Combined cardio and Im programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a linked internal medicine residency and a 3 year cardiology feloowship?

Members don't see this ad.

blaze1306 said:
Is there such a thing as a linked internal medicine residency and a 3 year cardiology feloowship?

There used to be a way to combine the two, and save a year. As I remember it, you would switch to the fellowship after two years of IM, but it's at the discretion of the program(s), and I believe both are done at the same institution.

There are research-oriented programs. I believe the one at my University is 2 years IM, 2 years cards, 3 years research, for a total of 1 additional year vs. straight IM then straight cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcadet said:
There are research-oriented programs. I believe the one at my University is 2 years IM, 2 years cards, 3 years research, for a total of 1 additional year vs. straight IM then straight cards.

So there is no such thing as a 5-year IM-cards program geared at churning out clinicians?

sdnetrocks said:
So there is no such thing as a 5-year IM-cards program geared at churning out clinicians?
I've heard rumors that such programs exist or existed, but I don't have any concrete knowledge of them. That prorams that I have heard of tend to be research-focused and are 2+2+2 where the final two years spent doing research, and my university's program is 2+2+3. I'm clearly not an expert in this - does anybody else have info on this?