Columbia University Science Honors Program

D

deleted316655

Does anyone know about this program? If so, is it a good one? What did you learn and what did you do? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/shp/

Columbia University Science Honors Program, or Columbia SHP, is a highly selective program for tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade high school students. Classes are held each Saturday during the entire academic year from September through May. There are no tuition charges for the program, and the SHP has offered courses that have spanned from "Organic Chemistry" to "Computer Programming in Java" to "Calculus in the Complex Plane."
To apply to Columbia SHP, students must go online to the Columbia SHP website. The main portion of the application process is a rigorous three-hour examination that contains questions in both mathematics and science, with an emphasis on the former. The average acceptance rate for the program is usually around 15%.
Applications are mailed to schools within a 75-mile radius of Columbia's campus, and there are several parts besides the test. A transcript of student's grades, a recommendation by a science or math teacher, and a student essay are also considered.

--Wikipedia

Doesn't sound like a bad program haha

Thanks for the information. I was asking because I applied to this program but didn't really know what it consisted of. I am taking the exam this Saturday. I think it would be great to get in to. I really hope I pass the exam.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good free program to help you get a head start on your science education taught by Columbia professors.

That being said, if you're the type to get hung up on schoolwork and not do anything for this program, then you're not going to get much out of it.

Great place to network with people like you in the tri-state area.

Good free program to help you get a head start on your science education taught by Columbia professors.

That being said, if you're the type to get hung up on schoolwork and not do anything for this program, then you're not going to get much out of it.

Great place to network with people like you in the tri-state area.

Yea. Every Saturday until May is kind of intense, especially when you have other responsibilities. I think it will be a good experience though, if I get in. Networking is always good, so maybe I will be able to meet some cool people. Have you ever been part of this program?

Is it held on their campus, or online?

On Campus. Wish I had the grades. I'd take advantage of the program.

This is a great program; I got into it in my senior year (that's when I found out about it). There is a testing and screening process, but definitely worth doing if you're in the Tri-State area...

Every Saturday from 10:00am-12:30am, I go to the Morningside Columbia campus and have class in a certain subject. Every semester, depending upon availability, you are allowed to select one course in fields ranging from game theory to neurobiology. I am currently taking Organic Chemistry (best class ever --> free food + labs).

PM me with more questions if you'd like.

I'm in SHP right now and I love it. Granted, sometimes I'd rather sleep in but the program is definitely informative. I liked my first course better, which was a lab-based course. My second course is a lecture and I find some of them boring, but I'm actually learning a LOT about becoming a PhD/researcher because my prof is currently a grad student and she likes to talk about conventions and things she's been to so at least I'm learning SOMETHING. I think it's definitely worth it because you will definitely learn, whether it's what you intended to learn or not.

This is my first post so I feel the need to use a few cool smilies :cool: :D :scared: :idea: :love: :thumbup: :xf:

I'm in SHP right now and I love it. Granted, sometimes I'd rather sleep in but the program is definitely informative. I liked my first course better, which was a lab-based course. My second course is a lecture and I find some of them boring, but I'm actually learning a LOT about becoming a PhD/researcher because my prof is currently a grad student and she likes to talk about conventions and things she's been to so at least I'm learning SOMETHING. I think it's definitely worth it because you will definitely learn, whether it's what you intended to learn or not.

This is my first post so I feel the need to use a few cool smilies :cool: :D :scared: :idea: :love: :thumbup: :xf:

You're in the program now? Was it hard to get in? I just took the test this Saturday, but I'm not sure how I did. It sounds like fun, especially since I like learning. I really hope I get in.:xf: btw, I love the smilies too. They're so much fun.:)