Combined rural medicine / veterinary programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanceArmstrong

Level X Elite User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if they existed though...:D

Members don't see this ad.

That would totally go over where I'm from. "You mean you can treat the kids and the dog"

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I are trying this approach someday...

she's a 4th year vet student, and we plan to relocate rural together and serve a small town. We joke about opening a big clinic with a sign that says "People to the left, everyone else to the right..."

:)

My wife and I are trying this approach someday...

she's a 4th year vet student, and we plan to relocate rural together and serve a small town. We joke about opening a big clinic with a sign that says "People to the left, everyone else to the right..."

:)

That's actually not a bad idea, from an economic standpoint. Especially if you own the building. Separate entrances might be a good idea, just so there are not mix-ups, and little Johnny doesn't end up getting a rabies shot instead of varicella. ;)

You could both bring in business for the other.

I think it's actually a pretty good idea...!

Holy crap this would be cool.

Yeah, I would so do that.....

Can you imagine a medication error though?
"Wait! Which patient was supposed to get the euthanasia solution?"
"The weiner dog."
"Uh.....oops...."
"Quick! Someone call the poison control center and find out if anyone has ever survived 10cc of this stuff before!"
:smuggrin:

a family doc where I shadowed one summer brought his dog in to the ER for a chest CT. Ahh, rural life.

My ambulance crew transported a Chihuahua to the ED for gunshot wounds once.....note: this is funny now, it wasn't funny at the time (at least to the ER doc on duty)

There are rumors in my part of the country that as few as 20 years ago or so some of the vets would give antibiotics for the treatment of human aliments if asked, ex. strep throat and other bacterial infections. My last year of college I tutored a 30 something y/o guy who swore up and down that when he was a kid the farm vet who came to his folks dairy operation was his doc for everything but immunizations. I don't doubt it rural life is a bit different even more so 20 to 30 years ago.

mukisa