thinking of practicing in Cali, go there.

MrBenny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2004
Status
don't get caught up in the whole "name" and reputation thing. its ok for that to be one factor in making your decision, but don't let it be your deciding one.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
freedyx3 said:
I find your comment very insulting. Do you think the 88 students who chose UCLA over other top schools are morons? How about applicants whose top preference is UCLA?

Wow, you give your school a very bad name already. I certainly don't want a classmate with your mentality. Humble yourself please.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
niceteeth said:
I find your comment very insulting. Do you think the 88 students who chose UCLA over other top schools are morons? How about applicants whose top preference is UCLA?

Wow, you give your school a very bad name already. I certainly don't want a classmate with your mentality. Humble yourself please.
Yeah, and i don't think he was joking. I think there's a bit of an inferiority complex at columbia.

nnjh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
Yeah, and i don't think he was joking. I think there's a bit of an inferiority complex at columbia.

There are some students here who refused UCLA for CU and I am sure the opposite is true for some students at UCLA. Both are equally great schools. If you want to experience the big apple come to CU if you hate lousy weather stay in cali.

The "inferiority complex" comment was uncalled for and absurd. Its pretty hard to have an inferiority complex after being accepted to one of the most competitive programs in the nation.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
nnjh said:
Its pretty hard to have an inferiority complex after being accepted to one of the most competitive programs in the nation.
:eek: :eek: Sorry, I mean to say superiority complex. :laugh:

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
nnjh said:
The "inferiority complex" comment was uncalled for and absurd. Its pretty hard to have an inferiority complex after being accepted to one of the most competitive programs in the nation.
From a medical dictionary:

Inferiority Complex, unconscious feelings of inadequacy, producing timidity or, as a compensation, exaggerated aggressiveness and expression of superiority; based on Alfred Adler's concept that everyone is born with a feeling of inferiority stemming from real or imagined physical or psychological deficiency, with the manner in which the inferiority is handled determining behavior.

Nnjh, you're absolutely right. It was uncalled for and absurd to say that freedyx3 suffer from a "inferiority complex", but he certainly exhibit a symptom. :)

UCLA and Columbia are both great schools. You can't go wrong with either one; it's just a matter of personal preference. I had a similiar option between PENN and UCLA and , after much thinking, I chose UCLA. Don't let the name get to you, or people who brag about Ivy League this and Ivy League that. Stick to what you think is right for you.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
niceteeth said:
From a medical dictionary:

Inferiority Complex, unconscious feelings of inadequacy, producing timidity or, as a compensation, exaggerated aggressiveness and expression of superiority; based on Alfred Adler's concept that everyone is born with a feeling of inferiority stemming from real or imagined physical or psychological deficiency, with the manner in which the inferiority is handled determining behavior.

Nnjh, you're absolutely right. It was uncalled for and absurd to say that freedyx3 suffer from the "inferiority complex", but he certainly exhibit a symptom. :)
Thank you!! This is exactly what I was trying to say - couldn't put the words together. :D :laugh:

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
niceteeth said:
UCLA and Columbia are both great schools. You can't go wrong with either one; it's just a matter of personal preference. I had a similiar option between PENN and UCLA and , after much thinking, I chose UCLA. Don't let the name get to you, or people who brag about Ivy League this and Ivy League that. Stick to what you think is right for you.

Last time I checked, the two UC's were pretty darn good. So I too don't think the name means much. Anyways, the Pac-10 is way better in sports than the IVY league :laugh:

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
nothen2do said:
Last time I checked, the two UC's were pretty darn good. So I too don't think the name means much. Anyways, the Pac-10 is way better in sports than the IVY league :laugh:
Ditto.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
freedyx3 said:
Is that why the average national boards score last year for UCLA was a 92%, and that we compete with Harvard and UCONN for the Top 3 spots every year for NBDE rankings?

Heh.

niceteeth: Glad to see you picked UCLA. Prepare yourself for two years of very very hard work. =)

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
ziptree said:
Is that why the average national boards score last year for UCLA was a 92%, and that we compete with Harvard and UCONN for the Top 3 spots every year for NBDE rankings?

Heh.

niceteeth: Glad to see you picked UCLA. Prepare yourself for two years of very very hard work. =)
Wow, I did not know that fact. From what you wrote earlier about the competition at UCLA, I was hesitant with my decision since I will have to study extra hard just to stay afloat.. but I guess it really shows elsewhere, like in the NB. Thanks ziptree, I look forward to meeting you come September. :D

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Why do you think the NBDE scores are so high?
I imagine Columbia would be high because they have all that biomedical program up the gazoo.