• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The following is a combined phase diagram diagram for materials A and B.

oxj0R.png

1.) Which of the following would have its volume reduced if the pressure is increased?

A. Material A at its triple point
B. Material B at its triple point
C. Material A at 1000 K and 1 atm
D. Material B at 273 K and 0.006 atm

Answer: C Riiiiiiiight.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
how is A ruled out? triple point features gases, in addition to the other phases, which are particularly voluminous.

so converting it to solid should reduce volume, shouldn't it?

B and D are obvious because they are identical.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
how is A ruled out? triple point features gases, in addition to the other phases, which are particularly voluminous.

so converting it to solid should reduce volume, shouldn't it?

B and D are obvious because they are identical.

That's true, I didn't think about A like that. Looking at it again, at 1000K and 1atm unknown A is a gas. If you increase the pressure it becomes a liquid. Gas to liquid results in definite volume loss.

I don't know why A is wrong though :/

About the Ads

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't see how B& D are identical, one is a the critical point, the latter is when B is a gas. And when material B is at 273 K and 0.006 atm and the pressure is increased, wouldn't it move from gas--> solid ?

But I do see how C is correct but that's quite a pressure jump! And the fact that's it's at 1000K value that's off the chart, really makes me want to understand why D is wrong.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
A is valid because it's going from a multiple to a solid, mostly.
B is valid too, unless it turns liquid.
C is clearly a gaseous molecule through and through, and seems to be the "most correct".
D is going to be a solid, St Jude. And it'll stay a solid when it's increased, but MAY turn into a liquid at higher pressures.

88LJd.png

I think the trick here is the negative slope. Or something. Gay.

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh, yeah I misread the graph when it comes to D. About A & B , I have this notion, that you can't really predict a increase/decrease in volume b/c at the triple point all three states exist, so how can you accurately predict a change. It just seems like it would take too much of an assumption to make without additional information.

Last edited:

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
C: b/c its most probably a super critical liquid (aka in liquid and gaseous phase). Increasing its pressure by any value would turn more supercritical gas into supercritical liquid (less voluminous)

also w/ a negative slope
Volume of g > s > l
w/ a postivie slope
volume of g > l > s

w/ the triple points you have all three phases so your overall volume change would probably not be as great as the one w/ the super critical fluid

folktale

Jun 30, 2010
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
C: b/c its most probably a super critical liquid (aka in liquid and gaseous phase). Increasing its pressure by any value would turn more supercritical gas into supercritical liquid (less voluminous)

also w/ a negative slope
Volume of g > s > l
w/ a postivie slope
volume of g > l > s

w/ the triple points you have all three phases so your overall volume change would probably not be as great as the one w/ the super critical fluid

I thought that once you pass the critical temperature, there's no way of converting the supercritical fluid into its liquid state? Only lowering the temperature would cause a conversion to a liquid.

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I thought that once you pass the critical temperature, there's no way of converting the supercritical fluid into its liquid state? Only lowering the temperature would cause a conversion to a liquid.

supercritical fluids have multiple densities b/c they exist in both a supercritical gas and supercritical liquid state

wiki
A supercritical fluid is any substance at a temperature and pressure above its critical point, where distinct liquid and gas phases do not exist. It can effuse through solids like a gas, and dissolve materials like a liquid. In addition, close to the critical point, small changes in pressure or temperature result in large changes in density, allowing many properties of a supercritical fluid to be "fine-tuned"

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.