Combine the HPSP and FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my mil residency as part of the HPSP program and I was wondering if you can tack on the FAP program and have them extend your contract.

Members don't see this ad.

Concurrently, while in residency? No, because you'd be double dipping. But the FAP can be used during a deferred fellowship. I believe, in the past few years (this is word of mouth, nothing more) the Navy has been offering a lot more deferred fellowships- as opposed to FTOS/sponsored-and encouraging people to take the FAP while deferred (which makes a lot of financial sense for the Navy as a whole).

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

The answer is yes, but it depends.

How are you going about your residency? I don't know if the terminology applies to the Army and Air Force, but in the Navy there are two after HPSP civilian residency options; NADDS and FTOS. FTOS is military funded civilian residency while on active duty, and accrues obligation. NADDS (aka deferment, what I did) isn't funded and doesn't accrue obligation. While in NADDS you can take FAP. I know of one regular poster on here who did just that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is yes, but it depends.

How are you going about your residency? I don't know if the terminology applies to the Army and Air Force, but in the Navy there are two after HPSP civilian residency options; NADDS and FTOS. FTOS is military funded civilian residency while on active duty, and accrues obligation. NADDS (aka deferment, what I did) isn't funded and doesn't accrue obligation. While in NADDS you can take FAP. I know of one regular poster on here who did just that.

Full Time Outservice (FTOS)=Ciivilian Sponsored in the Army/AF. I took the OP to mean that his residency is "in house" (FTIS) and thus he'd not be eligible for FAP while in residency; but you are correct that if he were deferred for residency, then FAP would be an option.

General rambling: For fellowship, the reason why FAP may suck compared to being sponsored is that (IIRC) FAP incurs a two-year obligation for the first year in the program and then each year is the same time obligation (ADSO, 6 months to 6 months). You get a stipend, pay for a 2 week ADT, and a yearly "bonus", but not having crunched the numbers, I don't know if that would come near to pay as a O-3 with at least three years in, VSP, +board cert pay (when passed), + at least 20K/year in ASP. Plus there is the loss of most time toward retirement, should that be a point that an individual gets to. For residency, the thought process changes since FAP can help with finances while allowing for possibly better, more flexible civilian residency training and the pay (civ residency + FAP pays) probably compares favorably to an active duty resident (FTIS/FTOS), though since most residents across the country survive on just residents' salaries, it may not be worth stretching a 4 year ADSO into a 7 year ADSO if one is deferred.

The FAP + NADDS option isn't a good choice, generally. Residency is lost time towards retirement with a pretty hefty obligation. If given the option coming out of HPSP, FTOS is a better choice, in my opinion. FAP is really for someone who wants to have their residency lined up before they commit to serve.

I'm doing my mil residency as part of the HPSP program and I was wondering if you can tack on the FAP program and have them extend your contract.

If you are on active duty........no FAP.