Combat Casualty Care Course (C4) Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*********UPDATE *******

THINGS HAVE IMPROVED!!!! Look below for Turkish's detailed recent experience at the new and improved C4. Thanks again to turkish for updating our info! and feel free to add your own experiences after you go as well

*********UPDATE *******

This is GeoLeo and my experience at C4. Take it for what it's worth. (and big thanks for GeoLeo for putting this together)

C4 is a lot like the field experience at OBC. Remember that one hardball road we weren't supposed to cross at OBC? That's because the C4 training area is on the other side. The schedule is pretty stiff:

Thursday arrive in San Antonio, buses take you to Camp Bullis. You have a short registration/inprocessing, change into your uniform, and then a few hours of mind-numbing lectures. There are several buses that leave for Bullis-- if you arrive early, don't take the very next bus-- get some airport restaraunt food before you go. :)

We had 3 platoons each with 3 squads of 10-12, about 100 total. The best part was the platoon leaders - usually the highest ranking students are reservists, so they have no idea about D&C. My (GeoLeo) platoon leader's invocation to march was "Go ahead now, you guys". My (homunculus)platoon leader was a Coast Guard Dentist. Obviously you're going to have a fun time when it comes to the "admin" aspect of C4, but as long as you go with the flow, you'll be fine.

Despite what the literature from DMRTI says you can take your cell phone and use it at Camp Bullis and Ft. Sam. You are not supposed to bring them to the field, but even some people brought them there. The only carrier with good coverage out at Camp Bullis seemed to be Verizon. I (homunculus) have Cingular and it worked reasonably well. Especially if you got a signal for a short bit and sent out text messages so you weren't talking *too* much on the phone.

Friday-Sunday is a mix of being bussed to Ft. Sam for ATLS and coming back to Camp Bullis for more of the boring lectures. Stay awake! Reveille is usually sometime between 5 and 6. I think that it was 0430 one day. These days you are eating breakfast at the mess hall at Camp Bullis (not that bad really) and can either take an MRE (you buy them Friday evening/saturday monring) or can go snag something at Ft. Sam (usually there is very limited time). At Ft. Sam you are back in those little classrooms where we were for OBC.

ATLS is really quite simple. There are no drugs to memorize dosages on, no EKG's to enterpret, and no physiologic derangements to worry about. It's all ABC, ABC, ABC. They use some "state of the art" mannequins (which are actually fairly nice) to simulate chest tubes, DPL's, cut downs, and central lines in addition the the regular fakeys they use for intubations. The written test is fairly straightforward, and the practical, depending on the instructor, is easy once you get hte practice scenarios down. I actually enjoyed it. (but i;m not sure that the pathologist thought of it, lol)

There is a small shoppette where you can pick up extra field gear, some pogey-bait, booze (good for the last day) or whatever else strikes your fancy. So if you forget something you;re not *completely* out of luck.

Sunday evening (or thereabouts) you are issued your stuff for the field portion - Kevlar helmet and vest, LBE, poncho and liner, nug (fake M16), ruck, and of course, MOPP gear and gas mask.

You would do well to familiarize yourself with assembling and putting on the gas mask. Put the spider strap (tab goes down) and the hood on the mask before you leave for the field. This wasn't relayed to us and there were a few unprepared people. Snug up the spider strap on the top and sides, but leave a little slack on the bottom straps - that way you can put it on quickly. FInd someone in your squad who remembers how to pack the mask into its case for easiest access. There's a trick to rolling the SOB up, lol.

Before leaving for the field you pack up what you aren't taking to the field in a large shipping container that they lock.

They then load you up in a deuce and a half and ship you out to the training area. BE PREPARED - once we all got there and formed up in the formation area they steathily dropped some smoke bombs and we had to get into MOPP4 (the whole magilla - mask, jacket, pants, boots, gloves). Keep your eye on HM2 Ortega - he's the sneaky one. Also, unlike OBC they never use real gas, just smoke bombs.

There's some lectures (they call it "death by powerpoint") in the Posey Dome (a quonset hut where they manage to get Powerpoint presentations done - is nothing sacred?) that night.

During one of the lectures, Ortega went around with his mask on, spraying water from a fire extinguisher. It was supposed to be a gas attack - remember don your mask and hood then yell, "Gas!".

The next few days are a series of training exercises - you do the rappel tower again, more land nav - but it's with your whole squad and PI (each squad is assigned a NCO primary instructor). With the land nav you go to points and then there are evac exercises - removing casualties under fire. It's all pretty fun. There's also a NBC lane where you have to suit up in MOPP again.

For MOPP
1. Be calm, you have plenty of time
2. Close eyes, stop breathing
3. Put on mask and hood (don't snap bottom of hood) in 9 and 15 secs, respectively.
4. Drop all gear
5. Remove MOPP gear from ruck - it helps to keep just your MOPP gear in the ruck in the following order (from bottom to top of bag): boots, jacket (with gloves in pockets), pants.
6. Don MOPP gear - pants, then jacket, then boots, then gloves. Remember pants go over boots and then zip down the side cuff zippers, jacket goes over gloves. Button the three buttons in the back of the jacket/pants to snap them together. After all your gear is on, snap the hood on the gas mask.
7. Put all your gear (Kevlars, LBE, ruck) back on again - you have 8 minutes total, plenty of time.

The last day(s) suck - you awaken around 0500 on Wednesday then do land nav all day. There's some lectures in the evening and finally they let you go around 2000. You are supposed to go to sleep, but they wake up at 0100 (with blaring recorded machine gun fire, lotsa yelling, and general "hurry up, hurry up!!" ness) for the "CONOPS" (Continuous Operations) and you have 5 minutes to get fully dressed, pack up your duffel and load it on a truck then get in formation. You then go through three stages of training, each with several rotations. The scenario is that there is an insurgent rebellion in a country you are liberating. The C4 class is the medical battalion. The stages are:

1. Level 1 (Battalion Aid Station) - where you take turns running and securing a BAS or extricating casualties from a battle zone. They use students to be casualties. Avoid being medic (you'll see a theme here), try to be security - it's more fun. There are some dudes hiding up on the hillside. This is fairly straightforward, because anything bigger than a splinter is going to be sent up to the level II.

2. Level 2 (CSH) - where you are now doing similar tasks, but at a larger scale hospital. Avoid being ER doc, traige officer, Evac nurse, CO/XO, these jobs suck and you get reamed. Security, again, is where the action is. Search the EPW's carefully-- they like to hide all kindsa weapons and grenades on themselves. Also remember to take weapons away from *everyone*-- nothing like a disgruntled C4 student taking out your command wby runing thorugh the tent with an M-16. It's bad form.

3. You get to be the fake patient for the other 2 rotations. Obviously the most fun. Get the squirty arterial bleed stuff. Being EPW's is also fun.

It's pretty cool because all the rotations interact. For example a casualty can be picked up on the battlefield, taken to the level 1, then evaced on to the Level 2. You finish around 1800-1900 on Thursday and head back to the hutments for showers.

One more thing - avoid being the RTO - the CINGARS weighs no less than 30 lbs. We both ended up carrying it the entire time. Try to trade it off among your squadmates. The same goes for the medic bag. Another side effect of the CINGARS is that you are often expected to not only radio the MEDEVAC but prepare it as well. They're easy though, and it's a chance to look good. :)

They will likely gas you at the Level 1 and Level 2 during the CONOPS.

Also, just when you think the whole thing is over - there is a final exercise on your way back to the hutments on Thursday night. You are in a convoy and there is a simulated IED/road side attack, where some people are in an ambulance and some in a deuce and a half. The ambulance folks have to evac the casualties while the folks in the deuce.5 have to lay suppressive fire. You then get to a rally point, secure the area, and send a 9-line medevac report.

the next day is outprocessing and "graduation". you should be outta there by 12:00 or so. Find someone with a POV to get you the hell out of there as soon as you can go. And grad some Rudy's on your way out--you'll thank us later.

--if you have any other questions feel free to ask them on this thread

--your friendly neighborhood combat peds caveman and your friendly neighborhood combat pathologist

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really heard anything about when C4 happens for AF docs. Is this an intern year thing during orientation, or does it come later? Thanks for the input.

-Your doesn't know crap about C4 terrified soon to be PGY-1....

Sounds like they livened things up a bit since I went through as a TAC officer. Had a good time when I went: fun squad, and all the docs were great about answering a prospective med-student's questions. One of my docs was a reserve neonatal surgeon with some pretty cool stories about in-utero procedures. Got in on the goat lab too; first time I got to hold a beating heart. Yeah, Rudy's...

Members don't see this ad :)
If at all possible, try to go in the Spring or Fall. Summers are blistering hot and winters can be really cold.

Hook up with some of the local guys/gals in your squad and they can have their friends pick them up for lunch during the ATLS course and take you to lunch so you don't have to eat MRE's during this time. Then you will have extra during the FTX.

Be patient, expect problems. Have fun and this is your chance to be Hoorah! For those of us who are locals, it really sucks to be able to see your home from the top of a hill and not be able to go there.

USAF MD '05 said:
I haven't really heard anything about when C4 happens for AF docs. Is this an intern year thing during orientation, or does it come later? Thanks for the input.

-Your doesn't know crap about C4 terrified soon to be PGY-1....

I went at the end of my 1st year as a USAF doc; it was one of those once in a life time experiences (i am glad I did it, but don't mind if I never do it again unless it is for real). Talk with your admin supervisor when you arrive on station about when/ if they will send you.

USAFdoc said:
I went at the end of my 1st year as a USAF doc; it was one of those once in a life time experiences (i am glad I did it, but don't mind if I never do it again unless it is for real). Talk with your admin supervisor when you arrive on station about when/ if they will send you.

Will do, thanks!

Whee! It's as fun as I remember. Thanks, munc for the post. I hope that it helps, I like to be informed and I coulda used something like this before I went. I would also be happy to answer any questions via PM that you would like to ask but not post.

-- your dear loving combat pathologist :horns:

DeepCowboy said:
Does C4 relate at all to earning the Army EFMB (Expert Field Medical Badge)?

Nope,

The EFMB is pretty darn tough to acheive. I forget the exact numbers, but I think it's not that great of a percentage of people who earn the EFMB on their first try.

My EFMB experience was most definitely the highlight of my Air Force career. I went out with another AF officer (Hosp Admin, I am an Optometrist). We had a great mentor that earned his in Korea (Do not depart the paved surface during the road march along the DMZ. There are landmines.)

If a person is sufficiently gung ho and willing to put in the time to train, the EFMB is an awesome challenge. The hardest part for Docs to overcome is to simply perform what the standards call for, not treating the patient as you have been trained. Do exactly what the cadre teach, and you will pass.

Overall pass rate for our course in Baumholder: 43 out of 280.

Air Force pass rate: 2 out of 2! Take that Army!

BK

How do you get the EFMB? Is it totally optional? Do you just sign up for the course, and if you pass, you get the badge? Does your command have to sponsor you? It says in the regs that HPSP students are eligible to get it, but that seems kind of impossible. How do you train for it?

DeepCowboy said:
How do you get the EFMB? Is it totally optional? Do you just sign up for the course, and if you pass, you get the badge? Does your command have to sponsor you? It says in the regs that HPSP students are eligible to get it, but that seems kind of impossible. How do you train for it?

An Army unit will sponsor an EFMB course, ie First Armor Div in Germany where I tested, or a similar field unit. If you are at a MEDCEN, personnel will be sent for the training/testing if it is close by (Another Germany example, Landstuhl Reg Med Center sent quite a few people to the 1 AD course.) USUHS students may go out for testing if it falls in line with their course (from what I have heard), but it may be more difficult for an HPSP student to get all of the required equipment issued.

EFMB testing is totally voluntary. Of course, if you are a PFC your command can highly encourage you to "volunteer" for some free training. Many of the young privates in our training week were simply there because their unit wanted them there. They really did not want to be there.

Training: google the EFMB website and get the requirements. You need to know how to do the specific tasks step by step. Many of which are Army Common Task Training items.

If you are still in med school, I would not worry about it until you come on active duty. If you are in the Army, you will have plenty of chances to try. The hardest part of earing the EFMB as an AF officer was all of the AF redtape that we had to navigate.

BK

two questions, what eyeware is required for us eye glass people? Second, are desert boots currently permitted with BDU's

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been searching around for FY06 dates for C4, but I don't see any yet, does anyone have the scoop on it?

Much thanks

USAFGMODOC said:
I have been searching around for FY06 dates for C4, but I don't see any yet, does anyone have the scoop on it?

Much thanks

Found the C4 web site and it has all the dates, but, what I was wondering was if ACC or any other commands are specifically "funding" them or are they sponsored another way...

USAFGMODOC said:
Found the C4 web site and it has all the dates, but, what I was wondering was if ACC or any other commands are specifically "funding" them or are they sponsored another way...

Call Mr Moed (210) 221-9143 for all student registration questions.

I was just looking through some volunteer surgical opportunities on operationgivingback.org. The Defense Medical Readiness Institue (DMRI) is who puts on the Triservice C4 course. They are desperately in need of instructors for ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support). Isn't it strange that they need to ask for civilian volunteers to teach?

FliteSurgn said:
I was just looking through some volunteer surgical opportunities on operationgivingback.org. The Defense Medical Readiness Institue (DMRI) is who puts on the Triservice C4 course. They are desperately in need of instructors for ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support). Isn't it strange that they need to ask for civilian volunteers to teach?

There are plenty of instructors, and plenty of people willing to teach the course. It all boils down to the lack of funding to pay TDY for people to come to just teach ATLS.

Capt_Mac said:
There are plenty of instructors, and plenty of people willing to teach the course. It all boils down to the lack of funding to pay TDY for people to come to just teach ATLS.

I'm a DMRI ATLS instructor, and as you say, there are lots of us. Funding didn't seem to be the problem as it came from the DMRI/combined training pot o' money, but rather availability, especially in the Navy. Most of our instructors can't get the time off (usually Thursday to Monday) because our commands are too busy or they're deployed.

In a perfect world, I'd teach an ATLS class in San Antonio every other month and take a couple days of leave in Texas. (My family has a house in Hill Country). In 4 years, I've taught a DMRI class once a year and a handful locally, and only gotten that dream deal once.

One of the ATLS directors is a retired Navy surgeon who was my dad's CO a long time ago. He doesn't practice any more, but travels around the country teaching ATLS, pro bono for DMRI. Another one of the faculty bubbas is a PHS type who is a ER dude at Emory.

Trix

Just got back from C4 (first class of this year) and there were some changes. First of all, we were not woken up at 0100 and never did a full CONOPS drill. We also were not ambushed on the way back to the hutments, although supposedly this was planned but not carried out by the staff due to time restrictions. Lastly, we went to a 9mm range and could qualify for a ribbon with army standards.

Anybody headed to C4 this week? Let me know if you'd rather ride out there with me than on a bus, I have room for a couple people.

Here's my recent C4 experience...

In comparison to Homunculus landmark post about C4, it seems the entire course and experience have changed. Things have been restructured, and are much easier in comparison. Gone are the days of endless land navigation, midnight drills, and no showers. Now you can wash clothes, kick back in the afternoons, walk around in civilian clothes after class each day, and talk on cell phones all you want. There is also a shoppette, as he mentioned, open until 1900 each night.

I arrived on Thursday at 1400 in a POV, and was part of the second of three groups that checked in that day. There were a total of 69 students in my class, far fewer than many classes before. Arriving at that time gave me a chance to pick my cot (no real benefit except maybe to pick the one farthest from the main entrance), but you are pre-assigned to a "hutment" (basically a big dog-house with no insulation), and two hutments make a squad. Two squads make a platoon, and there were two platoons, for the total of 69. That broke down to about 9 people per hutment, so it was not too crowded. Upon arrival, I sat through a short introduction, was asked to fill out some contact info in case I got hurt, then was pointed toward my hutment and let go for about an hour. It turns out that the population is about 60% docs, 38% nurses, and a couple of PA's here and there. Most of the nurses are 01's, some are 03's, but the only 04's (there were four of them) were docs who had recently joined the National Guard, I believe. The service breakdown was representative of the military as a whole, with about half Army, 1/4 Air Force, and 1/4 Navy. There was one Coastie family practitioner. Around 1600, after everyone had arrived, we lined up and were issued out sleeping bags, foam pads for the cots, load-bearing vest, rubber M16, kevlar helmet, and MOPP gear/mask. We then promptly all took a nap until formation at 1800, at which time we marched (a "debacle", as our young NCO called it) across the road to a big air conditioned auditorium, where we had a few hours of lectures about combat medicine and so forth. It was decently interesting, but still loaded with the same old CBRNE crap. We quit around 2130 or so, and went to bed. The next morning, we all bought our MRE's and then had breakfast at the dining facility. Breakfast is pretty hardy, and is included in the price of your MRE's (though some people didn't buy the MRE's and were still permitted to eat for free). Friday morning was some more lectures until noon, at which time we shipped out on buses for ATLS at Fort Sam. The nurses stayed behind for their own comparable course, but both groups had class the rest of the day Friday until 2000, Saturday all day from 0700 until 1700, and Sunday from 0700 until you finish the test around 1200. ATLS, as Homunculus mentioned, is very basic. There was only one failure in my group, and let's just say it wasn't because the material was too hard. It's all ABC's, and if you were to fall for their dogma, everyone in any sort of trauma succumbs either to a tension pneumo or a pelvic fracture. In any case, if you can follow basic instructions and are able to memorize by rote something explained in detail to you 30 different times, you won't need to study. I had to rush through the pre-test, as I was working and didn't get it until the day before I left, but that is the only preparation you need to do. They do collect the pre-tests, but the skimming through the book you do to complete it, plus the lectures if you pay attention, and you are set for the test. The book looks pretty complex and is over 300 pages long, but don't let it fool you. A few ground rules- always ship the patient out if that is one of the answers, do not do any imaging if surgery is available (remember this test is written by surgeons), VENTILATION IS THE CAUSE OF ACID-BASE DISTURBANCES IN CHILDREN, AND FLUIDS CORRECT ACID-BASE DISTURBANCES IN ADULTS (those last two are crucial and will appear several times). Don't sweat the test, you can pass it with your eyes closed. Saturday after classes end, you have the rest of the afternoon and evening to do whatever you want, and dinner is free at the dining hall. Also, as I previously stated, there is no requirement to wear PT gear while you are in the main camp, so just take some comfortable sleeping clothes and walk around in that. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I would take at least one set of PTs just in case they crack down, but really nobody cared in the least.

Sunday afternoon is more lectures at the beautiful air conditioned auditorium (the only A/C you get all week, enjoy it), then you are released at around 2100 after a two hour long lecture on bugs and santitation by an 0-6 entymologist (bug doctor). After that, you go back to your hutment and are supposed to pack your sea-bag (big green duffle bag), but I would hold off on that...most people packed all their stuff up and then realized they still had to sleep there that night. Just have your stuff ready to be packed, you have plenty of time the next morning.

Monday morning you wake up at the usual time of 0500 and form up outside your huts. You then load into the backs of trucks (for the love of God get into one without a roof, it is stifling in those things). You take a 10 minute ride to another part of Camp Bullis where there are tents set up for you and 20 of your closest friends. There are about 8 of these big tents, and you combine with the people previously from the hut next door and all sleep in the tent together. Things are a little more crowded, but the sides roll up on the tent and the breeze is really nice through the bug-proof mesh. Monday all day is basically field lectures. When you first get there and unload, you walk over to a metal building called the Posey Dome, but there was only one lecture in there all week. After that, you move from location to location and receive more instruction on how to load patients on Humvees, how to perform various litter carries and manual carries, etc. You are also issued your MOPP boots and gloves, which the keep stored in the camp instead of issuing with the other material for some reason. You knock off Monday around 1700, eat an MRE, and everybody pretty much beds down around 2000. You are required to stay in uniform unless you are in your tent, and in the field environment, that means BDU's, vest, rifle, and helmet at all times. You can take your kevlar helmet off when seated outside, but that's all. At night in the tent, you can still sleep in whatever, and there is no more sleeping with your M16 like you did at OBC (if you are Army). In fact, there is no supervision at all at night, just one guy sleeping at the other end of the camp about 200 yards away, I guess in case the **** hit the fan or something.

Tuesday is more of the same, except you implement some of what you have been taught. You are led around from place to place by your NCO instructor, so there is no land navigation at all, except for a short 20 minute lecture and familiarization, but I guarantee not one single person could have navigated a shopping mall after that lecture. Instead of just a plain litter-carry course, it is now wrapped up in a Tactical Medical Lane, where you have a squad of 8 people- 3 for perimeter security, 4 to carry the litter, and one squad leader. There is also a triage drill, where you go into a small bunker and have to decide which of several patients need treatment, who needs transport, and who can return to the fight. After this, you move to a battlefield extraction scenario, which is a lot of fun. You break your squad down into two teams and have to extract wounded from crashed helicopters while under fire. They use blanks in the rifles, but set off smoke bombs, flash-bang grenades, and so forth to keep your adrenaline pumping. After the extraction, you proceed with the "wounded" down a slope and take cover in the woods while your radio operator calls in a nine-line medevac request. Our radio malfunctioned, so we winged it and did fine. As long as you have some semblance of organization in your squad's behaviour, they give you a good review. Seems like there were a few more lectures given in the shade, but you knock off around 1800 Tuesday and can eat and go to bed right away if you want.

Wednesday you wake up, fold up your cot, and load your duffle bag onto a truck. You keep your rucksack (big heavy backpack) and everything else, but they take your sleeping bag and MOPP gear back to the main camp. You turn in your MOPP boots and gloves, do a few more triage and treatment drills in the main camp (in an airconditioned Air Force hospital tent), then move out and hike up to the top of one of the hills to eat lunch. It's great scenery, and I'll post pictures when I get them. After the nature hike, you move back to camp, clean the place up, and jump on trucks to move back to the main area. There is one more lecture that afternoon, but plenty of time to do some laundry and take a shower. There was also a football game hosted by the instructors when we got back.

Thursday morning you wake up at 0500, eat breakfast, then go over to the auditorium for a couple of short talks on what you learned that week. You fill out a big evaluation on the course, and are realeased back to the camp to turn in your gear. The huts are swept out and the bathrooms cleaned, but you finish all this by about 0930 and have until 1130 to change into civilian clothes, grab a snack from the shoppette. The Navy people go to the range and have to stay an extra day, but everyone else is released at 1130 with your diploma, and the buses get there around that same time to take you to the airport.

So the course has shortened by a couple days and gotten much easier from what I have read of previous experiences. The whole thing is pretty much a cake-walk if you have any sort of out-doorsiness to you, so don't worry about it.

Some things I would take would be some thin but strong rope, a decent pocket knife or multi-tool and definitely a flashlight with a red or blue lens. There was no restrictions per say on the color of your flashlight, but it is definitely bad form to walk around with a big bright white light while in the field.

Anyhow, if you have any questions, either PM me or ask here.

To the forum moderators and Homunculus, given the amount of change to the course, it might be a good idea to combine my post with the first post on this thread, just so people have the latest information without having to search for it.

One more thing- the number for the closest Domino's Pizza is 210-408-5599, and they deliver right to your hutment door, no questions asked. Don't say I never did anything for ya.

Peace.

dude. thanks for the awesome post. i'll edit the first one to read down to yours. sounds like they've improved things a bit :)

--your friendly neighborhood "oldschool" C4 grad caveman

i just got back and turkish pretty much nailed it, so i don't have too much to add except to say...

1) if you're doing ATLS, the last chance to go to the PX before returning from the field may very well be the day you get there. it closes at 1900 on Friday (you return well after that) and at 1800 on Saturday (you'll be cutting it close, we didn't make it), and it's closed on Sunday. if you're so inclined, make sure you buy plenty of non-MRE snacks to last you.

2) the whole course is being reworked; that seemed to make sense because it often seemed like they didn't know what to do with us and they were just passing the time with filler material of no real benefit. they told us about a simulation lab that's supposed to be up by January 2007, and there was a general consensus to add land nav. and repelling back into the curriculum (which i think is a mistake, but they didn't ask me), so don't be surprised if those 2 are back soon.

So I just got back from C4 and I’m attempting to give the whole rundown. This might be long, so save it, and give it a look before you go. I have a big general comments section at the end about what supplies to take and general info about the course.

Thursday: Arrive (change into BDUs in airport USO lounge). Take shuttle to Camp Bullis (no need to take the early shuttle, might as well hang out in the A/C @ the airport). You get there, they have you sign contact info stuff and issue you your gear (ruck sack, sleeping bag, gas mask, etc). Then they assign you to a hutment. Your hutment is basically a long wooden storage shed with cots, a heater, and no insulation. You choose your cot, organize your stuff and meet your fellow C4 attendants.
Then you form up and march to the (air conditioned) auditorium. This is a painful and moderately embarrassing process the first couple of times. You sit through a couple of lectures, buy your MREs (~$60 cash), and eat dinner in the Galley (DFAC). You’re released around 20:00 to shower or hang out. You’re allowed to wear “PT gear” once instruction has ended. PT gear pretty much means any short/T-shirt combo you want.

Friday: Get up at 06:00 and have breakfast at the DFAC. There are a couple of AM lectures in the auditorium (you ALWAYS march to the theater) then you get on a bus and go to Ft. Sam Houston to start ATLS. It’s ~30min bus ride and it gets old. The ATLS course is taught by a variety of docs from all 3 services. Some really know there stuff (trauma surgeons w/ 2 tours to Iraq) and some weren’t really up on their trauma knowledge (ophthalmologist). You stay there until fairly late Friday night – MREs for dinner. By the way, MREs aren’t bad. You’ve just got to learn to mix the ingredients to produce variety.

Saturday: Wake up @ 05:00 DFAC for breakfast. Get on the bus to Ft. Sam and sit through ATLS lectures ALL DAY LONG!! It’s painful, but good training.

Sunday: Wake up @ 0500 DFAC for breakfast and bus to Ft. Sam. You’ll take your ATLS practical and written test (you can retake it the last day if you fail). You‘ll finish around noon and then bus back to Camp Bullis. The afternoon has lectures in the auditorium (with a DFAC dinner break). One of the lectures is by an entomologist and is an amazing lecture.

Monday: Wake up @ 0500, DFAC for breakfast, Take the personnel carriers to the field portion. You’ll have lectures all day on topics ranging from field splinting, to land navigation to searching prisoners. Pretty chill day to let you acclimatize to the heat. When you finish you go to your tent (it has all the folks from your hutment and the one next to it). The bathrooms are port-a-johns. There is no A/C. They have sink stands to wash your hands in and an enclosure where you can change your clothes.

Tuesday: Wake up @ 0600, they bring you hot food. They split you up into 4 groups. One half mans a Navy aid station in the morning and treats wounded patients (both mannequins and other students w/ fake wounds). In the afternoon they switch and man an Army aid station and then become simulated patients for the second group to treat. The other half does a litter obstacle course for half the day and they goes to the tactical simulator for half the day. Tactical simulator= big warehouse made to look like some Iraqi city street. They lead you through it while they set off flashbangs and fire off blanks.

Wednesday: Wake up @ 0400, MRE for breakfast. If you manned the aid stations the first day, then you go to the litter obstacle course and Tactical Simulator the second day. The other groups also switch activities accordingly. You’re all done and on your way back to Camp Bullis by 1600-1630. You get back and you turn in some of your gear. You’re then released to shower, eat, organize, etc.

Thursday: Wake up @ 0600, DFAC for breakfast. Some final critique lectures and hutment clean out. Navy folks that stay and shoot all get moved down to one or two hutments on the end. When I went, Navy shooting was optional, so I didn’t stay and I don’t have an accurate summary for Friday. I’m pretty sure it was just, get up, pack up and go.

General Notes: We kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and us to have some sort of midnight raid or tough long march or something. But it never came. It was planned evolutions during the day, and sleep at night.

The C4 staff was incredible. Most of it is taught by medics and corpsman who have served tours in combat. They handled the dynamic of enlisted teaching officer very well. If you just decide to have fun with activities and enjoy the folks your there with, it will be a good experience.

What to bring:
-2 copies of your orders and any forms that they send you ahead of time. If you don’t have the forms, they have extras (I didn’t bring mine with me).
-2 sets of BDUs (woodland w/ black boots or digital with desert boots), one for the field and one for ATLS.
-Find a headlamp or flashlight w/ a red lens b/c you can’t use white light in the field portion and you have a lot of activities in the morning where it’s still dark. (I got one at Wal Mart for $10)
-A good pocket knife or utility tool was helpful.
-I wore nylon dress socks under my thick black dress/boot socks and I managed to only get one blister with a brand new pair of boots.
-Bring some cards or dominoes or travel chess board or something to do at night. I took a Step 3 book and never cracked it b/c I was playing dominoes instead. There really wasn’t anywhere to read anyway.
-Take plenty of socks and undies, if it would have rained, I would have needed more to keep vital parts dry.
-Take a pack of baby wipes to the field. You can buy these at the shopette after you get there.
-Take shower shoes (gross!!).
-A camelback was nice to have, but not required.
-If it’s winter time you’ll definitely want some warm clothes to go under your BDUs.
-Some snack food (granola bars, trail mix, etc) if you absolutely have to have some. The MREs have plenty of snack food in them too.
-Stool softener/fiber. I didn’t have trouble in this department but a lot of folks did. If you know your gut is temperamental or you have constipation issues, consider getting a fellow intern to hook you up with some docusate or just take fiber.
-Pack whatever you want. You don’t have to carry it around, so you might as well bring it.
-Bring some big Ziploc bags to store ipods, phones, PDAs, etc.

The class is made up of docs, nurses, PAs, and dentists. If a nurse is annoying on the floor, she’s also annoying at C4. It was a pretty even mix of Army, Navy and AF. There was one international student in our class from India, and 2 or 3 Coast guard folks.

Thanks for the update, I just got confirmation I'm going at the end of January so this is perfect timing.

Thanks everyone for the gouge. You've done a lot to calm my @ss down -- I've been worrying that my last 6 months of minimal exercise, even less sunlight, and a steady diet of caffeine and Fritos would leave me a quivering pile of jello at the hell I've been imagining C4 to be.

I'll be sure to take notes on the first class of 2008 and report back when my next block allows.

hey, that was my "landmark" post. it's nice to hear they got rid of that charlie-foxtrot nighttime exercise. what a waste that was. my back still hurts from that radio, too.

When I look at career manager paperwork, it lists this course for me. I'm an Army Reserve PT. Did anybody have a PT in their group? If so, how were they integrated into the course?

Do all three branches go to C4?

Any new changes with C4 in the new year? I'm headed out next week. Thanks!

Hey guys, I just got back from C4. Everything Big Navy Peds Guy said in Nov 2007 mirrors my experience exactly. You will be well treated and while there was plenty of being uncomfortable, nothing was unbearable. The guys who run the show are considerate and professional, and no one got yelled at or did push-ups, etc. We asked some of the enlisted cadre, and they confirmed that everything with any significant potential physical risk has been removed. The most physically demanding thing was the litter obstacle course, which a pasty and flabby intern might huff and puff through, but will make it none-the-less.

Some key tips I wish I had known before I got there:

1) Bring a towel. This is not on the official packing list, and they are NOT provided.

2) If you have a Therma Rest or other thin inflatable camping mattress, bring it. I got a $20 one from Target before leaving, and was the envy of my huttment. We're on cots every night, and I'm certain that I slept better than anyone else. Which brings me to my next tip...

3) bring a pack of ear plugs. Even if no one in your hut snores (not likely), the tents in the field bashed around and made lots of noise in the wind. Those who didn't have earplugs didn't sleep well at all.

4) As far as flashlights are concerned, there's no need to go all out. The only thing you need it for is getting to and from your tent and the bathroom, or getting ready in the morning in the dark. I got away just fine with a $4 red LED key chain that I was able to attach to my dog tag so that it and my tiny swiss army knife were always around my neck when I needed them. This turned out to be better than having a big Gerber and utility flashlight that were too heavy to have at the ready at all times. In any case, please don't be that guy who only brings white light, ruining the rest of the tent's night vision. Red is best.

5) weather tip: even though it was Feb., the temperature ranged from 30 to 80 degrees on any given day. We'd be freezing our asses off all morning, only to be sweating and getting sunburns by the afternoon. Bring layers for under your uniform that you can easily shed or add if it's winter. Long underwear and a polypro top worked for me.

6) weather tip # 2: if its cold overnight, sleep with the clothes you're going to wear the next day in your sleeping bag. This way they're not freezing to put on in the morning. I was SOOO glad someone in my tent suggested this.

7) Pharmacy: you will not get coffee every morning, so I brought caffeine pills, and ended up handing them out to many of my pals. If you're an addict like me, I highly recommend bringing them to help you enjoy the experience. You will probably be stiff after all the gear you'll be hauling around, so I recommend bringing Motrin. Also, everyone in my huttment laughed at me when I advertised that I had colace up for grabs, but three days later I was getting requests...

8) Attitude is everything. I had an INCREDIBLY fun time, but only because I took it all seriously and tried my best. Don't waste your energy being pissy: this is good training that very well may save your life or the lives of others in the future.

Hey guys, I just got back from C4. Everything Big Navy Peds Guy said in Nov 2007 mirrors my experience exactly. You will be well treated and while there was plenty of being uncomfortable, nothing was unbearable. The guys who run the show are considerate and professional, and no one got yelled at or did push-ups, etc. We asked some of the enlisted cadre, and they confirmed that everything with any significant potential physical risk has been removed. The most physically demanding thing was the litter obstacle course, which a pasty and flabby intern might huff and puff through, but will make it none-the-less.

Some key tips I wish I had known before I got there:

1) Bring a towel. This is not on the official packing list, and they are NOT provided.

2) If you have a Therma Rest or other thin inflatable camping mattress, bring it. I got a $20 one from Target before leaving, and was the envy of my huttment. We're on cots every night, and I'm certain that I slept better than anyone else. Which brings me to my next tip...

3) bring a pack of ear plugs. Even if no one in your hut snores (not likely), the tents in the field bashed around and made lots of noise in the wind. Those who didn't have earplugs didn't sleep well at all.

4) As far as flashlights are concerned, there's no need to go all out. The only thing you need it for is getting to and from your tent and the bathroom, or getting ready in the morning in the dark. I got away just fine with a $4 red LED key chain that I was able to attach to my dog tag so that it and my tiny swiss army knife were always around my neck when I needed them. This turned out to be better than having a big Gerber and utility flashlight that were too heavy to have at the ready at all times. In any case, please don't be that guy who only brings white light, ruining the rest of the tent's night vision. Red is best.

5) weather tip: even though it was Feb., the temperature ranged from 30 to 80 degrees on any given day. We'd be freezing our asses off all morning, only to be sweating and getting sunburns by the afternoon. Bring layers for under your uniform that you can easily shed or add if it's winter. Long underwear and a polypro top worked for me.

6) weather tip # 2: if its cold overnight, sleep with the clothes you're going to wear the next day in your sleeping bag. This way they're not freezing to put on in the morning. I was SOOO glad someone in my tent suggested this.

7) Pharmacy: you will not get coffee every morning, so I brought caffeine pills, and ended up handing them out to many of my pals. If you're an addict like me, I highly recommend bringing them to help you enjoy the experience. You will probably be stiff after all the gear you'll be hauling around, so I recommend bringing Motrin. Also, everyone in my huttment laughed at me when I advertised that I had colace up for grabs, but three days later I was getting requests...

8) Attitude is everything. I had an INCREDIBLY fun time, but only because I took it all seriously and tried my best. Don't waste your energy being pissy: this is good training that very well may save your life or the lives of others in the future.

Once again a great time was had by all at C4- but it sounds like the staff were going to make some substantial changes in the downtime over the summer. Whoever goes to that first class in Sept should be aware that it probably will not be exactly the same as described as BigNavy and USUHS2008.

Once again a great time was had by all at C4- but it sounds like the staff were going to make some substantial changes in the downtime over the summer. Whoever goes to that first class in Sept should be aware that it probably will not be exactly the same as described as BigNavy and USUHS2008.

any insight in you what those changes might be?

No, in fact I never read it and I still passed the test just fine. I didn't even GET the book until the first ATLS day. You'll be fine.

I just returned from C4 (late Sept to Oct 2008) and thought I would update this thread's contents.

General Course Design
Day 1 - arrival and check in. I am local therefore I drove there. Arrived at 1330 for the middle of three offered in processing briefs. Others were bussed from the airport. Typical in-processing brief then was assigned equipment (Kevlar helmet, fake M-16, sleeping bag and mat, canteens, Alice pack, Gore tex parka and pants). The staff already predetermines what hutment you will be sleeping in and what squad you are assigned to. The entire student body is divided into two platoons each containing two squads. You do not get to pick who is in your squad. The hutments are co-ed. We had a wide mix of students attending: Army, USAF, Navy, Marines, two Coasties and three international students (Canada and Germany). Make your way to the dining facility for dinner and to buy a box of MRE's for the week - no choice there either. Had some more intro lectures and then turned free for the night. Explained the rules of C4 which can be condensed into the following: no leaving the facility (in your car - which I did anyway), no tobacco, no alcohol (did this every night also - the BX sells it). There is a BX there with food and sundries.
Day 2-4 : you attend a trauma course depending on your profession. Doctors, PA's and dentists get bussed to Ft Sam Houston for ATLS, nurses also for TNCC and everyone else stays at C4 for PHTLS. By Sunday PM who have your card assuming you pass the written and practical exams. Overall the course was good (I took ATLS) and was taught by instructors that are flown in from all over the country. I was pretty impressed. It is death by powerpoint though and you are not guaranteed to get caffeine in the AM so plan accordingly. The ATLS course is held in the AMEDD building on Ft Sam and it has a little Starbucks and shopette and vending machines on the 1st floor, but these were not open on Sat and Sun. After your return to Camp Bullis after the courses for the day you have the rest of the time to yourself.
Days 5-7: field exercises. My particular course was shortchanged in a way. For starters you are supposed to stay in the field in tents from Monday to Wed evening (no electricity, showers, dining facility, shopette etc). Our course did not because the tents were out for servicing. We stayed in our hutments and had access to showers, electricity etc every day. That was pretty sweet. The hutments were overall pretty nice: wooden framed buildings with siding on concrete pads with two doors and several windows. That have no A/C but had large commercial wall fans at one end that moves a lot of air out and two large floor fans to circulate air. The average AM temp was 85-90 for our week and I never felt like the hutments were too hot. PM temp got down to 50-60's and I was always comfortable in the sleeping bag. I tend to be uncomfortable and hot at night but did not find this to be a problem at C4. You get a canvas cot to sleep on, a foam pad to place on it, a sleeping bag and a blanket thing. I brought a Thermarest air mattress and felt like this was a nice addition. Also be sure to bring a pillow (you can bring one from home - you do not have to worry about bringing too much stuff because you only carry it from your car to the hutment, never have to lug it around elsewhere). Be sure to bring earplugs (can hear everyone else snoring, rolling around in the cot, getting up to piss, etc) and consider something to cover your eyes ( street lights on camp shine perfectly through the windows in your eyes). I do not usually sleep well in environments like this and had trouble (as did many others) for the first few nights, so you might consider a sleeping pill if you are like this too. I found that the exercise from being in the field with a little gin at night did the trick for the second half of the course. Rumor was the tents would be back up for the next class so you probably will not get the same luck staying in the hutments for the entire time. The field exercises are a mixture of powerpoints (they have a metal hut out there with electricity) and practical scenarios. You cover alot of material: litter carries, 1 and 2 person carries, POW/detainees, care of the injured from POI (point of injury) to casualty collection points and thru level 1 and 2 facilities, convey operations, weapons training (disassembling and clearing an M-16 and M-9, not firing them though unless you are Navy. They did offer for others to stay the ninth day to shoot with the Navy but no one stayed that I know of). The days in the field are long and hot and busy but I had fun. They have an awesome simulator facility (Tac Simm) where 5-6 of you run through an Iraqi street scene to treat casualties and drag them to a CCP and eventually a level 1. I will stop there as I do not want to give it all away! There is also a sweet level 2 set up there with really advanced manikins to practice with that was the highlight of the field time for me. Wed night you are trucked back to the hutments. Thursday they have some closing lectures, turn in of equip with cleanup of the huts and latrines and they pass out graduation papers. I left by 1000. Others had to wait until 1100 or noon to catch a bus to the airport. Some called a taxi. They have photos, coins, Tshirts etc to buy with C4 insignia on it.

Suggested packing list
pillow
reading material, magazines, playing cards, games etc there is alot of downtime mixed in which can get boring. Me and several others played hold em nightly for cash which was lots of fun. Brought football but we never used it - no good soft place to play. They do allow you to run PT on the base.
flashlight with red or blue or green lens for use during the night and in the sim - I would get the good old army flashlight (l-shaped with all the lenses, green in color) from a BX or surplus store.
motrin, laxative (if you are prone to constipation, lots of MRE's to eat), sleeping pill (see above)
I only brought 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of sneakers and 1 pair of flip flops for the shower but it never rained when I was there
underwear, service specific t-shirts, socks
laundry stuff - free washers/dryers available. You can buy supplies in the BX, I brought a small bottle of detergent
i brought two BDU's
they say you have to wear your service specific PT gear after the duty day is done but many of us wore civvies and no one was talked to as far as I know
towels (not provided)
tolietries including baby wipes for the field
pocket knife plus gerber tool or equivalent
others say to bring 550 cord, I did but never used it, I also did not stay in the field
pens, pencils. I brought note paper to take notes but never really used it. At the end they give you a CD with many of the powerpoints from the course lectures on it
ATLS book (or whatever course you are taking). They mail this to you beforehand. I did not read it nor did I study for the course much and passed with no problems. You learn everything you need to know if you pay attention during the classes.
Playing cards, poker chips were indispensible for me
sunscreen, insect repellant
cell phone (service for the most part sucked on camp bullis, verizon did best. I have AT&T and had to walk around the camp to find a good spot but this was possible. Some brought internet equipped cell phones etc and this was helpful for sports scores etc. some brought laptops and what not to watch movies, I did not. There are electrical outlets in the hutments and they do lock
snacks, drink powder (especially the single packets)etc

Misc Notes
the entire cadre there is enlisted and this was not really a problem, for the most part they were very respectful and cool to work with. As you might expect they are always one or three who seem to relish being "in charge" of officers but overall that was not a problem. All of these people have been deployed as medics or likewise and are very knowledgeable in their instruction. I personally learned a lot from them

For GeoLeo and AFinternest et al. Having served as an ER Ward Master , armored and armored CAV combat medical platoon sergent and Army company grade commander I would like to offer some comments. The C4 course, OBC and others basic schools are a basis of knowledge that you seem to have lost thier real purpose. If you deploy to an high threat AO and experience the reality of an RPG, mortor or small arms attack you might have to use what you "learned" in these "courses". These courses are a train up to reality. If you have been watching the news very for the past few years you might recognise some of the C4 course in action. We lost a good doctor and friend standing in a phone booth in a "safe" zone. The threat factor can find you where ever you are. Your effectiveness and survival is based on your perception of training. When the explosion temporarily deafens you and the next thing you see is a patient being carried to the table and they hand you the leg, arm or hand, your perception of training comes full circle. Keep learning your medical and military profession - good luck and thank you for serving.

I just got back from C4 at the beginning of December. I had an absolute blast. I haven't been to OBC yet, so it was my first real introduction to training Army style. There are an excessive number of Powerpoints, but they provided coffee for most of these sessions. They also tried to make us march, which was embarrassing because there were all these high-speed enlisted guys running around and we looked terrible, but I guess that's just how things are. They had some pretty cool training simulations, and I feel like I learned a lot at the time, but I'm not sure how much I'll remember in a few months. Seems like it would be more helpful immediately prior to deployment.

Things were pretty much as described above. They did force us to buy MREs (which weren't as bad as I was expecting them to be, and you only HAVE to eat them for about two or three meals). Most of the things listed on the packing lists are very good recommendations, and I would definitely go with the knee pads. I got the cheap foam ones that slide into the knee pockets in the Army ACUs, and I managed to get bruises through them. There was something wrong with the tents in the "field", so we got to sleep in the hutments the whole time and didn't need baby wipes or flashlights. They also cancelled the threatened 4mi run, since the temp was predicted to be below 40 degrees and not everyone had long sleeve PT gear. :)

Best advice: have a good attitude. It's the Army, and they're going to make you do some dumb stuff. If that comes as a suprise to you, then you've made a seriously poor life choice. You have to do it, so you might as well have a good attitude about it.

Best advice: have a good attitude. It's the Army, and they're going to make you do some dumb stuff. If that comes as a suprise to you, then you've made a seriously poor life choice. You have to do it, so you might as well have a good attitude about it.

:thumbup:

Wow! Sure HAS changed from the '70s and '80s when I used to instruct at Bullis! Of course, we didn't have the great simulators and electronic dummies to treat, us dumb Grunt/Para/Medics did that.
Had a lot of fun in the Field, with those of you who'd never been closer to the "woods" than the RV park or the KOA campgrounds and the Winnebago!
For those of you thinking about going, there is some great advise in the previous entries on what to take and what to expect.
Thanks for bringing back some great memories to this old FOG!
MSG Ski, Ret.:corny:

A few observations, having just returned from C4:

Weather - it can definitely get hot in southern Texas, but it can also get incredibly COLD. I found myself in 20-degree weather with only PT shorts to wear at the end of the day. The Gore-Tex they issue is a big help, but do yourself a favor and bring some service-appropriate PT pants...either that, or be prepared to wear cammies 24-7.

Gloves - definitely bring some leather work gloves, again in a color appropriate for your service utility uniform. Even if it isn't cold outside, you will find yourself crawling over gravel and hauling litters with heavy patients. Guys, man up and bring some good hand lotion.

Uniform - as stated in the info packet, there is no need for anything but your utility uniforms. They will get dirty, and they might get torn up. If you regularly use your utility uniforms in your workplace, either save one set for the cleaner classroom days or leave a set at home. If your command will issue you stuff from their gear locker, all the better.

Boots - I brought brand new boots to C4 and went home without a single blister. Bring thick socks, double up with dress socks underneath, and use some moleskin prophylaxis over the hotspots that you'll notice on the first day or so. By the end of the week, they were actually really comfortable.

Tents vs. Huts - As of this week, we slept in the hutments (seriously, why are they called "hutments?" What's wrong with "huts?") every night. There was no sleeping out in the field.

Food - I had some of the best barbecue ever from the back of a gas station in San Antonio. Seriously, it was great.

Overall I had a great time. The class isn't perfect, the weather didn't always cooperate, but it was a nice break from my intern year and I felt like I was getting a taste for what separates military medicine from civilian medicine (other than the neverending stuff that gets thrown around this forum).

I completed C4 a few weeks ago and would like to log my CMEs. Besides the 19 hours for ATLS, what CMEs can I claim from C4?
I haven't been able to find this on the DMRTI site.
Thanks for any info,
Joe

I attended the C4 course while an Army Captain back in '81 or '82. Interesting to read what's changed (and hasn't). We never had any surprise gassing that I can remember except once while attacking, company on-line, up a hill with a squad of Marines. Once we had our masks on one of the jarheads got 'hit' and we carried him up the rest of the way with my 4-man stretcher squad. He was, of course, the largest Marine they had (he may have started out at 300 lbs of muscle, but by the time we got to the top of the hill he weighed a ton of lead).

The Marines were a rough and tumble bunch who were entertained every night by a keg of beer (which led to one confrontation with our squad of MPs). We used to say that we wouldn't want them dating our daughters, but there's no one we'd rather have guarding our perimeter. --of course, my daughter ended up dating a Marine when she hit 18 (sigh).

Finished C4 last month.

Overall it was a well run course and a nice escape from the hospital for a while.

Arrive Thursday afternoon and in process (not painful by military standards at all). Bring your orders, in process in uniform. We were issued gear at this point (A bag, body armor, canteens, backpack, wet weather gear, sleeping bag, poncho liner, protective eye wear). FYI the sleeping bags and poncho liners are washed by a dry cleaning service in between classes (a pleasant surprise indeed). Broken down into squads and platoons and assigned "hutments" to sleep in. There is no advantage to arriving early unless you feel compelled to have a lower bunk. You are staying on bunk beds, 12 people to a hut, new twin mattresses covered in plastic. They are air conditioned and I assume heated as well...although there was no need for heating while I was there. The latrines are as previously described, vintage 1940s. There are also port-o-potties around as well for those faint of heart.

For dinner you get a hot meal and can choose to by MREs for the week. You have to buy them by the case. Some people brought their own food and skipped out on the MREs.

I think there may have been a lecture or two that night.

Friday and Saturday. Those taking the ATLS course are bused to Ft. Sam Houston. Hot breakfast each of those days in the DFAC. Friday there are a couple places to buy lunch where the class is at, Saturday everything is closed, but if you are savvy you can get pizza delivered to the group or something as an alternative to MREs.

Sunday morning is the ATLS written test and practical. Bus back to Camp Bullis and then straight out to the field until Wednesday night. The field portion of C4 was well run. The instructors all have deployment experience as medics which is awesome. There is a mix of hands on instruction, lectures, and squad and platoon exercises which were well run. It is comical seeing the doctors attempting to be tactical in the field. It definitely gave me a better perspective overall of what medics have to deal with in their combat rolls and how triage works for mass cal events and such. In the field you sleep in large tents on cots. Probably 30 or so people per tent. No heating, but there is A/C. No showers. Shaving with cold water (unless you bring an electric shaver), port-o-potties for facilities.

Thursday is clean up, gear turn in, etc. Bring knee pads! If you are older than 25 and out of shape, bring ibuprofen as well. Don't forget a flashlight, doesn't need to be "red light." Ear plugs are a must as well. There was far too much snoring. I also recommend a sleeping bag liner, and a thin set of twin sheets for the hutments. I thought the provided packing list was pretty spot on for what was needed.

No one is allowed to leave camp bullis at night, even the day before graduation. There is a shopette and burger king that are right near the hutments. They are open till about 8pm during the week, and till 5 or 6 on the weekends. The shopette has basic field supplies and some minimal army supplies along with lots of snacks and food stuff.