Combination of Clinical, School and Counseling Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooke104

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have come across a few phD programs that are a combination of counseling, clinical and school psychology. I was wondering if completing a program like this would give you the same opportunities as though you had done a purely clinical program (or a counseling, or a school program)? Or would a program like this be looked down on because it wasn't purely clinical (etc.)? Thanks for any information you can give me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I hope not. Clinical psych has very little to do with so called "school psych", and has a much broader and more difficult scope of practice.

Are you referring to programs like the one at UC Santa Barbara? That's the only combined program I am familiar with, but I know that there you must specialize in one of those three fields when you apply. Thus, if you choose the clinical track you complete the same requirements as other clinical programs, and the same with counseling, etc. etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, these programs (at least the ones I am aware of) tend to have a narrower focus. While they allow you to qualify as a clinical psychologist, you are trained in a narrower spectrum. For example, a clinical/school program that I am familiar with allows its graduates to function in the role of a clinical psychologist in schools (administering projectives and such) or do pediatric psych in private practice or a hospital. However, the program focuses on just child psych. You won't be able to switch your practice without a lot of additional training (i.e do gero or health psyc, etc.).

I do not assume this at all, but know it to be true. Clinical psychologists are licensed to practice a full scope of clinical practice, be fulll members on staff at hospitals, discuss medications with physicians, prescribe in some states, admit patients to hospitals independently etc... School psychologists have no scope outside the school setting, are testers primarily, who cannot diagnose, cannot get medical staff privileges anywhere, and have no real authority to direct patient (student) care.:)

I do not assume this at all, but know it to be true. Clinical psychologists are licensed to practice a full scope of clinical practice, be fulll members on staff at hospitals, discuss medications with physicians, prescribe in some states, admit patients to hospitals independently etc... School psychologists have no scope outside the school setting, are testers primarily, who cannot diagnose, cannot get medical staff privileges anywhere, and have no real authority to direct patient (student) care.:)

School psychologists can diagnose conditions affecting school-aged children. They can also act as consultants and develop remediation programs, which are then provided to students who have been diagnosed with learning disabilities (by school psychologists). Their role could be expanded to include treatment of other mental disorders, but unfortunately funding constraints prevent this.

I am doing a dual school and clinical psychology program. Our university provides extensive training in both specializations. We focus on the school psychology side during our Masters. This involves courses in learning disabilities, assessment and diagnosis, developmental psychopathology, and a practicum in a school setting. Our PhD program focuses on the clinical side of things and we have neuropsychology courses, as well as a whole range of other clinical psychology courses.

The only limiting factor is that our program focuses on children and families, so that would be my scope of practice. But there is lots of rewarding work in that field in a variety of settings, including hospitals. So I'm pleased with my choice.

Are you referring to programs like the one at UC Santa Barbara? That's the only combined program I am familiar with, but I know that there you must specialize in one of those three fields when you apply. Thus, if you choose the clinical track you complete the same requirements as other clinical programs, and the same with counseling, etc. etc.

Yes, I am referring to UC Santa Barbara and a program at Utah State University. I really appreciate all of the information/opinions you guys have given me. I am trying to decide between medical school and a PhD program in psych, although I started off pre-vet (which I'm almost sure I don't want to do anymore). Researching PhD programs is a lot more difficult than researching med schools. I feel like my head is spinning! It also doesn't help that I'm not really sure what I would want to do with my PhD once I get out. It seems like Clinical Psych programs offer you a lot of flexibility in what you can do once you get out, as far as practicing with children/adults and forensic psych (etc). At least that's my impression right now! Thanks again for any advice you can give me!