Columbia waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats anne

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with Dr. Frantz this morning.

"I'm pessimistic about your chances."

OK. Tough, but OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

How do you guys contact Dr. Frantz? Do you simply call the admissions office and ask to speak with him? I would like to call to express my interest and discuss my chances on the wait list.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

How do you guys contact Dr. Frantz? Do you simply call the admissions office and ask to speak with him? I would like to call to express my interest and discuss my chances on the wait list.

Thanks!

yes.

i just called the office near the end of the day friday and got through to him after about a 5 minute wait. said he liked my chances if there is a little more movement! good luck on the call.

I spoke with Dr. Frantz this morning.

"I'm pessimistic about your chances."

OK. Tough, but OK.

I got pretty much the same message, including "you should probably focus on other schools."

I'm not holding my breath.

anyone else?

I spoke to Dean Frantz on Monday afternoon. He seems very open to calls, by the way. He was very optimistic about my chances, saying I was one of a small group of applicants they were seriously considering. Judging from other posts, it sounds like he is being very honest when you speak to him.

He did say, however, that this year is pretty slow for the waitlist. He said the class is overaccepted right now but that he expects to go to the waitlist this summer. Finally, he mentioned that he is going on a week-long vacation, which I think begins next week, so the waitlist will probably not move until he returns.

Let's hope we all hear good news in about two weeks!

FYI, I heard similar things as SJason:
"under very active consideration," "vacation in Scotland until June 24... some movement after that expected," "slower than expected movement this year."

At least he's honest about our chances.

hi guys. since you applied previously to columbia, would you care to answer a question that many of us applicants of 2008 are wondering about the secondary.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Is this asking if you interupted undergraduate? Does taking years off after graduation cout as interrupted education? Thanks in advance for the help. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Years between high school and undergrad, years off in undergrad, and years after undergrad all count as interruptions in your education. They want to make sure that if you are taking time off, you have a good reason/are doing something productive. A lot of people take a year or two to work in a lab before applying, and would use this type of essay to write about what they've been doing. If you did not go directly from high school to college, skipped a year in college, or are taking this year off, leave this essay blank at your own risk. If you decided to take a year off just to apply to medical school - not a great idea - find something worth mentioning to do (volunteering, research, etc..) asap.

Has anyone heard anything from Dean Frantz or spoke to him? I know he's supposed to be back in the office from his vacation this week. I hope there will be some more movement soon!