Combined Classes - DPM with MD/DO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Little Foot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that some schools combine DPM students with their MD/DO students in basic science classes. Which schools do this? It looks like Western and Arizona, possibly DMU and Scholl...any others? And am I right about the ones I mentioned?

I prefer a school that is more focused on podiatry students and does not teach us alongside non-podiatry students.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that some schools combine DPM students with their MD/DO students in basic science classes. Which schools do this? It looks like Western and Arizona, possibly DMU and Scholl...any others? And am I right about the ones I mentioned?

I prefer a school that is more focused on podiatry students and does not teach us alongside non-podiatry students.
AZPOD, Western, and DMU

What smurfey said. But Scholl also emphasizes interprofessionalism and some classes are taken with other programs like MD and pharmacy.
The Scholl website gave me the impression that we may be studying alongside MD students. I don't mind a class here and there, but I don't want to be taking all my classes and exams in the same room as them. MDs are going to look down on my the rest of my career, I don't need that to start first year of school :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The Scholl website gave me the impression that we may be studying alongside MD students. I don't mind a class here and there, but I don't want to be taking all my classes and exams in the same room as them. MDs are going to look down on my the rest of my career, I don't need that to start first year of school :(
Its the same professors. I dont think its combined except for maybe a class or 2

During the first year, you take Anatomy, a class on Professionalism and Intro to Clinical med with the M1 students.

Lectures and exams for those 3 courses are same for the Pods but you take exams with your Pod group and not with the M1s, except for the Intro to Clinical med course, where everyone takes the exams together.

You will have M1 students in the cadaver lab with you, intro to clinical med labs where you learn how to take vitals and stuff, and that professionalism class (along with PharmD, Nurse Anesthesia, PT, etc, students).

So even though the exam questions are the same for those courses, for the most part, you will take them with your fellow Pod students because as Pods, we take many more exams, where the MD students take 3 major exams only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
During the first year, you take Anatomy, a class on Professionalism and Intro to Clinical med with the M1 students.

Lectures and exams for those 3 courses are same for the Pods but you take exams with your Pod group and not with the M1s, except for the Intro to Clinical med course, where everyone takes the exams together.

You will have M1 students in the cadaver lab with you, intro to clinical med labs where you learn how to take vitals and stuff, and that professionalism class (along with PharmD, Nurse Anesthesia, PT, etc, students).

So even though the exam questions are the same for those courses, for the most part, you will take them with your fellow Pod students because as Pods, we take many more exams, where the MD students take 3 major exams only.
Is that at mostly every pod school? why do Pods take more exams than MD?

Is that at mostly every pod school? why do Pods take more exams than MD?

Yes, all of the Pod schools follow a similar curriculum and the curriculum of a school determines the number of exams in a given term.
Most of the US MD/DO schools follow a block like a curriculum that may or may not be systems based, so they take a big exam after each block. But not all MD/DO schools are alike so I'm sure there are schools where a student is taking a similar number of exams as a Pod student.

I rather have 2 exams per week than 1 big exam per month.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, all of the Pod schools follow a similar curriculum and the curriculum of a school determines the number of exams in a given term.
Most of the US MD/DO schools follow a block like a curriculum that may or may not be systems based, so they take a big exam after each block. But not all MD/DO schools are alike so I'm sure there are schools where a student is taking a similar number of exams as a Pod student.

I rather have 2 exams per week than 1 big exam per month.
I understand.

The schools which do not teach along side other Md/Do's are Kent, Barry, NYCPM, and Samuel Merrit.
The first 3 are the most terrible podiatry schools of the list.
On the contrary, Des Moines, AzPod, Scholl are top notch. Followed by Temple which is pretty good.

The schools which do not teach along side other Md/Do's are Kent, Barry, NYCPM, and Samuel Merrit.
The first 3 are the most terrible podiatry schools of the list.
On the contrary, Des Moines, AzPod, Scholl are top notch. Followed by Temple which is pretty good.
You quit podiatry school... You dont really have the credentials to make a statement like this.. Also, why are you still on this forum if you quit?

Nah I start med school in August. But I am also not claiming to know which schools are horrible and which ones are great.

That's good, it is very hard to know what school is horrible before even attending *podiatry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good, it is very hard to know what school is horrible before even attending *podiatry school.
Again, I am not claiming to know which schools are horrible.. You did, even though you attended one and didnt finish. So all I am saying is that you dont have the credentials to make a claim like that

Again, I am not claiming to know which schools are horrible.. You did, even though you attended one and didnt finish. So all I am saying is that you dont have the credentials to make a claim like that

I don't ? Wow! I didn't know that!
Thanks for letting me know.
I thought common sense was enough

Let me go back and finish my DPM at each individual school so I can get the credentials to write a review on here

Reactions: 1 user

Let me go back and finish my DPM at each individual school so I can get the credentials to write a review on here
Or graduate from one school and network with multiple grads from all the other schools. Either/or

I understand your perspective and smurfeyD's perspective. I know what you mean from your statement about some of the podiatry schools not being "top notch." It is true that some of them do not have the best board exam passing rates and residency placement match but it does not mean that they are god awful. Students do pass and get matched in residencies. Furthermore, it depends on the students as well to do well or not, so we can not blame the podiatry schools for that. Keep in mind that the stats to get into podiatry is much lower than MD/DO schools and therefore, some of these students who have fairly low stats could not be prepared for the rigorous curriculum of podiatry school.

Smurfey's response is a little too extreme that you need to become a podiatrist to know the podiatry school's reputation. Not necessarily is that true.

In my opinion, I think all of the podiatry schools do a fairly good job of producing knowledgeable podiatrists.

I understand your perspective and smurfeyD's perspective. I know what you mean from your statement about some of the podiatry schools not being "top notch." It is true that some of them do not have the best board exam passing rates and residency placement match but it does not mean that they are god awful. Students do pass and get matched in residencies. Furthermore, it depends on the students as well to do well or not, so we can not blame the podiatry schools for that. Keep in mind that the stats to get into podiatry is much lower than MD/DO schools and therefore, some of these students who have fairly low stats could not be prepared for the rigorous curriculum of podiatry school.

Smurfey's response is a little too extreme that you need to become a podiatrist to know the podiatry school's reputation. Not necessarily is that true.

In my opinion, I think all of the podiatry schools do a fairly good job of producing knowledgeable podiatrists.

Im just trolling Smurfey because the opinion you need to finish podiatry school to evaluate the school is ridiculous.

NYCPM students in their third year basically said the school is terrible, the pass rate is due to students, administration sucks. This was on interview day
Barry has a history of major issues with administration, teachers, etc, it basically resembles a Caribbean school on the forums
Kent is failing their students by large numbers since they guinea pigged their students.

AZPod has fantastic pass rates, integration, and matches.
DMU same story
Scholl is known to be an amazing medical school, seems like their students are learning the material based on their averages, and their research program is pretty solid

Dont need to be a student of podiatry (even though I was for an entire semester) to give a general evaluation of the schools and read some basic stats.

But then again you have to be an MD, DPM, PHD, JD, MBA according to smurfey LOL

Could you elaborate on Kent falling their students and the guinea pig comment? Like their student body is comprised of literal guinea pigs and thats why they have low pass scores because all they do is squeak and eat?

Ohio has always had a less than stellar class.

Im just trolling Smurfey because the opinion you need to finish podiatry school to evaluate the school is ridiculous.

NYCPM students in their third year basically said the school is terrible, the pass rate is due to students, administration sucks. This was on interview day
Barry has a history of major issues with administration, teachers, etc, it basically resembles a Caribbean school on the forums
Kent is failing their students by large numbers since they guinea pigged their students.

AZPod has fantastic pass rates, integration, and matches.
DMU same story
Scholl is known to be an amazing medical school, seems like their students are learning the material based on their averages, and their research program is pretty solid

Dont need to be a student of podiatry (even though I was for an entire semester) to give a general evaluation of the schools and read some basic stats.

But then again you have to be an MD, DPM, PHD, JD, MBA according to smurfey LOL

Could you elaborate on Kent falling their students and the guinea pig comment? Like their student body is comprised of literal guinea pigs and thats why they have low pass scores because all they do is squeak and eat?

Ohio has always had a less than stellar class.

Yes, they are all rodents who have little buckteeth and chew chew chew.
The forums and a friend who goes there indicates that their exam scores have been very poor in the past semester. Kent actually had an increase in their board pass rate however the school as a whole seems to fail majorly at getting students the material they need to do well on boards.
Students (3rd year ) says the reason their class did well was their own effort not staff.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder why they have such a big class. When I interviewed, the building was huge, maybe thats why they need warm bodies in the seats. I think they would be much better served taking 50 qualified students.

I think they would be better served if they actually moved to Kent State campus proper. They would get more advertising there with premedical societies as well and access to the college campus resources.

Yes, they are all rodents who have little buckteeth and chew chew chew.
The forums and a friend who goes there indicates that their exam scores have been very poor in the past semester. Kent actually had an increase in their board pass rate however the school as a whole seems to fail majorly at getting students the material they need to do well on boards.
Students (3rd year ) says the reason their class did well was their own effort not staff.

I wonder why they have such a big class. When I interviewed, the building was huge, maybe thats why they need warm bodies in the seats. I think they would be much better served taking 50 qualified students.

I think they would be better served if they actually moved to Kent State campus proper. They would get more advertising there with premedical societies as well and access to the college campus resources.

Cash revenue.
Their attrition rate has been close to 20% consistently.
I believe Kent state bought OCPM for the revenue.

1st year at AZpod. I actually chose here because of the integration. I think all podiatry schools should have to be integrated because we should get the same basic science class training as a DO/MD. It's beneficial for podiatry as whole in my opinion. People talk about being seen as the same as a DO/MD. Well it starts with the school. But with that said, not every school is a good fit for every student. Go to your interviews and feel out which one you like best.