Combined B.A./M.D. programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fish3715, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member

Hello, I'm new here.

Anyway, I not exactly pre-med...more like pre-college. Therefore, I was wondering do you guys recommend the 7-8 year programs that guarantees med. school admission (i.e. HMPE at Northwestern, Rochester's early medical scholars program, even UIC's program)? Also, what colleges offer these programs? I get the impression that what med. school you go to isn't as important as whether you get in or not.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exigente chica

I think Brown, mann..my mind just went blank..do a search for this I am sure there is one..I will be back when I find it.

4. VAPman

VAPman Junior Member

I'm not going to recommend either way. The programs give you a little safety net so that you don't have to worry as much about getting into med school while in college, which is good. Although this safety net may make you study less and get bad habits before med school. Most programs allow you to still apply to other med schools while in the program.

A good number of schools have these programs. Most if not all are listed in the AMCAS book Medical School Requirements which you could probably find at your library.

Anyway, here's a bunch that I can think of off the top of my head:

George Washington
    Northwestern
    Brown
    Boston U
    Virginia Commonwealth
    Case Western Reserve
    U Rochester

5. VAPman

VAPman Junior Member

sorry AAMC not AMCAS

6. gower

gower 1K Member

Get yourself a copy of MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS (MSAR), a publication of the Association of American Medical Colleges.

Chapter 10 will accurately answer your question.

I haven't looked, but perhaps you can get more information from the AAMC website. Try www.aamc.org

AAMC sells copies at $25 + 5$ shipping. AAMC, Section for Publication Orders, 2450 N Street, Northwest, Washington DC 20037.

Phone: 202 828 0416

FAX: 202 828 1123

The rest of the information in the MSAR will also be very useful to you.

7. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

u should do a search for "ba/md programs"

its been discussed often here

8. gold&black2005

gold&black2005 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They're useful, if nothing else. I'm doin Virginia Commonwealth's one, so, it's a nice safety net. GPA requirement is high, but no MCATs are often a nice perk. VCU is an 8 year program, btw. 7 years I hear good things about. 6 years...:eek:

9. keptium

keptium Member

I'm in the B.A./M.D. program at UIC. Being in this type of program has its good points and bad. Good because I can apply out to better school but still have a safety net. Bad because being already accepted into medical school can make you pretty lazy durring your college years. :) UIC's program is pretty good...with lots of support..but the competition on getting in is becoming stiffer....now the avg entering ACT score is 34!!..and you have to be an IL resident too.

10. kito

kito Big Evil

nyu has one too