Columbia University Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleburtle77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I still apply to Columbia if they require 3 science professors when I have 2 science and 1 dentist LOR? Also how realistic is my chances with a 3.76/22 AA/22TS?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can I still apply to Columbia if they require 3 science professors when I have 2 science and 1 dentist LOR? Also how realistic is my chances with a 3.76/22 AA/22TS?

Thank you!

You still should have room for one more science, so I’d try to get it. Not sure about Columbia specifically, but most schools are really strict about their letter requirements. It’s best to call them and ask.

And your stats are competitive for pretty much anywhere. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would email and ask, so that you have the response in writing. I also find that many schools are very hard core about their letter requirements, since I asked quite a few schools if engineering could count as a science letter, and most of them would not budge on it having to be strictly BCP. Also, I see that Columbia allows you to submit letters directly to them if your 4 AADSAS letters are already used up, so I would not be surprised if they respond by saying you have less of an excuse to deviate from their requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need 3 science prof letters if you're having a committee packet of letters (only 2 science) sent in?

You would still need the 3rd science professor. They said you can send it in directly to them or if you still ahve room on AADSAS submit it there. Some say if your stats are good they "overlook" the fact that you're missing a LOR but do at your own risk...

You need the third science, I tried last year and they were strict about it.

Does the science letter specifically means it's from a professor who taught you a course? I have a letter from the head of the oral biology department somewhere who I did research with; would that not count since I didn't take a course with him? He's obviously science faculty. Columbia isn't responding to email sadly :/