Combined Cardiology/Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cranialcombustion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does such a program exist, and if so would this allow for one to switch to Primary Care Cardiology after retiring from Cardiothoracic Surgery? I am only beginning to research and consider specialties, so I would appreciate if y'all could be a bit gentle in calling me an idiot for thinking such a thing would exist.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Does such a program exist, and if so would this allow for one to switch to Primary Care Cardiology after retiring from Cardiothoracic Surgery? I am only beginning to research and consider specialties, so I would appreciate if y'all could be a bit gentle in calling me an idiot for thinking such a thing would exist.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

in a word, no. to answer your second question, should you do cts, im + cards fellowship + interventional cards fellowship then yes, you could work as a cardiologist and thoracic surgeon. the issue is, once you completed all the training you'd be about ready to retire.

there are some cts programs that get exposure to catheter work, or so i've read, but never to the point where you would be a cardiologist and thoracic surgeon. from what i remember most of those are in the integrated cts residency world, too.

while the lines have blurred between the 2 (and many other procedural/surgical fields), there is still a fundamental difference in that one is ultimately a medicine field and the other surgical.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no such programs. And no point in combined training.