Columbia or Yale MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Columbia or Yale MSTP?

  • Columbia

    Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Yale

    Votes: 17 44.7%

  • Total voters
    38

tunemasterd

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trying to decide between the two. Leaning towards Columbia for their 7 year average graduation rate (3 years med school) vs. 8 for Yale. I was under the impression that Columbia med school is slightly more prestigious than Yale's, but it seems like the Match List is slightly stronger at Yale (especially for Harvard hospitals). No AOA until after residency apps at Yale, so presumably less pressure. Yale has more layman prestige. Both are close to home.

Which would you pick?
 
Trying to decide between the two. Leaning towards Columbia for their 7 year average graduation rate (3 years med school) vs. 8 for Yale. I was under the impression that Columbia med school is slightly more prestigious than Yale's, but it seems like the Match List is slightly stronger at Yale (especially for Harvard hospitals). No AOA until after residency apps at Yale, so presumably less pressure. Yale has more layman prestige. Both are close to home.

Which would you pick?

After living in New Haven last year, I'd say it depends on your research interests (e.g. Yale is strong in psych research, translational imaging, etc.).
 
If it comes down to two programs with the reputation and scientific acumen of Columbia and Yale, then I would say that it ultimately comes down to location, i.e. where you do you want to live for 8, potentially 9 years. Would not recommend doing so in New Haven. Friend of mine from undergrad at Duke is a current law student, and the way he described it was, "New Haven is Durham ... 20 years ago, before the cool stuff moved in." When I interviewed, I couldn't see living there being a happy, healthy experience, so I didn't bother revisiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad