Columbia vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that you were called a troll because you seem to take great pleasure in writing inflamatory posts.
I thought they were amusing, don't get me wrong, but the original poster wanted advice, and you seemed to take it up as your own personal crusade. Hope you are doing something else productive with all that fire you got burning.

Members don't see this ad.

Since there is no universal definition of troll, I'm using Wikipedia's. These are some things I noticed by BP.

"inflammatory messages ? "You are an idiot for including this type of message in your list."

messages containing an obvious flaw or error ? "I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is Roman Polanski's best movie." (Gleevec already pointed these out)

after a flamewar ensues, pretending to be innocent."

Anyways. I'm not wasting any more time on this guy. As the Checker's commercial says, "you gotta eat!"

thewebthsp said:
Since there is no universal definition of troll, I'm using Wikipedia's. These are some things I noticed by BP.

"inflammatory messages — "You are an idiot for including this type of message in your list."

messages containing an obvious flaw or error — "I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is Roman Polanski's best movie." (Gleevec already pointed these out)

after a flamewar ensues, pretending to be innocent."

Anyways. I'm not wasting any more time on this guy. As the Checker's commercial says, "you gotta eat!"

Well...at least you're right about one thing. You are finished posting here.

Members don't see this ad :)
BerkeleyPremed said:
***SLAPS FOREHEAD WITH RIGHT HAND IN FRUSTRATION AND PLACES HEAD DOWN ON TABLE*** Biology...biology is the field I was looking at...not frog research...lol...frog research FALLS UNDER biological research. Secondly, I posted the National Research Council rankings..go look at them before you bash them. I know the shortcomings of US News...so I posted an alternative source that uses much more in-depth factors when ranking grad programs. Well...you're right about one thing though...grad school applicants and admissions officers do certainly pay attention to the rankings.

Apparently they don't teach sarcasm at berkely.

God this is hilarious, I'm about crying in the library right now!!!

scrappydawg said:
Apparently they don't teach sarcasm at berkely.

God this is hilarious, I'm about crying in the library right now!!!

i hear you scrappydawg. we've been experiencing it all day. this thread is one of the funniest i've read. berkeleypremed is one of a kind. he's crazy as a bat but the kid makes us laugh.

you have to read the one where he tells me i can't read at the end. his exchanges with gleevec are pretty funny too.

you guys should do a post search on Berkely Premed, its a trollish riot. My favorite was when he said he was taking a year off before applying because he didnt think his 3.7 science GPA was good enough to get into a decent school :laugh: :laugh:

Well I was going to jump in on the debate, but I arrived too late as all the other UCSF peeps made the points I was going to mention, and it seems things have subsided a bit.

But man do I love some troll bashing. Its funny how they wired so much differently then normal ppl.

Cerberus said:
you guys should do a post search on Berkely Premed, its a trollish riot. My favorite was when he said he was taking a year off before applying because he didnt think his 3.7 science GPA was good enough to get into a decent school :laugh: :laugh:

Cerberus, this kid is out of control. i've been laughing at him all day. his post search is pretty funny but i haven't quite gotten to his measly 3.7 yet. we should tell that duke is better than berkeley again and watch him freak out. do you think the frog research at berkeley will ever be the same?

mdmike24 said:
Cerberus, this kid is out of control. i've been laughing at him all day. his post search is pretty funny but i haven't quite gotten to his measly 3.7 yet. we should tell that duke is better than berkeley again and watch him freak out. do you think the frog research at berkeley will ever be the same?

I can just imagine how low his crappy gpa would be if he didnt go to a grade inflating crap state school :laugh:

*stirring the flames*

I think an important question to ask when making this decision is what if the frog scientist does leave for Duke. What ramifications will this have on the UC schools? Will UC Berk lose federal funding? I personally forcast a drop in UCSF ranking and a definite dip in the CA economy!

jlee9531 said:
oh...berkeley rules by the way.
we have no $$ :(, but we are the top public univ in the nation.
we can hang with any of the top ivys academically.
our sports program have great upside (football, basketball...)
and most of the profs i had...were awesome.

just saw some berkeley bashing so i had to give props to my school. :)

now...as you were...

Yeah but U of A will always own the bears where it matters. Pac-10 B-Ball!

Go Cats! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
mdmike24 said:

There's a reason why you haven't found my post about why I'm taking a year off because I thought my pathetic 3.7 GPA wasn't good enough to get into med school. The main reason you haven't found that post is because the post doesn't exist... I never even made that post...lol. I never once stated my GPA on these forums nor did I ever state that my GPA wasn't good enough to get into med school. This is something that the warped, twisted, dysfunctional mind of Cerberus concocted by its own self. He was right about one thing...I am taking a year off after undergrad. I will say this though..my gpa is definitely not a 3.7...lol (I know...i know...sucks to be me).

BerkeleyPremed said:
There's a reason why you haven't found my post about why I'm taking a year off because I thought my pathetic 3.7 GPA wasn't good enough to get into med school. The main reason you haven't found that post is because the post doesn't exist... I never even made that post...lol. I never once stated my GPA on these forums nor did I ever state that my GPA wasn't good enough to get into med school. This is something that the warped, twisted, dysfunctional mind of Cerberus concocted by its own self. He was right about one thing...I am taking a year off after undergrad. I will say this though..my gpa is definitely not a 3.7...lol (I know...i know...sucks to be me).

you said it in chat dip****, i dont forget this ****. In fact, thats the first time I realized what a toolbag ****o you were.

Cerberus said:
I think an important question to ask when making this decision is what if the frog scientist does leave for Duke. What ramifications will this have on the UC schools? Will UC Berk lose federal funding? I personally forcast a drop in UCSF ranking and a definite dip in the CA economy!

A more significant question though...why do you exist? Possible answers:
a) You were the just fastest sperm that got to your mother's egg first. You won the sperm race...since then, you have yet to win anything in anything.
b) You are the first step in dysevolution...you're the first human that will set back evolution and return homo sapiens to a more primative, ape-like form.
c) You exist just to take up volume in space that could be better occupied by a more productive member of society.

BerkeleyPremed said:
a) You were the just fastest sperm that got to your mother's egg first. You won the sperm race...since then, you have yet to win anything in anything.
b) You are the first step in dysevolution...you're the first human that will set back evolution and return homo sapiens to a more primative, ape-like form.
c) You exist just to take up volume in space that could be better occupied by a more productive member of society.

To quote the late great Bill Hicks, "you should have been a blowjob".

Cerberus said:

According to this post..you said that other posters would find a POST where I mentioned my GPA and said it wasn't good enough to get into med school. NOW, you're saying that I made that comment in chat. Which is it going to be? LOL...Nice attempt at lying idiot. You're too stupid to even lie correctly. Please...just stop posting...you're just making yourself look stupid.

BerkeleyPremed said:

btw, we need to work on those insults buddy - you usually just come off as a half crazed psycho.

BerkeleyPremed said:
According to this post..you said that other posters would find a POST where I mentioned my GPA and said it wasn't good enough to get into med school. NOW, you're saying that I made that comment in chat. Which is it going to be? LOL...Nice attempt at lying idiot. You're too stupid to even lie correctly. Please...just stop posting...you're just making yourself look stupid.

Look, even if I was lying (which i am not), who do you think people would believe? Me or some troll that if obviously contending for worlds biggest douchebag award? Seriously man, your stuff is too good to make up.

scrappydawg said:
Yeah but U of A will always own the bears where it matters. Pac-10 B-Ball!

Go Cats! :smuggrin:

lol. Too bad no one gives a fock.

Cerberus said:
btw, we need to work on those insults buddy - you usually just come off as a half crazed psycho.

I'm the psycho? lol...what? You're the one who stalks me on these forums...you look at the threads I post in and then just post in the threads to bash me and call me a douchebag. You follow me around on these forums...take every opportunity you can to bash me...and then you call ME a psycho? You're basically the John Wayne Gacy of our generation...stalking young men on-line.

Reading your posts is basically like watching Darwinism in action.

BerkeleyPremed said:
I'm the psycho? lol...what? You're the one who stalks me on these forums...you look at the threads I post in and then just post in the threads to bash me and call me a douchebag. You follow me around on these forums...take every opportunity you can to bash me...and then you call ME a psycho? You're basically the John Wayne Gacy of our generation...stalking young men on-line.

Reading your posts is basically like watching Darwinism in action.

I think I'll be up at Berkeley this weekend for a tournament. You doing anything?

hamhamfan said:
I think I'll be up at Berkeley this weekend for a tournament. You doing anything?

Tournament in what? I might have some free time this weekend...depends on when my roommate wants to move into our new apartment. Feel free to PM me if you want to chill.

I swear I can just picture BerkeleyPremed frothing at the mouth screaming and cackling at the computer screen... alone, unbathed, naked and shaking (from weeks and weeks of not taking a bowl movement...).

1) Do a search of BerkeleyPremed and "blithering" - 16 hits

2) "Rhodes" Scholar - 9 hits

3) "idiot" - 20 hits

4) "idiocy" - 10 hits

I don't know what's worse, his repetitive writing or his bad logic. I agree with Gleevec, it's like arguing with a wall.... only dumber .

Peterock said:
I swear I can just picture BerkeleyPremed frothing at the mouth screaming and cackling at the computer screen... alone, unbathed and shaking (from weeks and weeks of not taking a bowl movement...).

1) Do a search of BerkeleyPremed and "blithering" - 16 hits

2) "Rhodes" Scholar - 9 hits

3) "idiot" - 20 hits

4) "idiocy" - 10 hits

I don't know what's worse, his repetitive writing or his bad logic. I agree with Gleevec, it's like arguing with a wall.... only dumber .

LOL. This post takes the cake. Yes, I'm currently sitting in my chair shivering, naked, sweating, and frantically typing in front of my computer screen. I have Kleenex on hand to wipe the wods of spit from my mouth (I am frothing at mouth) and I can't remember the last time I took a shower...2 ..maybe 3 months ago?

Turning off the "Mocking PeteCock" mode: I can picture PeteRock sitting in front of his computer using his right hand to put some stolen produce from Kroeger's in his mouth and using his left hand to wash down the stolen food with a nice glass of MinuteMaid orange juice (which was also stolen from the nearest Kroeger's or **insert national grocery store chain here**). Anyone reading this would probably think, "What the hell are you talking about?" Well, as it turns out folks....PeteRock used to STEAL food from some grocery store that he worked at...and he also told another SDNer to go ahead and steal in order to make ends meet. Don't believe me...he told the whole SDN community about his illegal exploits in this thread (the thread is called "Don't Take a Simple Life for Granted):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=105208&page=1&pp=20

Now it finally dawned on me as to WHY PeteRock is so proud of being a Duke grad. It's because he literally had to starve himself and resort to stealing food and doing other illegal activities in order to pay for his Duke degree. He also advised a UCLA student to do the same. Just check the thread I posted to read exactly what he said.

Personally, I think someone who willingly resorted to stealing and doing God knows what other illegal activities just to get themselves a "prestigious" degree is a bit insane. In one of the 8743289 pieces of hatemail that PeteRock sent to my PM box..he talked about how he could've gone to any public university in the country (he disparaged all public universities...including Berkeley) and how he turned down Stanford, Yale, and Pomona to go to Duke. What disturbs me is that he willingly sacrificed his own health and well being (starving isn't exactly good for you) and was willing to commit various crimes JUST to get a Duke degree. He could've just as easily gone to a good public school (UNC-Chapel Hill or UVA) and had plenty of money to afford food, housing, tuition, etc. The aforementioned schools do not cost $30,000+/year like Duke does. He just chose not to apply to/attend these schools because he's too good for a public university (he stated this quite frankly in one of his hatemails that he sent to me via PM). If that doesn't scream "clinically insane"...I have no clue what does. Would you choose Duke over **insert public university here** if it meant you had to starve, steal from a grocery store, and commit other "illegal" activities just to put food in your mouth?

Before anyone tries to slam me with, "OMG!!! How dare you try to make fun of poor people!!!! You dingus!!!" ..I'm going to say it nice and slowly...I'm N-O-T making fun of poor people at all. I'm just questioning someone's judgment and pointing out that someone on this forum definitely doesn't fit the bill as "sane" by current societal norms. NOWHERE in this post do I bash/make fun of people of low socioeconomic status at all. All I'm doing is pointing out that PeteRock is a disturbed individual..as is evident by the 328474398 pieces of hatemail he's sent to my PM box and how he rationalizes committing various crimes. Society (not me...s-o-c-i-e-t-y) has already deemed that being poor is not an excuse for committing a crime. Someone of low income cannot walk into a grocery store and steal X, Y, and Z items..and get away with it...a judge in court is not allowed to say, "It's ok that you stole Mr. PeteRock...if you can't afford item X...it's ok for you to steal it." Again, those rules were determined by our society...not by BerkeleyPremed...I'm just humbly pointing them out.

Someone needs a time-out...

elias514 said:
No I'm not. I don't want to be around EXTREME versions of bright, hardworking people who want to achieve their goals.

Being surrounded by EXTREME people does not mean that you have to become extreme yourself......hopefully being an adult you should be able to make informed decision about what path your life should take. I agree with you that Columbia might be more "numbers" oriented than other med schools...their ridiculous MCAT and GPA stats should be a good reflection of that. However, being an extremely chill individual, if I decide to attend Columbia, i doubt that I would make a 180 degree change so as to adapt to the style of my somewhat educationally intense classmates. Men, life would be a drag if all bright people were bores :cool:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113800

In addition, my life just sucks huge ass so I can't really see it improving by a med school admission. I mean...my life REALLY sucks so I doubt any med school would take me simply because nothing turns out for me. ~BerkeleyPremed

Deep down in that trollish exterior, beneath the warts, whines, and irritable bowls exists a sad child who is constantly unhappy. I'm sorry you're so bitter.

My roommate did the "other" illegal activities you speak of (please reread the sentence). I simply took 'samiches and fruit from the store I worked at, the manager was quite aware and turned a blind eye to me.

My response to you is what an adcom said to me during a rather tough interview: "For most of us, we have had hard times.. but they are brief and we go on with our lives. But for you... I think your life has been very very difficult... and for a very long time. I can't imagine what drives you, I can only respect it."

If I was normal I would have given up long ago. I am simply driven and you are simply in the way.

BerkeleyPremed said:
Tournament in what? I might have some free time this weekend...depends on when my roommate wants to move into our new apartment. Feel free to PM me if you want to chill.

Don't believe him! He stood me up, he'll do the same to you!! :(

BerkeleyPremed said:
Please explain how I'm a troll. Given that I've posted links in this thread that support the statements I've made...and I'm just giving my opinion on the two schools in question...? How does that make me a troll? Personally, I don't care if you're irritated that I'm posting this "gobbledeeguk" (aka...facts supported by the link I posted and info I posted from US News).

If you're going to try to refute some of the arguments I've made about UCSF or Columbia..fine..go right ahead. But if you're just going to come here and post this nonsense about me being a "troll" and annoying you with "gobbledeeguk"...umm..you're just wasting the time of the poor folks reading this thread. You made absolutely no point whatsoever by including my comments in your post...why you even brought me up in your post is absolutely beyond me. Overall..your post was pretty worthless to the OP.

Yeah "fight club" definetely had the same effect on me. But seriously, bro you got to chill out. You really offer a lot of helpful advice and some of your points are pretty valid...but for some reason you just come across as a very angry person :idea:

supereagles said:
You really offer a lot of helpful advice and some of your points are pretty valid...

Bwahahahaha, that's the funniest thing posted in this thread so far. :laugh: There's good reason the poster in question was really, really far down on the karma ladder when the system was in effect.

TheFlash said:
Bwahahahaha, that's the funniest thing posted in this thread so far. :laugh: There's good reason the poster in question was really, really far down on the karma ladder when the system was in effect.

There are some posters who piss off some of the SDN regulars, and then there are some posters like BerkeleyPremed who piss off ALL the SDN regulars. Its like the Triple Crown... of Trolling. It really takes a lot to be so socially inept and arrogant as to piss off so many different SDN posters, its definitely some kind of record.

Peterock said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113800

Deep down in that trollish exterior, beneath the warts, whines, and irritable bowls exists a sad child who is constantly unhappy. I'm sorry you're so bitter.

My roommate did the "other" illegal activities you speak of (please reread the sentence). I simply took 'samiches and fruit from the store I worked at, the manager was quite aware and turned a blind eye to me.

My response to you is what an adcom said to me during a rather tough interview: "For most of us, we have had hard times.. but they are brief and we go on with our lives. But for you... I think your life has been very very difficult... and for a very long time. I can't imagine what drives you, I can only respect it."

If I was normal I would have given up long ago. I am simply driven and you are simply in the way.

lol. You chose a great quote. That quote basically epitomizes my outlook on life...I freely admit it...I'm VERY MUCH the cynic. I do NOT walk into anything expecting it to work out in my favor. I walk into any new endeavor and expect the worst possible outcome for myself...then work as hard as I can to avert that outcome. I walked into O-chem last semester and expected to fail...I worked myself to the bone and did quite well in the course (better than the vast majority of my peers in the class...I won't post the grade I received because it'll just be more flamebait). When I started my campus organization last year...I expected it to fail miserably...I worked myself to the bone and thankfully...we're doing quite well...we have a healthy campus membership, we earned ASUC sponsorship (student government endorsement), and we've been successful in plenty of outreach activities.

Like with anything else I do...I'm EXPECTING the worst possible outcome for myself in the med school admissions process. That outcome being that I don't get in anywhere and just degenerate into a worthless human being (like PeteRockDuke). As I said in my quote...I think the process is VERY random and I've always thought I've had the worst luck...thus, I'm assuming I won't get in. But I will work myself to the bone and throw the dice out there and see what happens. That's just my approach to life.

To PeteRock: How's that stolen sandwich taste?

I'll quote the best stand up comedian of our time (George Carlin): "If you ever see the light at the end of the tunnel...it's probably the light of an ONCOMING TRAIN."<---basically summarizes my view on life :)

supereagles said:
Being surrounded by EXTREME people does not mean that you have to become extreme yourself......hopefully being an adult you should be able to make informed decision about what path your life should take. I agree with you that Columbia might be more "numbers" oriented than other med schools...their ridiculous MCAT and GPA stats should be a good reflection of that. However, being an extremely chill individual, if I decide to attend Columbia, i doubt that I would make a 180 degree change so as to adapt to the style of my somewhat educationally intense classmates. Men, life would be a drag if all bright people were bores :cool:

Very true. But I hope that Columbia doesn't grade on a curve!

elias514 said:
Very true. But I hope that Columbia doesn't grade on a curve!

Good question, does anyone know the answer to this..also how often do first year students get tested? I happen to be facing the same decision as the OP and any INFORMED info would be appreciated.

for the preclinical years, columbia's p/f the first year and h/p/f the second. so at least in your first year, you won't have to worry about a curve. i'm not sure how often students get tested.

UCSF has tests every three weeks. the students say they play the first week, catch up on the second week, and study their butts off during the third week.

Columbia has tests every six weeks. More responsibility on the student in terms of staying abreast of material. And test-time seems sorta hellish. On the flip-side, I remember hearing some first years say that they just took off for three weeks at the beginning of one of their blocks to go to Aruba or Mexico or something like that.

as mdmike said, columbia's p/f first year, h/p/f second year. ucsf is p/f during both years.

BerkeleyPreMed,

I don't mean to interupt your studying of frog physiology, but when you finally decide to step it up to the human domain, be sure to email me. I'll write you a nice letter of recommendation that will highlight your wit, your intelligence, your ability to detect sarcasm, and your extreme scientific interest in amphibian species. I'll even let Gleevac proof-read it where he can attest to what a pride of the education system you really are. PeteRock can add a p.s. at the end. And if the letter isn't good enough to get you into med school, it'll at least get you into Duke so you pursue your frog research with Dr. Haynes.

Onward and upward you frog you,

MDMike

Another thing I wonder about Columbia is the level of autonomy given to you in your third and fourth. In this I mean responsibility for lab tests, (good scut), encouragement to do procedures such as spinal tap, endoscopies, parts of surgery, and central lines. I hear at some academically high places they don't want to let med students do much, and that's not a good thing.

I know Einstein, U of chicago, and Temple are the opposite, having students as part of the team and having them deeply involved in both patient interaction and procedures. U of C will supposedly page you in the middle of the night at home for patients! (not good for your sleep :) but good for your medical soul).

mdmike24 said:
BerkeleyPreMed,

I don't mean to interupt your studying of frog physiology, but when you finally decide to step it up to the human domain, be sure to email me. I'll write you a nice letter of recommendation that will highlight your wit, your intelligence, your ability to detect sarcasm, and your extreme scientific interest in amphibian species. I'll even let Gleevac proof-read it where he can attest to what a pride of the education system you really are. PeteRock can add a p.s. at the end. And if the letter isn't good enough to get you into med school, it'll at least get you into Duke so you pursue your frog research with Dr. Haynes.

MDMike

:laugh: :laugh:

mdmike24 said:
BerkeleyPreMed,

MDMike

lol. Absolutely ridiculous. Well...this post is basically about as worthless as the person who wrote it...actually...ok...fine..I take it back...it's not quite THAT worthless. Well..carry on with whatever it was you were doing before you composed that jumble of words you called you a post. Seriously, you must be one depraved human being.

mdmike24 said:
suck it b*tch. you don't even know me.

That just says it all...doesn't it? So MDMike...do you always fly off the handle and ask for blowjobs from random, anonymous posters on internet messageboards? Or was this just an isolated occurrence? In addition, did you ever get around to kissing and making up with Elias?

Well, now that this thread has degenerated sufficiently, I think it would be realigning for everyone to know that the OP has chose to go to UCSF (gleaned from another thread). Congrats on the excellent school, OP! I wish I too was in Cali next year. :oops:

Ok, let the name-calling and belittling continue... :rolleyes:

BerkeleyPremed said:
That just says it all...doesn't it? So MDMike...do you always fly off the handle and ask for blowjobs from random, anonymous posters on internet messageboards? Or was this just an isolated occurrence? In addition, did you ever get around to kissing and making up with Elias?

yes, berkeleyprefrog, elias and i have made up. thank you for your concern.

frogily yours,

mdmike

c'mon guys, why are you giving BerkeleyPreMed such a hard time? His posts aren't that inflammatory. Give the guy a break. After all, he just might become the future physician of one of your family members. Ya never know.

elias514 said:
c'mon guys, why are you giving BerkeleyPreMed such a hard time? His posts aren't that inflammatory. Give the guy a break. After all, he just might become the future physician of one of your family members. Ya never know.

Uhh, have you read his posts? Take a look at some of the trash he posts. And what are you trying to do, give us all nightmares that one of our loved ones would have his or her life placed in the hands of the both arrogant and incompetent BerkeleyPremed?

I think you could make a horror movie trilogy about that:

1. "BerkeleyPremed Buys and Fellates His Way Into Medical School"

2. "BerkeleyPremed Cheats His Way Through Medical School"

and the scariest of them all:

3. "BerkeleyPremed Is Your Spouse's Doctor"

I've only read a few of his posts on this particular thread. I guess I'll check out some other ones.

Yes, as mentioned above, I decided on UCSF. Thanks for all the informative and *colorful* comments.

marcusab said:
Yes, as mentioned above, I decided on UCSF. Thanks for all the informative and *colorful* comments.

Good Choice Marcusab, I'll see you in class

Why did karma have to go...Gleevac your a stud

I especially love all of BPM's "colorful" wisdom considering that he has yet to apply AND (big assumption here) matriculate to a medical school