1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Combined cardio and Im programs?

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by blaze1306, Dec 8, 2005.

1. blaze1306

blaze1306 "I have a Dream....."
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there such a thing as a linked internal medicine residency and a 3 year cardiology feloowship?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There used to be a way to combine the two, and save a year. As I remember it, you would switch to the fellowship after two years of IM, but it's at the discretion of the program(s), and I believe both are done at the same institution.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are research-oriented programs. I believe the one at my University is 2 years IM, 2 years cards, 3 years research, for a total of 1 additional year vs. straight IM then straight cards.

5. sdnetrocks

sdnetrocks Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So there is no such thing as a 5-year IM-cards program geared at churning out clinicians?

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard rumors that such programs exist or existed, but I don't have any concrete knowledge of them. That prorams that I have heard of tend to be research-focused and are 2+2+2 where the final two years spent doing research, and my university's program is 2+2+3. I'm clearly not an expert in this - does anybody else have info on this?