Columbia waitlisters: second interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue990

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the waitlist for Columbia gotten a second interview with Dean Frantz? I didn't interview with him originally but today I got a letter in the mail saying that he "cannot schedule any additional interviews at this time." The letter is dated March 18th. Anything I can do? Should I abandon all hope?

man, this sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

I called the office on the phone and Dr. Frantz told me the same thing: He's booked up for now, but maybe in the future it's possible.

I'm guessing maybe too many people are requesting for this...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's certainly not good news. I was under the impression that almost everyone that comes off the waitlist has a second interview. Ah well, time to scratch this school off my list. On to bigger and better things. :cool:

Originally posted by TheFlash
Well that's certainly not good news. I was under the impression that almost everyone that comes off the waitlist has a second interview. Ah well, time to scratch this school off my list. On to bigger and better things. :cool:

Just keep on sending letters of interest, and make occasional phone calls...I believe that by reading last year's thread, some people did a little of each and still got in. I think the second interview helps, but look at it this way: It can help or hurt you. If Dr. Frantz ended up not liking you in the interview, you're better off without a second interview.

I agree with CalBee. By the way, you get that impression (that the majority of acceptances off the waitlist comes from second interviews) because of SDN, but I know for a fact that not everybody who gets in off the waitlist second interviewed. A lot of people don't know about this possibility at all and are just great applicants who are on his mind, or happen to call at the right time or write a particularly good letter. Best of luck, IntlMD.

i wonder how many people are waitlisted, remain on the waitlist, and send loi's. cause if frantz really does require an loi to let you in and they let 50 or so a year, it seems that if you push like mad you've got a pretty decent shot of making it. well, assuming that they don't waitlist everyone and only like 300 or so.

IntlMD07 said:
I agree with CalBee. By the way, you get that impression (that the majority of acceptances off the waitlist comes from second interviews) because of SDN, but I know for a fact that not everybody who gets in off the waitlist second interviewed. A lot of people don't know about this possibility at all and are just great applicants who are on his mind, or happen to call at the right time or write a particularly good letter. Best of luck, IntlMD.

hey IntlMD07 i PM'd you a while back--are you around? i'd appreciate any 2nd interview advice as well as neighborhood info (if all goes well with Frantz ;))

thanks!
noami