Combined degree programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are combined degree programs worth looking into? MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/MA (in medical ethics, humanities, etc).

I guess I was so focused on getting into a medical school up until this point that I had never given dual-degree programs as much thought. But I got some introduction to them during med school interview days and they sounded interesting.

What kind of career paths do MD/MBA or MD/MPH's go into? (as in, when people apply for those programs, what kind of career visions do they have?) Do they give you any sort of "edge" when it comes to competitiveness for residency applications? What is an MD/MA useful for?!

Any insight would be helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

Getting another degree for the sake of padding your resume would be a colossal waste of time. On that note, a quick search of the forums will likely yield some informative threads regarding the advantages of each degree.

I don't think much of the MD/MBA combined because, IMHO, business school is best done after 3-5 years of experience in business.

The MA and MPH programs provide an additional skill set for students, particularly those interested in academic medicine, to engage in research and teaching in addition to clinical care.

Some people like to spend some time thinking big picture thoughts in addition to time spent thinking of about things at the microscopic and molecular level and a combined degree gives that opportunity.

MDs have been earning MPH degrees for at least 70 years... MA degrees in bioethics are newer, I think, but make it possible for physicians to speak the same language as philosophers, lawyers, nurses, and numerous other parties involved in issues regarding professionalism, patient rights, research ethics, end of life care, health policy, and so forth.