Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikachu

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rumor on the trail has it that Columbia lacks CT planning and IMRT, and is losing its chairman. Can anyone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

pikachu said:
Rumor on the trail has it that Columbia lacks CT planning and IMRT, and is losing its chairman. Can anyone confirm this?

Chairman stepping down but stays there.
Not sure why they do not want to keep him.
When a program does not have a Chairman look elsewhere.

Radonc90

Radonc90 said:
Chairman stepping down but stays there.
Not sure why they do not want to keep him.
When a program does not have a Chairman look elsewhere.

Radonc90
well hang on; a couple of things. You dont know who's choice it was; he may be stepping down because he wants to; also, in a world where you can pick and choose your advice to look elsewhere is fair enough. But most people can't.Its something to keep in mind to be sure. but you must weight the benefits and risks.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about the treatment planning equipment? Is this a huge disadvantage if the place doesn't have CT planning?

pikachu said:
what about the treatment planning equipment? Is this a huge disadvantage if the place doesn't have CT planning?

Columbia has both CT planning and IMRT capability.

Having matched in rad onc at Columbia and been through this process, I offer this bit of advice for what its worth: question every rumor you hear, and believe only what you see.

Thanks for the correction about the planning equipment at Columbia. It did seem a little farfetched. Can you tell me anything else about the program?

On an interesting note I heard this disinformation from another applicant I met on the trail and I can only wonder why this person is giving out such wrong information about Columbia. I'm not surprised that this type of thing is going on but I have to say I am disappointed.

medgator said:
I heard those same rumors on the trail too.... but I had heard that the chairman of radiology was filling as chairman of the rad onc dept.
Be very wary of rumors. And be wary of the people who peddle them. But to answer the question, yes, a place without CT planning is way behind the times. You can't do good prostate, lung etc planning in the current era without it. IMRT still isn't fully on board but by the end of your training Id expect every place to have some capacity.

To clarify, what i heard was that they didn't have a CT sim. I guess it's more of an inconvenience issue with patients and transporting them between the conventional sim and the CT scanner. I am quite sure they would have CT planning.... pretty standard nowadays I think?

not having a ct sim nowadays is pretty awkward. but yes ct planning is standard now for most primaries.