1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Combined cardio and Im programs?

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by blaze1306, Dec 8, 2005.

1. blaze1306

blaze1306 "I have a Dream....."
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there such a thing as a linked internal medicine residency and a 3 year cardiology feloowship?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There used to be a way to combine the two, and save a year. As I remember it, you would switch to the fellowship after two years of IM, but it's at the discretion of the program(s), and I believe both are done at the same institution.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are research-oriented programs. I believe the one at my University is 2 years IM, 2 years cards, 3 years research, for a total of 1 additional year vs. straight IM then straight cards.

5. sdnetrocks

sdnetrocks Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So there is no such thing as a 5-year IM-cards program geared at churning out clinicians?

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard rumors that such programs exist or existed, but I don't have any concrete knowledge of them. That prorams that I have heard of tend to be research-focused and are 2+2+2 where the final two years spent doing research, and my university's program is 2+2+3. I'm clearly not an expert in this - does anybody else have info on this?