Columbia vs Penn vs Pitt (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

School 1: Columbia

Pros:
  • Big City Person-NYC
  • P/F
  • Center of Precision Medicine
  • Med Curriculum
  • Medium Class Size
  • Dream School for as long as I can remember
Cons:
  • Costs
School 2: Penn
Pros:
  • 30k/year Scholarship
  • Location-Philly
  • Located on same campus as undergrad/other grad schools
Cons:
  • Grades
  • Large Class Size
School 3: Pitt (IS)
Pros:
  • Lots of connections to the school
Cons:
  • Expensive for an Instate school
  • A little too close to home
Summary: My gut is telling me to go to Columbia, not because of the name but more so the curriculum and the location, which are very important to me. However, it is difficult to ignore the price, although I plan on applying for many scholarships, even small value ones because anything can help. With the scholarship from Penn, Pitt and Penn are about the same price. I am from around the Pittsburgh area, and did my undergrad close by, so I really do want to branch out. If it were just a decision between Pitt and Penn, I would go Penn. I also want to add I do plan on specializing in the future in either perio or omfs. Thank you everyone for your input.
 
School 1: Columbia
Pros:
  • Big City Person-NYC
  • P/F
  • Center of Precision Medicine
  • Med Curriculum
  • Medium Class Size
  • Dream School for as long as I can remember
Cons:
  • Costs
School 2: Penn
Pros:
  • 30k/year Scholarship
  • Location-Philly
  • Located on same campus as undergrad/other grad schools
Cons:
  • Grades
  • Large Class Size
School 3: Pitt (IS)
Pros:
  • Lots of connections to the school
Cons:
  • Expensive for an Instate school
  • A little too close to home
Summary: My gut is telling me to go to Columbia, not because of the name but more so the curriculum and the location, which are very important to me. However, it is difficult to ignore the price, although I plan on applying for many scholarships, even small value ones because anything can help. With the scholarship from Penn, Pitt and Penn are about the same price. I am from around the Pittsburgh area, and did my undergrad close by, so I really do want to branch out. If it were just a decision between Pitt and Penn, I would go Penn. I also want to add I do plan on specializing in the future in either perio or omfs. Thank you everyone for your input.
how much more is columbia?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If Penn and Pitt are around the same price -- I'd go with Penn. Chose Penn over Columbia back in the day largely because of cost. Living in NYC will also be very expensive which is a huge consideration bc now you're not just paying for things education-related. Penn does well matching students into Perio and OMFS so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Ultimately, Penn and Columbia will give you a relatively similar experience and having grades at Penn didn't feel that stressful for me since we were completely unranked and everyone collaborated w one another. I think if you can save money now, you'll thank yourself later.
 
I would think even with a $30k/y scholarship the difference between Pitt and Penn is significant. Really go item by item on their estimates (not the total budget they let you borrow, but what you’d actually pay for insurance/housing and what fees are mandatory). Consider car vs public transit, and housing costs. Both are good schools but I appreciate the need to branch out. If you’re specializing though you can always do residency elsewhere and less debt buys more freedom in the long run.

If Penn is really <$100k more than Pitt I could see going for it. I wouldn’t pay more for Columbia than Penn IMO.
 
I would think even with a $30k/y scholarship the difference between Pitt and Penn is significant. Really go item by item on their estimates (not the total budget they let you borrow, but what you’d actually pay for insurance/housing and what fees are mandatory). Consider car vs public transit, and housing costs. Both are good schools but I appreciate the need to branch out. If you’re specializing though you can always do residency elsewhere and less debt buys more freedom in the long run.

If Penn is really <$100k more than Pitt I could see going for it. I wouldn’t pay more for Columbia than Penn IMO.
2019 data shows $134k COA difference between IS pitt and private upenn
so the scholly would make the difference only $14k
 
Go to Pitt . Although a little too close to home is a con right now, rest assured that when things get crazy at school, that’ll become a pro. You will need family and friends - a support system. They also have a great clinical experience.
 
Three good schools for different reasons…go to the cheapest choice. Is 50 - 70k include everything? ALL costs? To include living? That is a lot…I’m struggling to say this, but the only exception I would make is if you were 100% positive you wanted to do OMFS (which it doesn’t seem so…”perio or OMFS”), I could see an argument for choosing Columbia. Again, I would only consider this if you were 100% sure about OMFS, and you like everything about the school, location, etc. if not, go to the cheapest option.
 
Would love to know what your final decision is and why? A follow-up comment on this thread after you start classes is nice to see too!