Columbia v. Johns Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwilson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at Hopkins' joint MIA/MHS (International Health) program at Bloomberg and SAIS, as well as the MPH program at Columbia (still waiting to hear from SIPA for the MIA). I really don't know where I should go and have to notify Bloomberg by the 15th of this month. Anybody with advice? I'm currently volunteering at the Clinton Foundation, with the HIV/AIDS Initiative. I'd ideally like to get into HIV program management, as well as non-profit consulting (specifically in healthcare, i.e. the Global Fund, etc.). Is Bloomberg that much better (based on reputation) than Mailman? Is getting an MHS over the MPH a big difference? Any help appreciated, I'm kind of nervous here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hihi!

I hope this thread helps - scroll about halfway down to the really long post listing 8 things.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

I hope this thread helps - scroll about halfway down to the really long post listing 8 things.

Sorry, I'm confused. What are you referring to??

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that MIA at Columbia is pretty popular and has a very nice function concentration program. However their MPH like doc said isnt that great. My visit to Columbia was pretty much the same as his. Most people didn't seem very happy there and the dorms were really shabby considering how much you end up paying to attend the school. Career services are much better for their Law and MBA programs than their MPH, in which you basically have to go and look for stuff yourself. I would probably pick Hopkins if I were you based on the fact that both schools are actually ranked very high and the people at Hopkins that I came across seemed nice and helpful. Their MHS is for people who come straight from undergrad, but as you are doing a combination degree I think you will fine. good luck man and congrats on getting in both programs. Do let me know some stats regarding the IA program I am considering to apply for that later.

Homer101 said:
I know that MIA at Columbia is pretty popular and has a very nice function concentration program. However their MPH like doc said isnt that great. My visit to Columbia was pretty much the same as his. Most people didn't seem very happy there and the dorms were really shabby considering how much you end up paying to attend the school. Career services are much better for their Law and MBA programs than their MPH, in which you basically have to go and look for stuff yourself. I would probably pick Hopkins if I were you based on the fact that both schools are actually ranked very high and the people at Hopkins that I came across seemed nice and helpful. Their MHS is for people who come straight from undergrad, but as you are doing a combination degree I think you will fine. good luck man and congrats on getting in both programs. Do let me know some stats regarding the IA program I am considering to apply for that later.

Hihi!

Thanks Homer - I was wondering if I was the only person who thought the same thing. A lot of the people I met there during visit day were actually impressed, and I was wondering if I was missing something. It's good to know I didn't totally miss the boat. =/

Thanks guys. I have been leaning towards Columbia, but now am a little more wary. But it's good to know what's really going on. I'm visiting Bloomberg on Monday, which should help a lot. I do prefer New York, as SAIS/JHU tend to direct people more towards the Foreign Service, World Bank, etc., whereas New York has closer ties to business and NGOs. Not sure that's always the case, but that's my impression. Plus, the Clinton Foundation is right there and I could conceivably still work for them, at least in the summer. Does anyone know which school has a better focus on AIDS? Hopkins seems strong, but so does Columbia (Jeff Sachs is there). Thanks again for all the help, it's much appreciated!

Homer, what did you want to know about the MIA program at Columbia? I can fill you in about SAIS as well if you'd like?

Basically I was trying to find out if MIA degree requires some paritcular background? What are the average scores on teh GRE and GPA of people who get accepted to programs in IA. Hopkins or Columbia. Thanks and have fun on your visit.

Both Hopkins and Columbia require macro and micro econ courses, though you can take these in a preterm before starting your degree there in some cases. I think you also need at least one calculus course. SIPA doesn't officially require GRE scores, though they are highly recommended. As such, I don't think they place very much importance on them; it's more of a way of pushing you over if you're borderline, I'd guess. SAIS allows you to take either the GRE or GMAT, but you must take one. The middle 50% of enrolled students have a range of 590-700 on the verbal and 630-750 on the math. GMAT range is 530-770. If you have a fear of foreign languages that could be a problem, as you need to demonstrate fluency in one to graduate for either program, but otherwise that's about it. Most people have some work/internship experience, but it's not absolutely necessary.