Combined IM/Psych vs. Fellowship- Geriatrics/Addiction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat a unique question. I'm currently considering combined IM/Psych programs, and was wondering if such a program would offer the flexibility to work in a subspecialty of psychiatry, say geriatric or addiction psychiatry, sans a respective fellowship? My main focus will be psychiatry, but have come to realize that I also can see myself enjoying practicing IM as well. If I were to do pure psych, coupled with a fellowship in either geriatrics or addiction, it would take me five years, the same time as a combined program. Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With careful choice of electives, an IM/psych residency can prepare you well for private practice geriatiric or addiction psychiatry. There will be some limitation in academic practice of these subspecialty areas without subspecialty board certification.

With careful choice of electives, an IM/psych residency can prepare you well for private practice geriatiric or addiction psychiatry. There will be some limitation in academic practice of these subspecialty areas without subspecialty board certification.

This sounds promising. Thanks for the information.